Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

O-ring or Fire ring???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John DiMartino
As someone who has had twins ,and driven 75K miles on them,for over 3 yrs,I would not be doing this stuff to a truck you need to run 100-150 miles a day reliably. Twins are awesome,but eventually your going to lose a head gasket,if your lucky,only once every yr or 2.You will also loose plenty of exhaust gaskets,and just have more things to go wrong.Id have a backup mode of transportation available if i were you,just speaking from experience here.
Many of the guys who run twins,do not drive these trucks daily or very limited miles.If i had it to do over,I would not have twinned my truck,although I change my mind everytime i plant my foot on level 5
John, do you run water/meth or N2O at all?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John DiMartino
.... Many of the guys who run twins, do not drive these trucks daily ..... If i had it to do over,I would not have twinned my truck,
I think things have changed. Twins for towing, twins on 450 hp trucks, twins for the heck of it or just to control EGT's!!
A lot of the guess work has disapperaed with all the twins out there now and I know many work trucks/daily drivers enjoying twins..... mine included! To be sure, there is more adjusting, tightening and tinkering involved... and IMO, anyone not checking drive pressures is gambling, and anyone driving twins w/o headwork is gambling big time... but other than that... I'm with Blue on this one.

On the other side of the coin... the new breed of medium & big single turbos out there are amazing and may be rewriting the 'bombing book' again!

RJ
Old 01-21-2007, 08:56 AM

when it comes to choosing the block or head for o-rings i wonder which has the thickest area where the machining is done?

the shop that installed my dtt said they thought the block was better also fwiw...
Old 01-21-2007, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
I think things have changed. Twins for towing, twins on 450 hp trucks, twins for the heck of it or just to control EGT's!!
A lot of the guess work has disapperaed with all the twins out there now and I know many work trucks/daily drivers enjoying twins..... mine included! To be sure, there is more adjusting, tightening and tinkering involved... and IMO, anyone not checking drive pressures is gambling, and anyone driving twins w/o headwork is gambling big time... but other than that... I'm with Blue on this one.

On the other side of the coin... the new breed of medium & big single turbos out there are amazing and may be rewriting the 'bombing book' again!

RJ
I am in that club, but a very new member. My reasoning was that the twins can go up or down in fueling fairly easily with almost no change to the set-up. And all the while easily keeping EGT's in check over essentially the entire RPM range.

For the cost side of things, a HX35/S400 kit is more than the cost of a "New Breed" single. But not that much more and you only have to pay it once.

Jim
Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 AM

Im running the same PDR twins you would get today,ARP 12mm studds,and a .020 gasket,Don M head w o rings,what is so much better about todays twins?They will still develope leaks,and break exxhaust housings from hanging all that weight.Brace or not,stuff still happens.Not a thing has happened to my truck in the last 2 yrs,but i still stand by my original post. Twins put a lot of pressure on the intercooler,and the rod bearings,you also coat yout trailer with oil mist from holding 50psi of boost on long hills.My white TT needs to be cleaned at a commercial truck wash from towing on hills.Yes i can out pull my buddies easily,but they dont have to clean off there trailers when we get where we are going.Its not that the engines worn out,it just wasnt meant to run at 50psi constantly.I like how a lot of the replys come from those who have no actual experience daily driving twins.All your information is off forums like these.I refuse to argue with anyone who reads about it,but hasnt done it,so to speak.FYI I do work my truck,very hard,and that is why I posted the oringal info.I plow snow,and tow heavy with it,as well as drag race.
I do not run anything but diesel fuel.i used to run nitrous,but after the last issue,never again.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:45 AM

I daily drove my 99 with twins at 650hp since April of 2004 without trouble. The current owner has also daily driven it with twins at 650HP since he bought it with no issues other than a VP44 dying again. If the twins are constructed properly (IdahoCTD built, PDR-style), I don't see it as a problem.

brandon.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:21 AM

so my buddy with the blown HG with the firering setup got his head off to find 3 broken firerings with tons of blowby into other cyl's and passages.
His old rings were copper but I guess haisley machine were loosing alot of them and now the rings are made of a mild steel.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:26 AM

I have had both,and this is just me,Id rather have a wire o ring up to 65psi(street truck).Above that the fire rings are the way to go.I have heard of a lot of guys losing the fire rings,and the cutting of the grooves for them is very,very critical.Any little mistake in depth and your going to be blowing the rings out.My wire o ring has been great now for over 2 1/2 yrs,and ive hit 80psi once by accident.I hit 65 pretty often.