Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Newbee has questions, needs help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbee has questions, needs help

Hello All
I just bought a 2001 2500SLT and I want to do some modifacations
First I want to change the exhaust, is 4" with no muffler the way to go or is
5" with a muffler better?
I also want to add a programmer, I am leaning towards an edge juice w/attitude
Is this my best choice or are there better ones out there?
My primary purpose for this truck will be a daily driver 60% of the time and pulling a 7000# trailer the other 40% of the time.
Thanks
Eric
P.S. Do I need to do a lift pump upgrade with this?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:18 PM

My opinion...

4" exhaust, (no muffler is what I have)

I love the SMARTY, check it out. Do a search here, you will learn about it.

GET A FUEL PRESSURE GUAGE so you know the condition of your lift pump before it's to late...and expensive.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:19 PM

Don't know much a bout the programmers since I am a 12v guy, but 5" exhaust is overkill unless you are planning to go to twins in the future.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:25 PM

4" with or without muffler

Juice w/Attitude monitor will give you more power than the Smarty with your setup, and it has the gauges you'll need!

And maybe relocate your stock LP to the frame rail next to the tank for better pressure.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:38 PM

Smile

I read a lot of folks saying the Juice is great. Also a lot of folks swear by the Smarty. I am cheap and didn't want to spend a lot of $$ so I bought a used Edge Comp...best bang for the buck.

Like the others said 4 in is plenty, but you might consider a Cooleeze elbow if you keep the stock exhaust, or a cooleeze down pipe to plumb to your 4 inch exhaust....again I am cheap so I just bought the elbow.

Do something about the intake restriction and get some gauges so you can see what is happening....BUT 1st fix that poorly designed dodge fuel supply
Old 12-28-2006, 02:06 AM
Banned

First thing I would do is fix the fuel like TNfarmboy said. Go with a Vulcan big line and drop a Holley Blue back by the tank. Should get the pressure way up there. Edge makes a good product, I've had my comp over two years with no problems. It does have the guages you're going to need. Guages should be among the first mods. Then go with a BHAF , then a dodgezilla or similar turbo with the HX-40 style downpipe. If you want to go cheap, buy the turbo with the dp then go down to your local big rig shop and buy 2-3' of 4" flex pipe along with a reducer to tie into your existing 3". Then chop the muffler off. Do all this and you got one practical set-up that won't break the bank, will sound good, and keep those egt's in check. IMHO of course.

Just keep reading on this great site and you'll find all the answers.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:05 AM

Smarty, guages, vulcan fuel kit, new lp and a peice of straight pipe

Smarty is great for improved responsiveness and really helps get you moving, while the edge boxes will make more power up top.

There's a chance your lift pump is already failing, so check that out asap. Go to the dealer and pull the service records to check if (maybe how many times) the lift pump or injector pump have been replaced.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by schaef_12
..... but 5" exhaust is overkill unless you are planning to go to twins in the future.
IMHO, 5" is overkill at any HP level. It's strictly for more/different sound on a CTD.

My TIP (drive pressures) are well within limits with 4".

RJ
Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the help. I have decided to go with 4" straight pipe on the exhaust and the edge juice w/attitude. I have more questions now.
What is the best lift pump set up and where is the best place to get one??
What do you recommend to update the intake restrictions and where to buy??
Thanks again
Eric
Old 12-29-2006, 09:08 PM

You don't say whether you're auto or stick, but either one isn't going to be happy without a lot of self control with the juice.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Badme Welcome to the DTR!!!
Now go fill in your signature and location so we know what ya got and where you are.
If you are in Baltimore were gonna be doin some wrenchin Sat night and you are welcome to come on over.
the Edge w/ Attitude is a nice unit and is probably your best bang for your buck. it has all the guages you need and will give you some great power.
And later you can stack it with the Smarty.
Now for the fuel the Vulcan big line kit with the LP relocation kit are good and you can get a Campaign pump (LP) from you local Cummins shop for about $70.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:59 PM

Again, hate to be this way but it depends on what you want to do with your truck. Pusher like scottsjeeperolet said is not a bad option for the $$ if all you are doing is suplementing the stock system. F.A.S.S is what most of the 'big boys' use. I am in the middle with a Walbro from Glacier Diesel.
For the intake there are lots of options, like keeping the stock box and replacing the filter with a K&N or AFE, or trashing the stock box and using a BHAF or Scotty. Do a search for some ideas. Doesn't matter what someone else suggest, do what you think is best.... that is what it all about!
Old 12-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
badme:

Welcome to the website!

All of the members are giving you good advice! I would add that I had a 2002Dodge CTD 24 valve which I sold this past summer to buy a new 2006 Dodge CTD CR.

I used a Holley Red Pump on my 2002 in conjunction with my stock lift pump.
You can buy the Holley Red Pumps at any "Advance Auto Store" and they come with a full one year replacement warranty. I ran the Holley Red for over two years with no problems. They run around $100.00. Also, as "TNfarmboy" said the Walbro 392 from "Glacier Diesel" is a good fuel pump too and Richard Martin is a great guy to deal with.

Good luck with your new truck and again,.....Welcome aboard!

-------
John_P
Old 01-02-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 24V-DSL
You don't say whether you're auto or stick, but either one isn't going to be happy without a lot of self control with the juice.

It is an Automatic, but I do Transmissions for a living and went into this knowing that I would more than likely have to build a transmission that will take the abuse.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
Badme Welcome to the DTR!!!
Now go fill in your signature and location so we know what ya got and where you are.
If you are in Baltimore were gonna be doin some wrenchin Sat night and you are welcome to come on over.
the Edge w/ Attitude is a nice unit and is probably your best bang for your buck. it has all the guages you need and will give you some great power.
And later you can stack it with the Smarty.
Now for the fuel the Vulcan big line kit with the LP relocation kit are good and you can get a Campaign pump (LP) from you local Cummins shop for about $70.
Thanks for the invite, I am from New Hampshire so it would be a bit of a drive.
I am in Arizona on vacation right now so that would really be a haul.
Thanks Again
Eric

Quick Reply: Newbee has questions, needs help