Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Now I seriously respect tuned diesel trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Obben
Yes Maybe it is the VP taking a dump. Have you ever changed it?

No I have never changed it, but, it doesn't neccessarily mean that.

But maybe I'll eventually get my VP44 to be rebuildable and get larger plungers and piston on it. It' would be cool to get it somewhere around 200-300hp more for fuel over the stock SO pump.

Hey man, you should change your beat up air filter immediately. It's not a nice sight when turbo swallows one.... But I'm sure you already know that

RowJ: Do you have any idea what could cause this? How does the VP44 reacts if I have too large injectors for the pump cability for pumping more fuel? Just a thought, but this does not seem like it, because it makes those firing kind sounds even on neutral with minimal boost/no boost.

It's like the pump is loosing the timing or the fueling stroke due the excessive calibration of the adrenaline.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Erska
.. How does the VP44 reacts if I have too large injectors for the pump cability for pumping more fuel? Just a thought,
I don't think it's possible and I doubt that is your problem.
Have thought about it and can't come up with any answers.
Might try the Adrenaline with 0 timing.... just to see if problem disappears?

RJ
Old 02-16-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
442 is definately low for 1/8 mile.... depending on your weight. I'd say you are closer to 600 hp than 500 hp.
I've never been under 8 sec and run 85 to 87 mph regularly.

RJ
Esde: Taken care for.... Now AFE PG7!

RowJ: Racingweight is 7165 lbs. Quite a hard launch to get it into the sevens. Around 30 Psi I think. 1.772 sec 60ft and a little 4WD spinning the tires.

A bit more fuel and some tuning I hope to run steady high sevens this summer!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:26 PM

No I have never changed it, but, it doesn't neccessarily mean that.

But maybe I'll eventually get my VP44 to be rebuildable and get larger plungers and piston on it. It' would be cool to get it somewhere around 200-300hp more for fuel over the stock SO pump.

Hey man, you should change your beat up air filter immediately. It's not a nice sight when turbo swallows one.... But I'm sure you already know that

No it not neccesary thats the Pump, but I think it´s a good guess. I´ve had mine dying after 60000 km´s! P0216(timingerror) and dead pedalsyndrome!
My new one have 60000 km on it now, and seems to be healthy, even after a couple of vaporlocks, we´ll see how long it survives.

If I don´t remember wrong, the old pumps has a copperbushing that wears out, causing timingerrors and stuck plunger(dead pedal). Rebuilds come with steel(?)bushing. Dont quote me on this though!

Do you really think you can get that much more out of a VP44?
I know there are som nasty dieselpumpguys over at your place, but they have allready tried in the US with different results. MonsterVP(liabillity?) and II DragonFire (No real life results yet).
If it´s true I would definitly be interested in one.

Yeah yeah I know about filter! Allready taken care of
Filter collapsed on last racingweekend this summer. Dynoed without filter, but had to know how much the filter restricted. One of the dynostaff saw it and took a vid for fun.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:37 PM

you can use super glue also to hold the o ring in the head when you are dropping it on the block.

milk crates work well, I am 6 foot
Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Erska- I'm having the same issue as you with the CEL and the P0253 code. I just had a new reman vp installed and if I go above power level 2 on the adreanline it throws the CEL light immedately. From what I head it might be an electronic issue on the VP, but dont quote me on that. So I ordered a pump from Industral Injection to see if that will cure the problem.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:36 PM

RowJ:I'll try that soon as I'll drive with my truck again. I'll tell you the results.

OBben: I don't have even a clue about that, but the builder said that Cummins VP44 uses fairly small plungers and pistons and he could put larger ones in it for sure and run tests and tell me how much more it would flow.

I do not believe that my VP44 is failing because otherwise it works like a dream. It never done that with my hypertech timing and TST PM3 combo.

And it did this with the very beginning with the adrenaline. still... this is with stock injectors vs mach 6's.

I'm in such impression that the adrenaline or any of the chips are not using the pump wire untill boost rises, so it must be timig related because it does it without load as well.

Scow1: Interesting! Did you have the adrenaline with your old vp44 as well and it didn't do that? When you get your new pump? I'd like to know the results!
Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM

Turn the fuel stretch down to 1800us or less and it will probably stop. You are running it out of fuel.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:56 PM
The Guru

Time to put in a bigger pump. Have you tried other boxes? Mine works good just running an old edge drag box. For me a good run is one that truck still in one piece. I blew another head gasket coming home the other day. My boost guage pressure line blew off at 75psi and the truck was still pulling hard. Got home, there was a puddle under the truck. Its hard to hook-up unless you drive in 4x4 mode. I like the way that the rear fishtails after a hard pull. I'm gonna see what it take to get this VP truck over the 700rwhp on fuel. Just have to keep the fluids inside. Mines feels fast for a VP truck. I've run the mach 6's for three years now. Usually I'm around the mid 50 to low 60's for boost. With the new twins and pump, its a two, three seconds your over 50psi of boost. Look at the road, look at the guage its 70+. You can't take your foot out of it. I'm impressed myself.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Turn the fuel stretch down to 1800us or less and it will probably stop. You are running it out of fuel.
Where I'm running out of fuel? From the injection pump itself to produce enough fuel for the big injectors or is it because my lift pump is looses allmost 10psi pressure for a WOT run? From 19 to 10? I'm also using 3/8" fuel line. But this going to be change, I ordered 150gph Air Dog yesterday.

