Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Now I seriously respect tuned diesel trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I just figured out what's bugging my truck and causing the CEL.

It's the wire tapping.
I lowered the settings step by step and soon I realized that I had the fuel stretch at minimum 1200us and timing 0.
The light pops on as soon as the boost rises. Just a second before the CEL goes on the truck kicks and then it accelerates normally again.

After I unhooked the wire tapping I raised the timing to 7 and it acted normally. Except a lot of power was missing due the lack of wire tapping of course. No CEL's.

So, do I have a bad connection or is there something more going on?
I'm using the Blue Chips pump cover. I did not have it until the Adrenaline. So should I tap the pump wire again?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Erska
....I'm using the Blue Chips pump cover. I did not have it until the Adrenaline. So should I tap the pump wire again?
Worth trying. I had intermittant Adrenaline power once. Used too big a Posi-Tap and it did not pierce the wire properly. Got no CEL but got a dyno power curve that looked like a Roller Coaster!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:46 PM

Yeah, true. I'll try that when I have enough interest to crawl under to hood again.

It's funny you know, because the blue chip says, that measure the wire that you have around 12 volts from it, and I have. So it should work. But maybe it's the current that it can't handle.

I'd like to know what Quad thinks about this!
Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Erska
I just figured out what's bugging my truck and causing the CEL.

It's the wire tapping.
I lowered the settings step by step and soon I realized that I had the fuel stretch at minimum 1200us and timing 0.
The light pops on as soon as the boost rises. Just a second before the CEL goes on the truck kicks and then it accelerates normally again.

After I unhooked the wire tapping I raised the timing to 7 and it acted normally. Except a lot of power was missing due the lack of wire tapping of course. No CEL's.

So, do I have a bad connection or is there something more going on?
I'm using the Blue Chips pump cover. I did not have it until the Adrenaline. So should I tap the pump wire again?
Ok. I parted my truck again, and took the pump cover off, checked the connection. I "beeped" the connection with my voltage meter. I measured the resistance between the wire which usually is tapped and between the blue chip pump cover pin and it showed zero resistance, good connection. So I didn't had to do any wire tapping because that's allright. I also checked the resistance between the blue chip pump cover pin and the wire to adrenaline. It's ok.

It still does the same thing. I was monitoring the pulse and immediately when boost rises to 1psi the fuel stretch takes place and kicks in, or surges, whatever. and the check engine goes on. Even with the 1200us stretch!

And this is with a light part throttle only. Rpm's are under 2000rpm.

And when I rev the engine with neutral, in about 2800 the psi rises to 1 and it immediately starts to surge. So what's the problem? Is there such possibility that my map sensor could be faulty somehow? I need answers because I'm not liking this! I'm pretty sure that if I had my old TST PM3 on for fuel strech, it wouldn't be doing this. I'm not bashing quadzilla at all, but I'd like to know what is causing this problem. Because before quadzilla my TST PM3 worked perfectly. I know that I have bigger injectors now, but even with the 1 psi, it does it. It goes like posessed if I do a WOT run, but it still surges the whole time a little, and when I relase the throttle easily, it surges, rpm's jumps up and down until the boost goes to zero.

Now Quad, give me every possibility what's causing this, I'm pretty sure that it's not anymore because of my vp44. Could that wiring failure from factory do any harm with the adrenaline pod/pulse harness before I corrected it?

If I can't figure out what's causing this, can you guys check the box if I send it to you?

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it may be easier to start a new thread to catch quads eyes...... I hope you find a fix!!!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 AM

Just a thought.
Have you tried a total disconnect of the Adrenaline?
Unhook at MAP Sensor, Data Port and Pump cover.... see if problem is, or is not, in the Adrenaline!

RJ
Old 02-20-2009, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Just a thought.
Have you tried a total disconnect of the Adrenaline?
Unhook at MAP Sensor, Data Port and Pump cover.... see if problem is, or is not, in the Adrenaline!

RJ
There's no point for doing that because it only happens when the wire tapping takes its place. It does not do that in any other way. So to be clear, without adrenaline it does not do that. Or even with can bus fueling and timing, it does not still do that. But when I use Adrenalines fuel stretch it happens.

There's no reason to take the Adrenaline off because it clearly do that only when using higher levels when fuel stretch take it's place.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:19 AM

Do you have your TST still?
Install it and test if its doing the same! You have much bigger injectors than when you ran the TST, so you probably didn´t stress the VP as much as you do now. If your VP is dying this new combo(M6+ADR) maybe pushes the dying pump to the limits!
I dont say thats your VP is dying, but I think its a good guess if you never had to change it!
How many km´s on the odo? My VP died after 60 000 km and thats not uncommon.

