Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

No to BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is always a lot of opinions on air filters, not as many as trannies but close.... Here is my take on the BHAF, several years ago when they first came one the scene I gave on a try and it seemed pretty good. But as time progressed so did our options and so did my filter.

Now fast forward a few years and hundreds of dyno runs later and I can tell you without a doubt that the BHAF isn't any better than the OEM box that has the snorkle removed and a few holes drilled in it. In fact when we dynoed a moderatly modified truck using the OEM filter box vs BHAF the HP actaully went down about 4 RWHP. Now this isn't much but when you dyno as much as I was gaining or loosing any HP was what I was looking for.

In all actuality the only filter that I have dynoed with on a second gen truck that has increased HP over the stock airbox on a modifed truck was an AFE Mega-Cannon. I even went so far as to try a velocity stack and no filter and saw no HP gain over the AFE. This was on a truck making around 600 RWHP.

Doug
Old 11-18-2005, 06:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Boatnik, here's Wannadiesel's setup. I think it's the best all around setup. It's what I plan to do when my HTT stage III comes in the mail (very soon ) Pieces are found here-- www.airflo.com

Old 11-18-2005, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jetpilot
There is always a lot of opinions on air filters, not as many as trannies but close.... Here is my take on the BHAF, several years ago when they first came one the scene I gave on a try and it seemed pretty good. But as time progressed so did our options and so did my filter.

Now fast forward a few years and hundreds of dyno runs later and I can tell you without a doubt that the BHAF isn't any better than the OEM box that has the snorkle removed and a few holes drilled in it. In fact when we dynoed a moderatly modified truck using the OEM filter box vs BHAF the HP actaully went down about 4 RWHP. Now this isn't much but when you dyno as much as I was gaining or loosing any HP was what I was looking for.

In all actuality the only filter that I have dynoed with on a second gen truck that has increased HP over the stock airbox on a modifed truck was an AFE Mega-Cannon. I even went so far as to try a velocity stack and no filter and saw no HP gain over the AFE. This was on a truck making around 600 RWHP.

Doug
Amen.

One other thing I'd like to add is, if you can't see a difference on the dyno by the addition of an air filter, how the heck can you feel it on the street?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pgilles
dont forget a hammer and some swearing...
I'm well aquainted with both, I was a Navy Nuke,youknowwhatImean?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by G1625S
Boatnik, here's Wannadiesel's setup. I think it's the best all around setup. It's what I plan to do when my HTT stage III comes in the mail (very soon ) Pieces are found here-- www.airflo.com

Ok Dave, Where did you get the elbows? They look like something in the West Marine catalog.

I found them on the link . They are a lot cheaper than West Marine and they look the same.

You guys are all laughing it up now aren't you? You can't leave well enough alone, can you? Do you realize how much this great buy of a truck is costing ME! BOMBS AWAY!
Old 11-19-2005, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
Amen.

One other thing I'd like to add is, if you can't see a difference on the dyno by the addition of an air filter, how the heck can you feel it on the street?

You may not make more PEAK horsepower, but spoolup will be better, and it will whistle more in the cab. Peak numbers arent always what you want.

Eric
Old 11-19-2005, 12:38 AM

The Factory Air Filter won't even break a sweat untill 300RWHP.

Stick with the factory one,, you will save money, and the air will be filtered to near perfect.

Merrick
Old 11-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The BHAF is bigger than the whole 1st gen air filter housing.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:46 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatnik
I haven't given it much thought but I know where a few are and I will find out for certain. THe first gens air filter are mounted behind the head light and I believe the seconds are back by the hinge. If the tube will straighten it might fit. Of course with a little ingenuity and a couple 45 degree elbows???????
Heres what the second gen tube looks like.

Originally Posted by MCummings
The Factory Air Filter won't even break a sweat untill 300RWHP.
But the BHAF makes the turbo sound so much nicer. The first drive I did after I put the BHAF on I had this on my face ---> . Plus seeing the look on a ricer guys face when you have the hood open is pretty good, looks something like this ---> or this .
Old 11-20-2005, 06:43 PM

Well It seem like me and you Jr are running close in design again... I've finally got a heat shield add to mine..

As for the tube idea... Did anyone find out if a 2nd Gen air tube would fit a 1st Gen turbo???

Old 11-20-2005, 09:36 PM

I always thought the stock 1st. Gen. filter was nearly a BHAF. I spaced the plate on my '92 out a 1/2 for more air access.
I'm surprised a velocity stack didn't improve anything. Was it at least 2 diameters long?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
You may not make more PEAK horsepower, but spoolup will be better, and it will whistle more in the cab. Peak numbers arent always what you want.

Eric
If spoolup is better you will see it on the dyno. There will be more area under the power curve. There will be a power increase lower down in the curve.

The BHAF does,'t help spooling. If you can't see it on the dyno, you only think you're feeling it on the street.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Boatnik
I'm well aquainted with both, I was a Navy Nuke,youknowwhatImean?

Oh NO !!

not another one !!!

(retired navy nuke here)
Old 12-05-2005, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
Oh NO !!

not another one !!!

(retired navy nuke here)
I ain't retired yet, just changed where the paycheck comes from. I'm really still a nuke in the civilian world. It is a different set of STUPID RULES!