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Time to put in a bigger pump. Have you tried other boxes? Mine works good just running an old edge drag box. For me a good run is one that truck still in one piece. I blew another head gasket coming home the other day. My boost guage pressure line blew off at 75psi and the truck was still pulling hard. Got home, there was a puddle under the truck. Its hard to hook-up unless you drive in 4x4 mode. I like the way that the rear fishtails after a hard pull. I'm gonna see what it take to get this VP truck over the 700rwhp on fuel. Just have to keep the fluids inside. Mines feels fast for a VP truck. I've run the mach 6's for three years now. Usually I'm around the mid 50 to low 60's for boost. With the new twins and pump, its a two, three seconds your over 50psi of boost. Look at the road, look at the guage its 70+. You can't take your foot out of it. I'm impressed myself.
Yes I had TST PM3/Hypertech combo BEFORE the twins and mach 6's.

I could try Hypertech for timing and Adrenaline for fueling... hmmm...

Do you Mike mean also bigger lift pump or VP44?

Are you sure that your cylinder block is flat? Or what kind of O/fire ring method are you using? Maybe you should tab the block and put 14mm studs on it. I would just set my truck on fire with 5 head gasket failures in a year.

It funny by they way, because my mechanical boost gauge goes over 60 psi, from it's scale. but my map sees 56psi of boost and not even a one PSI more, EVER. But sometimes map shows only for 46-49 psi and the truck is struggling.

What kind of turbine wheel size do you have on your new turbos??

It's nice to see that your truck goes like posessed

Do you have any idea that what changes they have done to your "hot rod" VP44 over the original? Bigger plungers? What size?

Anyway, I think my truck is allways going to need 50-100hp more than stock 2500 series dodge because it's so darn overweighted... But it's more stable when doing WOT runs on a straight road....

Edit: I uploaded an old video from summer 2007 to youtube. I only had a DTT tranny, K&N air filter, magnaflow exhaust and tst pm3 on it... I thought you could enjoy more for seeing what against im racing with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N0R-wfXSb8
Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 AM

Where I'm running out of fuel? From the injection pump itself to produce enough fuel for the big injectors or is it because my lift pump
I believe Quad is saying you are running the VP-44 out of fuel at 2200us. At 2200 you are getting lots of low end torque but hurting the top end.

I don't think bigger fuel lines will make any difference. Many trucks over 600 hp do well with 3/8" fuel lines.
IMO, the VP-44 is the limiting factor.... not fuel lines or lift pumps, but the AirDog will help.

RJ
Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 AM

Exactly what I am saying.

The amount of fuel stretch it takes to drain the rotor on the VP caries from truck to truck and its mainly based on injector size. That is why we made this adjustable. Max, is not always best, we just truly wanted to give you the ful range of tuning.

I would also turn your timing down some. Even down lower than 7 will likely yield better results with very large injectors.

The Adrenaline set to 1200us or so is about equivalent to an Edge Comp. 1300-1400 is similar to a TST Competition. We all do it a little different but, those numbers end up being about what they do.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
The amount of fuel stretch it takes to drain the rotor on the VP ..... is mainly based on injector size.
.... Maximum, is not always best, we just wanted to give you the full range of tuning.

I would also turn your timing down some..... lower than 7 will likely yield better results with very large injectors.

The Adrenaline set to 1200us or so is about equivalent to an Edge Comp.
1300-1400us is similar to a TST Competition.
Great information.... Thanks Quad.

RJ
Old 02-17-2009, 06:03 PM
The Guru

Go with a bigger VP and run a high flow lift pump. The turbos are stock set-up, nothing exotic. This set-up the boost comes up sooner than my previous set-up. I run mach 6, and a hotrod VP. Calgary is around 3500ft, so the hurts the spool-up. No the block isn't warped. I bought the head without doing all the measurements on it and just installed it. I'm bet that the protrusion is off on the o-rings. The 160ft*lbs studs, will help get them to bite into the head gasket. Next step will be fire rings, but you have to remove the block to cut the orings into the block. A copper gasket would be nice as well. When I build my race engine, this things will be put to the test. My last head/orings, and my old twins I could run 60psi all day, no issues. Today running around 80psi is a different animal. You could why do you want to push it that hard. Its the only way to get the S475 to lite up good. It really doesn't come to life until its over 35psi of boost. The truck is still pulling hard. Once I get the head gasket figured I'll put it on a NOS/methanol diet.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 AM

Ok, thanks quad!

I'll be eventually upgrade to a VP44 which is built in here with bigger internals.

I know you guys have some good pros there, but I hate the way how they sell stuff. I wan't to know excatly what it is alterned and how much it improves it over the stock. That's the way I like the ADR.&Pulse so much. I have the control.

But then again, I can allways go for the meanest Monster VP44, that pump is giving me some thoughts.... I kinda like that. But only after my original vp44 goes out.

Mike: I have Firerings on the head only and so far it seems to be ok. My head was measured and straighten up. I have had never any head problems and my head was warped from the center, just because it was so long.

I'm living somewhere 150-800 feet above the sea so I don't have that problem.

But I have noticed that I got incredible amount of white smoke from the exhaust when the IAT drops below 30 to 25 F. The outside temp is something like -30F when that happens. When IAT temps keep up 32F then everything is fine. You should take a video of your truck!

Quick Reply: Now I seriously respect tuned diesel trucks