Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Next Performance Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next Performance Mods?

Well, since I have an auto, all my money to this point has been about the transmission. Now that the tranny is taken care of, where would you recommend I go next? I know my truck has an HY35 turbo, which it seems like everyone says has to go. My next major mods are going to be a turbo, injectors, and to upgrade the box. My questions are:
1) Am I missing any inexpensive mods? I don't have a boost fooler or a wastegate J hook mostly due to ignorance on my part and not wanting to push the stock tranny. Would these be applicable to my truck?
2) Would the stock turbo hold up to the injectors and the box as the first mods or should I save and do them all at once?
3) What turbo have you had luck with as a good upgrade? I have been thinking about the BD Super B and the AST Aurora MST Turbo.

My hope is to get into the 300-350RWHP range without sacrificing too much reliability. Thanks for your input!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:48 PM

My opinion would be to just get some Mach 1.6's or even 2.0's and just a pdr-35. That would put you in HP range you want be with your EZ. If you want more later... just stack a TST and your good to go with plenty of adjustabilty.

Oh yeah... your EZ is a boost fooler.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by CaliRam2500
Well, since I have an auto, all my money to this point has been about the transmission. Now that the tranny is taken care of, where would you recommend I go next? I know my truck has an HY35 turbo, which it seems like everyone says has to go. My next major mods are going to be a turbo, injectors, and to upgrade the box. My questions are:
1) Am I missing any inexpensive mods? I don't have a boost fooler or a wastegate J hook mostly due to ignorance on my part and not wanting to push the stock tranny. Would these be applicable to my truck?
2) Would the stock turbo hold up to the injectors and the box as the first mods or should I save and do them all at once?
3) What turbo have you had luck with as a good upgrade? I have been thinking about the BD Super B and the AST Aurora MST Turbo.

My hope is to get into the 300-350RWHP range without sacrificing too much reliability. Thanks for your input!
Welcome to the DTR!
Get the Edge EZ and a set of RV275 injectors and do the wastegate J-hook and I think you'll be fine. I believe the Edge has a boost fooler built in. Some of the other guys will chime in that are running the same set up.

Tye
Old 01-11-2006, 12:46 AM

Sorry about the boost fooler comment. What I was really inquiring about is the boost elbow people talk about? Sorry, I haven't been at the diesel thing for too long.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I tow with this truck several times a month. 8500lbs over the Sierras through Truckee and the Grapevine. That was my main thinking on the bigger turbo. The big fear would be increased turbo lag. That is probably the best thing about the small HY35, how fast it spools up.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:14 AM

With the proper mods your truck will run great, be reliable and have minimal turbo lag.... Since you tow and your HP requirements are very reasonable getting this reliably is no problem. Here is my recipe:

Mach 1.6 injectors
Edge EZ or similiar
Super Phat Shaft 62 or HTB2 (this will controll your egt's while towing).

This setup would be awsome..... If you want a little more HP by going with either of these turbos you could step up to a Mach 2.5 and gain around another 50 HP.

Doug Smith
Old 01-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Banned

CaliRam2500,

Best upgrade for the money is a Edge Comp and 275RV's, we sell this alot and it works great. Considering you already have an AFE intake along with exhaust to get it to breath well too! If you want more Edge have nozzles from Stage I to Stage IV as well, but hte 275RV's are very nice unless you want to replace the turbo etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 01-11-2006, 10:47 AM

What about a FASS? At what point should I be concerned about fuel pressure? Also, how important is a fuel pressure gauge at this level? I understand fuel pressure is critical in making everything run right, but am I "pushing it" yet?

Thanks to all that have taken time to reply!
Old 01-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CaliRam2500
What about a FASS? At what point should I be concerned about fuel pressure? Also, how important is a fuel pressure gauge at this level? I understand fuel pressure is critical in making everything run right, but am I "pushing it" yet?

Thanks to all that have taken time to reply!

If I were you that would be one of my first mods is upgrading your fuel system. Once you start adding some performance, your fuel pressure will drop pretty easily and you don't want that. I would for sure get a fuel pressure gauge before anything else, that way if it drops you can let out of it especially when towing.

OH, and even with a stock truck you can have bad fuel pressure. These stock lift pumps suck and without a gauge it's hard to tell how well it is actually working. So right now you could be fine..........but then again you may not, just depends on how well your lift pump is working.

~Nick
Old 01-11-2006, 11:31 AM

Now, and very important since the Vp and lift pump are the weak points in these trucks. I would recommend the FASS II, but your going to get a lot of mixed opinions about updating the fuel system. Do a search and you have days of reading.

Tye