Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

NV4500 rebuild options...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NV4500 rebuild options...?

so i have been contemplating rebuilding my NV4500 for quite some time...

im not looking to do it myself. tearing into a tranny would be too new to me and for the amount of time involved for me to try and rebuild this thing, it wouldnt pay off. plus i do not have the tools to do it without spending lots of $$$. so i am looking at options for a rebuild...a local shop rebuild or an exchange with a company.

whos has done an NV4500 exchange with a company? who was it? are you happy with the product? customer service? any issues with the rebuild? what was the cost after shipping? did it have the upgraded mainshaft? did it have carbon fiber synchronizers or bronze synchronizers?

if i go local, it would be in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area....anyone have experience with a rebuilder there?

any and all help is appreciated. i know Quad might be a popular answer but at $2000 plus shipping to and from, thats getting a little steep. what else is out there???

i just want to be able to shift through my gears without sticking on each one. i want to come to a stoplight and have it fall into 1st gear (as opposed to me shifting to 4th, then 2nd just to forcefully get it into 1st...its getting old!!).

thanks in advance!!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I knew it I would have invited you down here, 30 miles south from you. I just replaced my NV4500 2 days ago. I bought it at a local shop that sells rebuilt units from this local place
http://www.zbag.com/
I paid $ 1150 + tax and my core, 1 year warranty unlimited miles, I believe you can go and pick it up yourself.

It took a whole day but it went pretty smooth. I would put a new clutch into consideration while you have truck apart, I didn't do mine and I already regret it.
I don't know how they rebuild them, I assume standard brass syncros, but now mine is very smooth, and quiet.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pgilles, since your current setup is giving you shifting problem, why not experiment with a new lube, say the amsoil or the Redline MT-90? Some claim that it helps with shifting.

I recently overfilled my NV 4500 with the stock Syn Torq oil. It does shift a little smoother once warmed up anyway. It was a chore to put it in from the top but still just a 30 min chore.

I broke down in the middle of nowhere Utah when mine was rebuilt. Little shop 70 miles south of Moab. I first heard the rattling coasting down the hill to Moab and continued to pull 8K trailer 70 miles or so till it started binding up and getting really nasty as I coasted into the next town. 1300 for the tranny rebuild, 600 for labor to install, 100 for shop supplies, and 500 for my Valair clutch that I had thrown in at the same time.

My truck shifts into every gear great except for first. First is a little stiff. Before the rebuild, every gear was easy except 2nd. Mine has brass synchros. I complained about 1st and guy said brass takes a while to wear in. Wrong, shifts the same today as it did first test drive after rebuild.

Mine was a complete rebuild though, the main shaft quit lubing and the biggest planetary gear slowly chunked off nickel sized pieces of teeth 1/4" thick. That took out everything but the bearings, otherwise, a spun bearing and toasted case would have been more expensive than a junk yard tranny with 80,000 miles. The builder of course put in all new bearings, but also had to get two new shafts, all new synchros and gears.

If you do get a new tranny or rebuilt, be sure to ask about the 5th gear nut upgrade, so you don't lose fifth in the future.