Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

newbie nozzle question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie nozzle question

I've been seeing lots of happy CTD owners saying I should get some really expensive injectors, but I wonder if I really need to go so far.

I run a '02 24V mostly stock (about to add BHAF). I pull a brush chipper (less than 3000 lbs) and carry a load of chips most of the time (maybe 2 yds, crazy high est. 5000 lbs) and I'm not that concerned about smoking other trucks at stop lights. I would like to see some better mileage, though.

I saw this site with some RV 275 nozzles for a couple hundred. It claims I'd see increased power and mileage with decreased EGT. Would this be worthwhile for me? Would I need to do anything besides just pulling one set of nozzles and sticking in the other?

Again, I'm not looking to drag race or pull a house--just regular medium-duty working truck for my tree business.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Keith

note: I have no connection to the site linked above. It was recommended by people at Fred's TDI club in relation to my wife's TDI beetle.

Last edited by treedweller; 06-21-2006 at 05:27 PM. Reason: add note of no affiliation to site
Old 06-21-2006, 08:21 PM

RV275's are always a popular upgrade for a small power increase. If you check the classifieds on this website you will see a complete RV275 set for $200. Much better than just getting the nozzles for the same price. Eric
Old 06-21-2006, 09:41 PM

Consider a VanAaken

That is what I used to run and improved mileage 1.5-2 MPG.

My injectors did not help my mileage, if not hurt it a tad.

Also exhuast will help as well.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:15 PM
CJ

I started w/ a VA5 for a couple of months. Then put in the Jammer III's. Major difference. Although the clutch is not happy. If just looking for a mild upgrade then a VA or an EZ would work good. I have heard a lot of good about the Smarty but they are more expensive.
CJ
Old 06-23-2006, 01:04 PM

Thx for the input so far.

I'm really working over here to digest all the info this site has to offer.

I'll keep reading and post more questions later (probably).

Keith
Old 06-24-2006, 01:25 AM
CJ

Originally Posted by treedweller
Thx for the input so far.

I'm really working over here to digest all the info this site has to offer.

Keith
No problem. And good luck digesting all of the info on this site I was a member before I bought my truck and am constantly amazed about how much I have to learn
CJ
Old 06-24-2006, 01:35 AM

I think you would be better off spending money on a programmer or box.Injectors are basically the next step after that anyways.The smarty can be used for anything,it would accel at towing i would think,it also has a fuel saver option.It isnt cheap but probably the best all around box.It gives unimaginable throtle response and drivability compared to stock,no one complains about the smarty
Old 06-26-2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by treedweller

I saw this site with some RV 275 nozzles for a couple hundred.

It claims I'd see increased power and mileage with decreased EGT. Would this be worthwhile for me?
If you want a no-brainer upgrade that will work with your stock clutch and improve every aspect of how your motor runs, then, yes.

Would I need to do anything besides just pulling one set of nozzles and sticking in the other?
Basically, that's it. But pop testing is recommended to verify uniform opening pressures. We are finding that the injectors all pop the same after installing the Bosio nozzles, because the tolerances are so tight right out of the box. Some will vehemently disagree with me on this point based on their experiences with Chinese made nozzles. All I can say in response is TRY IT AND SEE for yourself.

It was recommended by people at Fred's TDI club in relation to my wife's TDI beetle.