Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Now I seriously respect tuned diesel trucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erska
Here's a video for its first startup after the headwrork, twins,injectors and everything!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7w_2NdgJYE

Hey Erska, what's all that jibberish about at the beginning of the video ?

Congratulations I think you made some good decisions on mods.

I hope we all get to see some action video soon

Eric
Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Hey Erska, what's all that jibberish about at the beginning of the video ?

Congratulations I think you made some good decisions on mods.

I hope we all get to see some action video soon

Eric
That's just my friend mumbling some Finnish!
"Lähti jo. Viime hetken säädöt vielä tähän väliin." ="Filming now. Doing some of last minute adjustments."

And when the truck started the cameraman freaks out and says "Jumalauta!" which means Holy s**t! And my other friend just responses "Se vähän jo kuulosti moottorilta!" ="Now that sounded little like an engine!"

Thanks! I didn't make my mind very fast, I have been thinking these mods since the very beginning. Or at least when I was ordering the tranny.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 PM
The Guru

Erska, you have vaccum or pressure at the cap? How does the vapour look like. If its looks like spent combustion, you one of you're injector is lose and needs tighting (Thanks hohn), if it doesn't you're roll over valve is plugged up, or you strainer on the bottom of the fuel system cartride is plugged. What fuel pumps are you using? Hopefully not the stock stuff, I didn't read to the start of this thread. Video some tire abuse (a burnout picture), make it a good 30 to 40footer buddy. We have to get this truck to run good.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:41 AM

Actually I don't know, I have been thinking that it would be vacuum.

Because if it is pressure, then opening the fuel tank cap wouldn't help for my fuel pressure. My fuel pressure dropped from 15 to 5 psi but after opening the cap, only 15 to 10.

No I adjusted my regulator valve by putting three washers under the spring and my fuel pressure jumped from 15 to 19psi. My fuel pressure still frops to 10 when fuel tank cap is open and when closed about 5-7 psi.

Yesterday it died on a short accerlation when I let the throttle off and It didn't started up right away because fuel pressure was 0. Even though it showed 10 psi when I let the throttle off.

That truck emptied my fuel filter!!

I changed the fuel filter today, for what I know, the 15k miles and 2 years old filter was not dirty and plugged at all.

¨

Where the roll-over valve is located? Inside of the cap?

I'm using the glacierdieselpower Walbro kit
I have this kit, but mine is older model, 391:
http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...?pf_id=3929852

I have a fleetguard pre-strainer before the pump, That's the last thing what is not checked.
I guess I have to start looking for a commercial truck fuel filter system with water/air vapor systems and mounth those on under the truck on the frame and throw that stock fuel filter away.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That pre-filter could very well be a problem slowing fuel into your pump.
The roll over valve is on the top of your fuel tank and is located in the fuel module beside your lines coming out. Your problem does sound like it would be a vacume .
By the way that is one of the nicest trucks anywhere the way you have set it up --a real good looker and soon to be a top performer as well !!!!
Old 12-20-2008, 11:16 AM

I took some pictures of the fuel module.

I drew some nice Ms paint arrows on the pic so you can tell which one is it.

The red or black arrow?

The one where red arrow points has a screw on top of it. I hope it's not that, seems more like a plug. I'm going to buy a separate valve soon and drill it inside the fuel cap itself so I can get rid of this stupid vacuum problem

On monday I'm heading to the John Deere forestry shop and buy a new fuel filtration system. Any suggestions which kind of system would be the best?

Rattlerbob5.9:
Thanks you for your supportive comments. I'm sure I can get her running good soon.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:55 PM
The Guru

Thats the roll over valve behind the plug (black), its has a 1/8 outlet off. Just turn it 90 deg's, it should pop out. There is a waffer spring under it. Inside there is a check valve. Once you get pressure or roll over there is no vent. I just went thru this myself. I just ripped out the plug, so what its gonna leak a little diesel when the truck upside down. Mine was plugged solid. I bought a brand new valve by you could just clean out your's. If you have lots of pressure at the cap, one of you're injector is not seated correctly and you have some combustion pressure going into the fuel system thru the vent at the back of the head. Next drop of the tank out of the truck. Pull the fuel pick-up units out. Do not touch the fine mesh stainer at the bottom of the fuel pick-up. If you can use brake clean or something to clean it up do it. If you can't you'll have to rip off the pick-up. Mine was plugged up solid, with grit, sand and so on. I had to rip mine off and clean-up the entire unit. Its not perfect, but who cares. I have a rock solid fuel pressure, and no pressure at the tank. You're VP isn't get enough fuel and causing vapor lock. Vulcan has a pick-up straw that works as well. Dodge doesn't sell this unit anymore and no one is rebopping out the pick-up unit.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:09 PM
The Guru

