Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

No smoke with Juice...why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No smoke with Juice...why?

I recently installed the J/A and other than from a stop I don't get any smoke on levels 1-5 (have not used 6 yet). I have a stock turbo with elbow. I can get over 1350* on 3-5, very quickly on 5, but no smoke on the top end or stomping from a roll. Are the injectors that clean burning? I'm not a smoke addict but to me smoke means room to grow and it seems that I don't have much. Top end pull doesn't seem very hard either. Do I have problems?

Thanks for any help
Old 12-04-2007, 09:37 PM

did you turn up the low boost fueling it is adjustable
Old 12-04-2007, 09:55 PM

with my juice with stock turbo and mach 4.5s my EGTs would hit 1550* in a matter of a few seconds but it only smoked before my turbo spooled. at WOT there was maybe a slight haze but not a thick cloud like you might see at the truck pulls. for that you need a way over fueled 12 valve.

Make sure your low boost fueling is turned up all the way. The only time you will have 0 boost with a auto tranny is at take off or if your going along let off till boost reads 0 then mash it to the carpet. or you could try and a brake tork but i dont know how happy your tranny would be with that.

here is some pics of what mine would do. these were taken in 2wd 3rd gear and i would bog it and slip the clutch bad to try and get as much smoke as possible. If i reved it up and just dumped the clutch there would barly even be a puff of smoke. in the one pic you will notice the big cloud but right out of my stack its clear as can be because thats when my turbo got spooled not because i let off.

heres a pic of what it would to with the juice and stock injectors for comparison. I got goin in second gear at about 1000 rpm and floored it.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:53 AM

I'm not trying to make smoke. I would like to get a bigger turbo but if it is already clearing up with the stock turbo I don't know how much it would help. The EGTs increase enough for me to justify one but it makes me think it will just cool things down and not pull any harder up top.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Chapter President

What boost readings are you seeing?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:35 PM

one thing to keep in mind a aftermarket turbo will most likely have a more free flowing exhaust side which = more power
Old 12-05-2007, 06:13 PM

If you're worried about not really gaining much by going to larger turbo you can always throw a set of sticks in or higher flowing nozzles.

Trending Topics

Old 12-05-2007, 06:36 PM

Nozzles r the way to go most bag for the buck
Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 PM

I am making 28-29lbs boost on all levels. I am running mach 3.5s, I figured they should be able to supply enough fuel to overpower a stock turbo on the higher levels. They are about 135hp injectors.

Does anyone run a similar setup with Mach injectors? How does your topend look at the tail pipe? Maybe they're just good injectors.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 PM

mach injectors are very clean compared to some. with my 4.5s and the stock turbo i would bearly get a haze at WOT once my turbo spooled. with my juice off it hardly even smokes at all.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:44 PM

How does it look now with your 62 turbo?

Originally Posted by muddin_mavric
mach injectors are very clean compared to some. with my 4.5s and the stock turbo i would bearly get a haze at WOT once my turbo spooled. with my juice off it hardly even smokes at all.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 AM

if i want i can make it smoke more only because this turbo has a little more lag so it takes longer befor it starts to spool so it will smoke a little longer. but the smoke thickness is pretty much unchanged. at WOT there might still be a slight haze im not real sure because now im more woried about where im going than whats behind me. i can drive around 100% smoke free with maybe a slight haze at times.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by turboost
I am making 28-29lbs boost on all levels. I am running mach 3.5s, I figured they should be able to supply enough fuel to overpower a stock turbo on the higher levels. They are about 135hp injectors.

Does anyone run a similar setup with Mach injectors? How does your topend look at the tail pipe? Maybe they're just good injectors.
Thats not what boost you should be making for those injectors and a Hot J/A. Check for Leaks. Do you have a boost elbow?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:43 AM

I do have a boost elbow that I am using from my 12v which is how much boost it made with injectors and a plate. The turbo spools hard to 28psi and then you can tell the WG takes control. I don't think I want any more boost coming from the stock turbo. If boost was the problem though I think I would see more smoke.

Maybe I'm just not accustomed to the way a VP44 fuels. I've had a modified 12v and CR and I could always smoke pretty good on the top end especially with the stock turbo.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Chapter President

32lbs is generally considered the upper limit of the stock turbo. I think you would like the couple of more PSI available.

Quick Reply: No smoke with Juice...why?