Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

No to BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
No to BHAF

FYI
The results are posted from our Dyno day at Abacus racing in VA Beach. On the second run I posted 189.7 hp and 489.8 torque. For the third run I pulled the stock air filter at the turbo and posted the exact same torque and gained only one half of a horse power. EGT's stayed at 1200. I think I will wait until the next upgrades before I spring for a BHAF, or at least until the stock filter is to dirty to run any more.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think your EGT under a sustained load would be better with the BHAF. I'm not surprised that you didn't gain any HP, though. Fuel = HP, air = useable HP.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't expect a 189hp engine to need more than stock CTD airflow.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatnik
FYI
The results are posted from our Dyno day at Abacus racing in VA Beach. On the second run I posted 189.7 hp and 489.8 torque. For the third run I pulled the stock air filter at the turbo and posted the exact same torque and gained only one half of a horse power. EGT's stayed at 1200. I think I will wait until the next upgrades before I spring for a BHAF, or at least until the stock filter is to dirty to run any more.
you dyno'ed without any sort of air filter? risky.

maybe hot air from the radiator was blasting straight into the turbo and therefore if you had a BHAF in the corner/fender grabbing cooler air you may not have been robbed of any HP's...just thinking out loud after a long day of work.

but i will go with wannadiesel on this one, no more fuel = no more HP's for the amount of fuel you are moving...
Old 11-17-2005, 07:01 PM

Since I installed mine I lost about 100-150*F in the pyro EGT and gained about 1 to 1.5 MPG since the install.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Real world driving plays a big roll in how any aftermarket air intake performs compared to a static dyno run.

Hohn makes a very valid point...the power level negates the benefits of any kind of change to the air intake...especially on the rollers.

Scotty
Old 11-17-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I was thinking bout after you did it boatnik, is airflow.

When the air tube is on, it directs the air straight in to the turbo. when it is off, it is not being fed to the turbo in a straight line. You will not flow as much air.

you should have left the tube on, and disconnected it at the filter.

it's kinda hard to explain but what gives more pressure and flow....a water hose nozzle that is set for a solid stream, or one that gives a spray ??

many flow bench pulls have shown me that the air can not be expected to just go in the hole. you need something to direct it. I can flow a head and get xxx cfm for flow. if I put some clay, or a flow radius on the intake runner, the air doesn't have to make the 90 deg turn into the runner now, it is gradually turned. it will flow more air. Same thing with an exhaust port. it will flow more air with a short piece of pipe on it than it will with the exhaust port.

Like I said, it's hard to explain, but in your test, the air flow was not only going into the turbo from straight ahead, but from the sides (90 deg) also, and the air coming from the sides will cause more turbulence and therefore less flow into the turbo.

Maybe this is a better example:

What flows better, 2 lanes of traffic, or 4 lanes merging into 2 ? The 2 lanes will skip right along, but the 4 into 2 will have to slow a lot to allow the extra 2 lanes to merge in.

the same basic effect is what I am talking about.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by pgilles
you dyno'ed without any sort of air filter? risky.

maybe hot air from the radiator was blasting straight into the turbo and therefore if you had a BHAF in the corner/fender grabbing cooler air you may not have been robbed of any HP's...just thinking out loud after a long day of work.

but i will go with wannadiesel on this one, no more fuel = no more HP's for the amount of fuel you are moving...
Some times the risks do out wiegh the means but it was in doors and the hood was up to allow cooler air into the turbo. Didn,t think about egt,s as part of the analysis. Boating season is just about over and with cool weather I can wait to change my mind, which I do too often.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by TRCM
One thing I was thinking bout after you did it boatnik, is airflow.

When the air tube is on, it directs the air straight in to the turbo. when it is off, it is not being fed to the turbo in a straight line. You will not flow as much air.

you should have left the tube on, and disconnected it at the filter.

it's kinda hard to explain but what gives more pressure and flow....a water hose nozzle that is set for a solid stream, or one that gives a spray ??

many flow bench pulls have shown me that the air can not be expected to just go in the hole. you need something to direct it. I can flow a head and get xxx cfm for flow. if I put some clay, or a flow radius on the intake runner, the air doesn't have to make the 90 deg turn into the runner now, it is gradually turned. it will flow more air. Same thing with an exhaust port. it will flow more air with a short piece of pipe on it than it will with the exhaust port.

Like I said, it's hard to explain, but in your test, the air flow was not only going into the turbo from straight ahead, but from the sides (90 deg) also, and the air coming from the sides will cause more turbulence and therefore less flow into the turbo.

Maybe this is a better example:

What flows better, 2 lanes of traffic, or 4 lanes merging into 2 ? The 2 lanes will skip right along, but the 4 into 2 will have to slow a lot to allow the extra 2 lanes to merge in.

the same basic effect is what I am talking about.
With all the corrigation in the stock air hose bellows I don,t see it helping much. The boost gauge showed 25 pounds on both runs. I may sound a little argumentitve here but that is how I learn. I hope no one takes any offense to these replies. I do value your input, otherwise I wouldn,t respond. Thanks to all for this has given me food for thought. It looks like the BHAF is back in the planning stage, again. Along with a SMOOTH intake tube.
I have modified the inlet to the turbo slightly to reduced the turbulant air caused buy the sharp corner left at the factory opening. It is now smooth and radiused similar to a jet engine cowl. When I get a chance I will post a picture so you can see what I did.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:54 AM

With all the corrigation in the stock air hose bellows I don,t see it helping much.
You might want to look again inside your stock air tube. At least mine is smooth and got nice round bend to it... Yes I'm talking about the stock rubber air intake tube!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Negative on the smooth intake tube. 1st gens are not smooth inside, 2nd gens are.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:28 AM

Opps... I learned something new today...

Now will a 2nd Gen tube fit??? Dumb Idea...
Old 11-18-2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mopar1973man
Opps... I learned something new today...

Now will a 2nd Gen tube fit??? Dumb Idea...
I haven't given it much thought but I know where a few are and I will find out for certain. THe first gens air filter are mounted behind the head light and I believe the seconds are back by the hinge. If the tube will straighten it might fit. Of course with a little ingenuity and a couple 45 degree elbows???????
Old 11-18-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Boatnik
I haven't given it much thought but I know where a few are and I will find out for certain. THe first gens air filter are mounted behind the head light and I believe the seconds are back by the hinge. If the tube will straighten it might fit. Of course with a little ingenuity and a couple 45 degree elbows???????
dont forget a hammer and some swearing...
Old 11-18-2005, 01:26 PM

I gained 6hp from dropping the air filter on the dyno in back-to-back runs. Of course, this is at the higher HP level that Hohn mentioned.

brnadon.

Quick Reply: No to BHAF