What codes does it say when it turns on the CEL?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:44 AM

No I have not my TST, I sold it for 500euros few months ago and that just pisses me off because i'd like to have it now.

Obben, please read again my post, CEL comes on immediately even with the smallest touch of the throttle. At that point, the extra fuel what Adrenaline pumps in is less than 2millimeters in thorttle pedal movement without the Adrenaline. It doesn't suck the VP44 dry with ONE psi of boost.

The code I'm getting allways is p0253 only.

I have 111110 miles on my VP at this moment. I don't have any symptoms of a dying VP44, this is something else. And the mileage does not mean anything at this point. Some have blown their vp's in under 10000 miles and someone has over 200000 miles on their vp with big injectors.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:49 PM

I guess I'll throw my Quad away and smash it with 25 pound sledgehammer in to tiny pieces if this darn stupid flaw does not getting solved. And of course quad does not even answer to my questions. I pm'd him twice... argh...
Old 02-26-2009, 01:02 PM

I checked the ground on VP44 pin 6. Everything was ok. I don't know anything else to test. I'm trying to unplug my alternator tomorrow if there's something in to it. With voltage meter, the voltage difference was only 0.05volts without grid heater so I dont think that's the reason.

I'll submit a very angry thread tomorrow in this forum with a video to prove my trucks missfire.
I pm'd quad for a third time.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Chapter President

Sorry for your bad luck Erska. Your situation is a perfect example why I'll never give up my TST. The darn thing is next to bullet proof compared to some of these wizz bang boxes on the market.

Might want to adjust your APPS voltage to make sure everything is hunky dory there. You can also check the fuel pump relay.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 AM

Erska, I had my new injection pump installed yesterday. I immediately noticed that the truck was running way better than before. When I had the only stock my rpms would be around 850 in park and 750 in drive. The defective new pump installed, it just stuck at 750 rpms in park and 750 in drive. Now that I have the Industrial Injection pump on it went back to the way my oem was 850 rpms in park and 750 in drive. I am to big of a ***** right now to tap my pump because it will void warrenty. But Im going to pick up a smarty and give that a whirl to see if I can throw the CEL light. But I have a feeling it was the pump causing that issue.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:01 AM

Ok guys, let's do some updating on this topic.

I have solved the problems with my Quadzilla Adrenaline, box was bad.

It was extremely difficult to get it changed from here. I guess they didn't believe me at first. So I send the box for my friend who lives in Texas and he drove to their "headquarters" and personally waited to get the box changed. Now I have zero problems with it.

My truck still has the original VP44, 117k miles, no problems at all.

I also bought "cheap EDIT diesel chips torque converter lock-up box" and of course that was faulty as well, so they are sending a new unit to me and mainly because the dissapointment of the broken box I couldn't wait anymore so I did a lock-up switch.

Oh my what a difference! With just a little bit boost under launch and when DTT hits the locked 2nd gear four 37x12.5 tires are staring to burn on hard pavement!!

I just calculated with the quadzilla and based on our traditional quarter mile on one of our roads my truck does it well under 13 secs even without a boosted launch.

The only thing I'm lacking now is traction bars on the rear axle. Because of the mad shippings I'm going to do them by myself and that's the main reason why they aren't already on the truck.

Anyways, I made a short clip where I'm getting little hard with my truck.

The run on the video where it reads that I outran the speedo is the quarter mile straight.
From the forest tree line to the place where the cameraman is.

Just do your own calculations...

I have also wondered that how much will an aftermarket camshaft, water meth injection and new intake manifold will help me?

How much I could gain more power with those?

I have also thinked about funny gasses just for the public 1/4 mile days. First do some runs between the 12 and 13secs.

And after that just hit the funny button and do what, 10second run with big shot of N2O

Anyway, here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooju16MjobA

I also did couple separate cideos of how my DTT works with mild throttle accelerations...
Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDaiODtdu_g
Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obBqeH8Khs0

Thanks guys for your support and help!!

ps:Just wait for the rainy days when I'll get my cameraman outside of the truck...

Last edited by BC847; 05-31-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Language
Old 06-01-2010, 01:36 AM

Huh? After 130 more views and zero comments? I thought the video would be at least a little bit interesting. That's why I made it. But I guess I was wrong.

Quick Reply: Now I seriously respect tuned diesel trucks