Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Nu-B Numbers/bombing Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nu-B Numbers/bombing Info

O.K., just like most people here, I planned to keep my truck bone stock when I bought it. Well that idea is long gone, and I know I want to start fairly small and affordable, and increase power as time (and money) is more abundant. I know the first place to start- gauges. I have a trans temp. gauge I need to install, and I'll be buying boost and EGT gauges before doing much. Thats where the first questions come in.

-As a virgin "bomber", what boost pressures are good and bad? Gauges do no good if I don't know what to do with the info. I need to know what pressures to expect so I pick the proper gauge. I see gauges that go up to 35, 40, 60, and 100 PSI. I'm guessing a 60 PSI would be a good choice.

-EGTs. I have seen a fair amount about EGTs, so I can find that info pretty easily. But maybe others would like to info posted in one thread with the other stuff.

-Trans temps. I know from experience that an ideal trans fluid temp wouold be around 150-170, and that its lifespan starts getting shorter above 175-180. But in the real world, what do you guys see for typical numbers for different conditions, from stock and empty to bombed with a trailer behind?

I was checking out TSTs site and trying to figure out which plate to get. I don't tow crazy heavy loads, and I have the mystery switch hooked up to help with tranny life and lower temps. If I don't drive like an idiot, I think I could go with a #6 plate for 250/635 lbs. What else do i need to go along with it to make it work well, or is it all set to go in by itself? Is this a good choice, or am I nuts to go with that much torque with a stock tranny? I'll go with a #8 if its a better choice. I'm not in a position to do tranny work right now, so i want to make mine last until I have the time to do a manual conversion.

How much power can I get by just sliding the stock plate forward? If its a decent amount, maybe that would do me until I have the funds and time to go further. Of course I wouldn't move it until I had the gauges installed.

Sorry for questions that have probably been posted a thousand times. They are still new to me. I wouldn't be racing this truck or towing crazy heavy trailers (maybe 6000-8000 lbs. very rarely). i just want more power for passing power, better hillclimbing with a trailer, etc.

Jim
Old 08-30-2005, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are on the right track

Good gauges are a must first, If you are not going to wild on the BOMBING, then a 30-40 PSI gauge would be ok, but most ppl here have a 60 PSI and that seems more than adequete, my gauge is a 30 psi and its a POS.... Your stock ram produces about 18-21 pounds of boost, so for stock the 30 psi would be ok, You really shouldnt need anything over a 40 on boost though unless you are gonna get an aftermarket turbo, which in that case you should go higher..

You just want a truck a step up so to say, you are not in the market to do some drastic changes, well since u have an auto, id say get the eight plate or the six, u have the right idea, with a mystery switch hooked up it be easier on your pocket and drive train if you would use it too, Maybe u can stuff a 100 in there, but for a stock tranny that is overkill for sure..

If you slide the stock plate forward, you can expect about a 30 horsepower increase or so, but again, gauges are a must if you are gonna do this, it is advised as well if you have more fuel to burn, you should have better airflow, and a better exhaust.. nonetheless, best of luck, hope this helps..

Tx