Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

No more lift pump or VP44 worries

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A P pump conversion for a Gen 2 is not very cost effective.
The biggest issue with Gen 2's is lift pumps failing, evenually taking the VP too.
The cheapest, easiest thing to keep your truck running is a fuel pressure gauge. As long as you are seeing 9 or 10+ on the gauge, the VP is reliable and will last a long time.
Another long time recommedation is the Vulcan kit, or something similar. It moves the LP back by the tank, but equally significant, removes all the Banjo bolts in the fuel system. It also provides a nice hook-up for your FP gauge.
The Campaigh LP's from Cummins seem like they have held up fairly well, for about $65. I carry a spare, as do many on this site.
I have not any any posts of people that kept up with their FP, losing the VP.
I am sure it happenned, just not a lot.
Another issue, lubrication of pumps, injectors with new ULSD diesel. Seems like 2 stroke oil is a good recommendation there, lots of posts on that subject.
You can add a FP gauge, $75, more or less, Vulcan, $130, Spare LP pumps $65 and be good to go for a long, long time.
My $02.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by supr
I have not any any posts of people that kept up with their FP, losing the VP.
I am sure it happenned, just not a lot.
Unfortunately, I am in the midst of this now. I've been told that it can happen and that the volume to the pump is important too - IE larger fuel lines. My VP is apparently going slowly but I have almost 12psi at idle and have for a long time with the stock LP and stock lines. I have all of the death codes and a bad engine surge at the middle RPM range.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Texaschevelle
As noted i recently bought a 2002 QC 3/4 cummins 4x4 with 62k miles. i want to know what product, if any can i add to the truck to insure i will not have to worry about fuel starvation problems. i have heard of the FASS system. If this added, can I be sure that common problems with these lift and injector pumps are gone? Any insight would be appreciated. I stay worried when i drive my truck all the time that something could go wrong. i want to head it off at the pass!
Fixing fuel starvation is not a guarantee of VP or LP survival.

It's a good idea to upgrade your fuel system, just don't expect it to be a magic bullet.

jh
Old 06-20-2007, 05:12 PM
RAF

Just going to throw this one in. I have a FASS runs 14psi at cruse and can only bring it down to 12psi. So this helped with cooling the VP44. After doing some reading I decied to start useing 2 cycle oil in the mix. (1qt. per fill up) this helps with the lubrication of the VP44. Have been running this way for about a year.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 PM

Thanks fellas. As far as the 2-stroke oil, I am using the Lucas fuel treatment. Is 2-stroke better? Can I use the Lucas and mabye 1/4 2-stroke? Or should i do either one or the other.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:13 PM
RAF

I don't know about the other additives but I was using Power Service buy the gallon and mixing it with Marvels Mystery Oil the 2 cycle was less than half the price.

The one thing I noticed is that the VP44 is quieter with the 2cycle than it was with the PS/MMO.