Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

O-ring or Fire ring???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so what your saying is that orings can be cut into the block or the head???

i'm swapping my 53 block out of my 98 truck for another bottom end next summer, and i was going to oring the head at the same time.... but if i could have the block i have sitting here oringed that would save me some downtime...
Old 01-18-2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by 98.5POS
Thanks for the reply's, I've learned a lot. I dropped my head off today to get Fire rings installed (that's all they do) the owner of the shop says he's got 40 or so trucks running around with this head setup with no problems. He also told me that he does the same setup whether you're drag racing, sled pulling, heavy towing, or just street performance. Anyways, at least now I can put my twins on without worrying about how much bosst it makes! Thanks again

DH
he has to do the block to doesnt he? or is doing the head only ok
Old 01-19-2007, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99% of all O-rings OR Firerings are done to the head only!

RJ
Old 01-19-2007, 09:02 AM

That's what I thought. Plus, ringing the block kind stops you from ever going back to stock.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by mainer
so what your saying is that orings can be cut into the block or the head???

i'm swapping my 53 block out of my 98 truck for another bottom end next summer, and i was going to oring the head at the same time.... but if i could have the block i have sitting here oringed that would save me some downtime...
If the block is out of the truck, by all means o ring it.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:21 AM

We've been oringing the block for awhile now, even with the block in the truck. It's held up to incredible abuse from insane back pressure and nitrous. Keep 'em torqued and the quality of the machine work high.

brandon.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:52 AM
Banned

IF your making the same power and you deicde to o-ring or fire ring it one day, it wont change the drive-ability of it. I never understand it when people talk like that. Or only 500 hp is driveable. what the heck ever
Old 01-20-2007, 10:14 AM

so the main reason most oring the head is because its much easier to take out of the truck than the block.... correct?

so correct me if i'm wrong.... there is no difference in install if you oring the block vs: oring the head?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:47 AM

so the main reason most oring the head is because its much easier to take out of the truck than the block.... correct?

so correct me if i'm wrong.... there is no difference in install if you oring the block vs: oring the head?
Yes, it easier to o ring the head.

I have seen guys use a BHJ with block template to cut the groove in the block.

What installation differance are you talking about? Just installing the head, cutting the groove, or installing the wire?
Old 01-20-2007, 12:27 PM

i just mean does it work exactly the same way as if you oringed the head?

just install the wire into the block instead of the head, put gasket in, put head on and studs....

is it any harder for the shops to cut the block for orings than the head?
Old 01-20-2007, 12:42 PM

i just mean does it work exactly the same way as if you oringed the head?

just install the wire into the block instead of the head, put gasket in, put head on and studs....

is it any harder for the shops to cut the block for orings than the head?
I do not know of any shop in Utah that has the tooling to cut grooves in the block with leaving it in the truck.

I do know of a couple shops that will cut grooves in the block but you have to have it out of the truck.

O rings in the block or the head... They both work the same for assembly.

For the average guy I would just oring the head.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:47 PM

well what i'm doing is swapping blocks basically... because the block i'm swapping in for the 53 block is out of an 89 so the head on it has the 9mm injector bores... so i'm going to use the head thats in the truck on the 53 block....

the block i'm swapping in is sitting on an engine stand in my garage....
Old 01-20-2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by justinp20012500
I do not know of any shop in Utah that has the tooling to cut grooves in the block with leaving it in the truck.

I do know of a couple shops that will cut grooves in the block but you have to have it out of the truck.

O rings in the block or the head... They both work the same for assembly.

For the average guy I would just oring the head.
PDI can cut the block in the truck, or at least that is what the owner told me. He said, and I quote "I'd rather cut the block in the truck than the head, I think it holds better in the block". I'm going with cutting the head, cause once you cut the block there is no going back!.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by 98.5POS
A local shop (PDI) does fire rings, but not o-rings. Jetpilot (PDW) said in his opinion that fire rings aren't as streetable as o-rings. I drive my truck everyday (100-150 miles) and I don't want something that is going to fail like my stock HG did. What do the masses think?

As someone who has had twins ,and driven 75K miles on them,for over 3 yrs,I would not be doing this stuff to a truck you need to run 100-150 miles a day reliably. Twins are awesome,but eventually your going to lose a head gasket,if your lucky,only once every yr or 2.You will also loose plenty of exhaust gaskets,and just have more things to go wrong.Id have a backup mode of transportation available if i were you,just speaking from experience here.
Many of the guys who run twins,do not drive these trucks daily or very limited miles.If i had it to do over,I would not have twinned my truck,although I change my mind everytime i plant my foot on level 5
Old 01-21-2007, 03:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by John DiMartino
As someone who has had twins ,and driven 75K miles on them,for over 3 yrs,I would not be doing this stuff to a truck you need to run 100-150 miles a day reliably. Twins are awesome,but eventually your going to lose a head gasket,if your lucky,only once every yr or 2.You will also loose plenty of exhaust gaskets,and just have more things to go wrong.Id have a backup mode of transportation available if i were you,just speaking from experience here.
Many of the guys who run twins,do not drive these trucks daily or very limited miles.If i had it to do over,I would not have twinned my truck,although I change my mind everytime i plant my foot on level 5
Umm I'm gonna have to beg to differ. A lot of guys on this forum drive their twinned trucks everyday and some of them use them for a living. You are the first person I know of that has had these kind of issues with twins. IIRC, paulb is driving his truck daily with twins, Jim Fulmer used to drive his truck daily with twins, rjohnson, bnold, twinturbopilot (although he popped his head gasket after I believe 2 years of running with no studs or o-rings), not to mention the guys in the 3rd gen forum. If your blowing head gaskets that often and going through exhaust gaskets that often then I believe that either your beating your truck to hard or somethings not setup right cause once your head is o-ringed/fire ringed/studded and everything is torqued properly and the engine is allowed to reach operating temperature before beating on it then everything should hold just fine.

Quick Reply: O-ring or Fire ring???