Don't throw away the stock stuff. You can drill larger ports in and out out of the stock filter unit. There a 400 watt fuel heater on the stock filter. I don't run one, but the stocker has a 3 micron rating filter. You might not get any cold weather up there, so you might not have gel up issues. I run a 1/2in line from the tank to the fass pump. I can't remember if the fass is 1in inlet or 3/4in, but I had a hydraulic shop build me a 1/2in line crimped fits. Then I ran a 1/2in from the fass to the injection pump. There's a pressure relief line on top the outlet, going to the tank fill vent line. You could put in a needle valve and just adjust until you get the pressure that you want. Last week I ran 30psi at the pump. The truck seemed to start better, but it could just be a mind thing. I needed two post to just to go blabba on
Old 12-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll check the valve tomorrow. It's little easier to do that when you can sit under the truck and watch for what you're doing. Thank god I have a body lift and it has solved a lot clearance problems for me.

One of the two offical vp44 rebuilders in here said that the vaporized air is going to kill the vp44 very quickly so I have been very gentle to it after it died in short wot accerlation.... (Please forgive me turbos)

It drained the whole fuel filter even though the pressures did not drop below 10psi! When I tried to start my truck immediately after it stalled, the fuel pressures were down to zero and I actually had to wait before the fuel filter was full again...

Edit: Maybe I can find a system in here that has a fuel heater, so I can route the stock wires under the truck to my new filtration system.

I hate the stock fuel filter replacement, even though it's pretty easy, but it would been easier if it would be like an oil filter.

And we DO have some really cold weathers in here. But the last three years our climate in the southern Finland has been like a crappy London weather. Lots of water but no snow... But at least we have our Lapland which is in an arctic circle like the whole northern Finland.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:09 AM
The Guru

Pull the fuel pick-up unit out of tank. Take pictures of the unit. Its not that bad of job, just unclip the wiring harness and unplug the hoses, prior to dropping the tank. Throw away the fuel tank brace that covers 2 to 3in of the fuel tank and the drive shaft. If you really go 4X4, you need better stuff anyways. If you don't, then why worry. After that there is two bolts that hold the tank in place. You can remove the rear left tires, or just drop down the tank on a jack. The first piece to hang up on is the wiring for the fuel level indication. Its easier to get at hoses and wiring if you drop the tank down to as far as you can (about 2 to 3 inches). I've done mine a zillion times. I can get my tank out in about 1/2hr. I bet that you're fuel pick-up fuel pre-filter is clouged up. Another thing to try is feed the pump with another source of fuel. If the problem is fixed. The dodge design fuel tank is junk for high HP trucks. The only good thing about is that you can use the entire tank of fuel. Without a strainer you can only go down to 1/8th of a tank. Trucks that have suspension lifts are easier to work under the truck. You haven't put too many miles on the VP yet, so don't worry, VP fail anyways, just beat on it. As for you chevy buddy, a good shot of nos would check to see if you're wastegates are set right and how good you're head gasket is. Happy wrenching. It would be blast to see you're big truck beat that small shevy.

Dodge, put in another heavy wire mesh screen. To catch the big stuff. I never ran that fuel pump, so I don't have lots of suggestions. I like my Fass150 and its been a good pump from day one. I have about 200000km on mine or 4 years.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:05 PM

I think that I don't even have that fuel tank brace.

I'll drive around first a little before dropping my tank. It's full of fuel at the moment.

Do you guys have any tips for checking that fuel gauge sensor? My fuel gauge has been showing some false readings few times.

I think I won't even do high twelves with my truck, well we'll see it then. But I'd be just blowing my motor with NOS and still ccouldn't catch that chevy.

But I can say that if my motor does a total melt down for some reason, I'd like to do a 6.7 p-pump conversion...
Old 12-21-2008, 05:25 PM
The Guru

You're engine will do ok with nos. Just run a hoobs pressure switch so that the spray comes on after 20 psi. I understand the full tank thingy, been there too. Done a tank drop on a 3/4 tank, its not fun. below 1/4 tank it isn't bad. When you drop the tank you could try plugging the pick-up back in without the tank and try different levels. A ohm meter will tell you if its working or not. If you have an open circuit, the pick-up is toast.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My fuel gauge gave false readings so I just changed the float out for a new one. There should be a vent on the tank, it must be clogged. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 AM

I'm still waiting for the airdog to arrive in here, but however, I took a photo to show you guys that it does give some black smoke untill the turbos light up...

Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that still with the Adrenaline as it came from the factory. The Comp2 tune should double the smoke ... and the dyno tune will black out the sun!

RJ

Quick Reply: Now I seriously respect tuned diesel trucks