Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Newbie. What mods can I safely make on a "working" truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie. What mods can I safely make on a "working" truck?

Truck is in my sig, has 180,000 on it. P/O had some serious Mods on it, but removed all the electronics. Currently, I have at least a 4" strait pipe, can't measure due to a Huge exhaust tip. Also, the wastegate has been removed.
Computer program is factory, but is showing a code for too much boost, w/ a max reading of 28 psi.
I'm getting a new VP-44 next week.
Even with the stock program, It's putting down alot of power.
I'd like a programmer, and an exhaust brake.
This truck is my paycheck, so I don't want to burn it up.
Recomendations?
I Know I need a boost fooler to start with.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:11 AM
Banned

make sure you address the fuel system to keep good clean fuel going to your new VP44. and if you don't already have the fuel pressure gauge in there then get it in ASAP, it can save you $1,000's

if you say it already has good power, then i would suggest a small box like the edge EZ or Smarty for some good low end towing power but not adding too much fuel in the higher RPMs where high EGTs and the possible motor damage can occur. especially with you pulling up to 45k GCVW.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camarogenius
Even with the stock program, It's putting down alot of power.
I'd like a programmer, and an exhaust brake.
This truck is my paycheck, so I don't want to burn it up.
Welcome to the DTR!
Sounds like it may have some after market injectors in it, based on power and 28 psi boost. As mentioned, I would add an EZ or even better, a Smarty. That will give you a boost fooler (allowing higher boost without defueling and codes) and will add nice low end towing power.

About 300 hp should give you nice towing, reasonably controlable EGT's and no added wear & tear to the Cummins engine.

RJ
Old 02-22-2007, 08:31 AM

get gauges boost egt and FP first. That will give you an idea of what to get next. I would recommend 35/40 turbo or 62/12. AFE intake. Take a look at the back drivers side of the motor. If there is no lifting bracket someone likely had to get to that back injector...Most never put that back on after an injector install......If your putting 28 psi boost on a stock set up 1) its not stock 2) your EGT's are probably way high if intake and trubo are stock...
Old 02-22-2007, 10:13 AM

I have guages, byt the pyro doesn't work. I'll have that fixed when the Injector pump is changed
I believe the turbo is stock. The lift pump is not. The lift pump stays between 15-20 PSI.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Camarogenius
I have guages, byt the pyro doesn't work. I'll have that fixed when the Injector pump is changed
I believe the turbo is stock. The lift pump is not. The lift pump stays between 15-20 PSI.
figure out your pyro...Next clutch even a small box will put you into clutch slipping range if you have injectors installed...If you EGT's are fine and your happy with power leave things alone...egts too high add 35/40 turbo and afe intake assuming your exhaust is already 4"...want a bit more power mach 1.6's and 62/12 will give you a nice safe tow rig...