Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

No Codes,No Pressure No Lift Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Codes,No Pressure No Lift Pump?

I installed a mechanical Precol fuel pressure gauge. Tapped the bottom of the fuel filter using Geno's magical bolt. Screwed needle valve directly into bolt (some on this site went the other way and used a fitting between the banjo and valve...my unit is upside down from theirs and used fewer parts...does it matter?) Bottom line all hooked up...no leaks...and 4psi at idle...@1500 RPM pegged...wot pegged. the more I step on it the lower it gets.

Fuel filter changed during the install. Used the pump to prime the system...could hear it running. No problem getting it started. When I first bought the truck (7k ago) I could hear the pump inside the cab but not now have to open the hood. Have never had a problem starting it. It seem to have good response...recently pulled a light U Haul 500 miles @ 65-75 mph no problem. Doesn't smoke. Cycled the ignition... no codes.

My question is could I have a bad gauge? Is there a cheap gauge at auto parts store or other I could hook up to this system 1/8 NPT. to confirm readings Could I do a flow test on the pump somehow. If so what flow rate should I expect?. If I need a new lift pump what should it cost approx installed. I see pumps retail for @ 150 and Im thinking an hour's labor with the right tools and knowhow? Should I trust the VP? going on a long trip soon.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
While I'm sure they make defective gauges every day, I'm more liekly to believe you have a lift pump going out.
If you have so little pressure now, you should be looking to replace the lift pump very soon, and drive the truck as little as possible between now and then.
I just put a VP44 on a buddy's 2001, who ran for a while with a bad LP. He did finally have me put a FASS II on it, but not before he cooked the VP44. Pay now or pay more later.
No codes is a good thing. It means that the VP44 is OK. You should get that new pump on before your trip.

I don't know what the labor rate should be for the LP install. It should be an hour, but I haven't looked it up in the labor guide. If you plan to keep the truck, I suggest you just get the FASS II, and be done with it.

Chris
Old 07-03-2005, 03:23 AM
Banned

I agree with stamey on everything but the FASSII. I've got a holley blue on mine with new fuel line for less than the FASSII. Opinions differ on what aftermarket pump to get but they all agree that you need a new one ASAP!!!!!!!.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:01 PM

Hey thanks for the input...guess I was in D-nile .Pulled the pump this afternoon...all went well except for one of the bolts on the support bracket had seized...hard to work two nuts on one bolt with one hand... had to take the pump support bracket off to get that last bolt out. Felt like I was part of the engine when finished.Will do the install tomorrow. Best Price so far for pump in SLC area Pep Boys $175.00+ tax. 4 in stock. Will check with Cummins and Freifgtliner tomorrow and keep you posted. Thanks again

Xbnkrbrkr
Old 07-05-2005, 10:41 PM

pumps in...got 15 psi a idle...check the rest on road tomorrow/ Pump cost 162 @ cummins. Watch out for those washers 2.30 ea. Cracked the banjo bolt at the VP inlet... bumped the starter 3-4 times until fuel came out ...tightened it up and it started on the first try. Thanks to all. Thinking about putting a holly blue back by the tank as a pusher anyone out there done this?

Xbnkrbrkr
Old 07-06-2005, 08:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by xbnkrbrkr
Thinking about putting a holly blue back by the tank as a pusher anyone out there done this?

Xbnkrbrkr
Sure they have, and introduced *2* points of failure in the process. I'm not saying it won't work, but it just seems to me that if your main lift pump fails, you're still screwed.
Save up and get yourself a FASS II and be done with it. If you don't want a FASS II,. PM me, I have a kit I will sell you that uses a Holley.

Chris