Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Newb questions first CTD

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb questions first CTD

First off, great site! I have spent the last 3 days trolling around discovering that you are all a bunch of smoke-heads that like your trucks as more than friends But it is now time for my first couple questions.
I just bought an 02 1-ton auto SO(I hope that is the code for standard output)with low miles on it and I am planning on spending about 10k on modifications for both reliability and performance. We tow a 33' Weekend Warrior 5th wheel that weighs about 12k lbs when it is full of quads, beer and other essentials. We tow from here in Olympia, WA to Coos Bay in Or so there are a couple passes involved and herein lies the first questions. I have spent some time on the phone with the good folks at DTT and plan on driving up there in a couple weeks for the following: complete trans, TC, controller for the TC(need that downshift help when hauling the 5er down from highway speeds) exhaust brake, billet shafts and some engine mods but I am not sure on which ones. I am a hotrodder by design and I do love a good burnout and stoplight to stoplight fun so I know I want some extra HP but outside of the exhaust and the AFE intake setup I cant decide on which "chip" and possibly injectors oh and of course gauges. I want it to be "Cummins reliable" when towing so the box will be off or at its lowest setting but I would like to gain reliable HP numbers for driving around town and smoking imports, literally. Any thoughts? and sorry for the wordy first post
Isaac
Old 07-04-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Once you get the full-boogie DTT tranny, life will be good for you.

Since it's an SO engine, go with an adjustable wire-tap box, preferably one with no added timing (because you tow) like a TST or Blue Chip box.

New injectors-- try some small ones like Don's 1.6s

turbo-- Go to a larger housing like a 14 wastegated or an 18.5 non-wastegated.

Finally-- WELCOME TO DTR!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well... if you want my opinion.

Get your full blown DTT (or tranny of choice)

Full pillar of gauges. (EGT, Boost, Tranny Temp, FUEL PRESSURE)

Put a non-timing fueling box on it then throw a catcher ECM on top of that.

Dodgezilla or PDR35 with a 14cm wastegated housing

Set of 1.5 or so DonM injectors.

You will then have a pulling machine that will get up and boogie.... and make the rear of that truck get a little light on occasion.

Be forwarned though. You will not stop there. The power you will see will kick you into a downward spiral that no other hotrod experience can come close to.

again this is JMHO
Mark

BTW Welcome to the darkside!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 11:45 PM

can I tow with the just the injectors and then when I unhook run like a edge drag comp?
Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by edgerat
can I tow with the just the injectors and then when I unhook run like a edge drag comp?
this is a good combo as a buddy of mine has an 02 6speed with 410's and 33in tires that runns some DD3 injectors, Drag comp, and PDR hx 40 and puts out about 460hp at the wheels and tows oftin with a camper and a hourse trailer or the drag truck so its preaty heavy and when he is towin the box is on 2 or 3

oh and welcome

Robert