Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Twins

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Twins

The New Street Twins are out and driving now! Those of you that know me know that I have been working and planning on this for a while, well now it's running and the testing begins.

First let me thanks those that help me because without them I would still be driving a stock truck.

Piers for the Pump, Head, Injectors, Turbo's and allot of knowledge.

Jason Burton(NW Customs) for the piping, parts, design and chit chat.

Ken Dias(sp) that owns Turbo Auto Diesel for the Big Brother turbo.

The Late Nowell Thomas for trying to make this happen for me only one week prior to his death( God bless you )

Matt Snow(snowperformance.com) for the Water Injection.

Chuck Seitsinger that owns Alternative Motor Sports in OKC for the dyno time.

James Northum and DTT for putting the power to the ground!

I finished up tonight putting it all together, so a leak check then out for a drive! Throttle response is unbelievable going from a stock 35 to PDR 40, the setup is not laggy at all. The 40 starts playing the game quickly (Builds boost starting at 700 degrees of EGT) then the B/B is on it's back! Boost is quick, really quick, as fast or faster than my last combo. In Valet mode I hit 65 PSI, I really like this setup, it seems no different than my last on the highway but way more air and allot less air temp. Ken and I talked the other day about the differences between the HT3B and the B/B and there in different worlds, I have some data numbers already but I will re-verify it prior to posting as there way too low air temps. I'll tell you that I need to tune(re-adjust) as 80 psi was like an instant from 15. I'll drop the wastegate setting and install a third pop off valve to control the boost. You'll have a part of this too, remember you pay my wages....USN!

Boost is now at 75 and the break in is happening, what a cool set of Turbo's, in Valet it starts building boost at 700 degrees of EGT, 10 psi it's all game for an instant spool, the wastegate is set as low as it will go so now the boost is controlled by pop offs, should be able to dyno this week as long as work permit's

Jim
Old 02-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool. I gather the lower turbo discharges into the top turbo?
How much turbo whine do you have with that extra fan up there?
Nice work on the polishing too.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:45 AM

How big of a wastegate are you running on twins and is what type?You're twin look real nice!
Old 02-01-2004, 12:26 PM

The setup is a direct replica of the PDR Twins, same design, same internal wastegate.

Jim
Old 02-01-2004, 01:17 PM

Nice setup Jim, I'm jealous!!!!

Doug
Old 02-01-2004, 01:55 PM

Looks like my big honking twins made someone a little jelous . Jim you didn't have to take it so far as to polish those beautys.

Doesn't surprise me at all your spoolup is just as quick... you should have a good bit more top end now than you had. That thing is going to lay down some monster numbers soon.

Horace
Old 02-01-2004, 03:37 PM

One can hope for big numbers but this intercooler is done, Custom one is in the works..........need cash fast

Jim

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2004, 04:29 PM

Congradulations on the new twin's and thier boy's at that!! Can't wait to get back from Arizona and come take a personal look at them. Remember I am a guinea pig as I rode with the last ones before you took them off so I will be able to tell the big difference!! See ya and Goodluck they do look nice, Rick
Old 02-02-2004, 07:27 AM

Are you wastegating both turbos to keep them in the sweet spot or just the top one to control boost? Is there anyway to watch the boost curve of the top little turbo to see what it is doing as to coming up on boost and when the big one takes over? You don't know how much help this is for us guys building our own twins from scratch. I guess controlling boost is the hardest part when both turbos are honkin. It's amazing a little 360 inch diesel burner with a fairly poor port design can make 2 hp. per cu.in.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:27 AM

Just the top turbo is wastegated, most if not all Big turbo's are not gated, no way to watch the curve except a dyno sheet to know what the 40 is doing but it's not allot, if info is correct the 40 should be gated at about 15-16 psi then it is by-passed, to tell you the truth all I did the other day was adjust it as far as I could without it being open under no boost.....this will kill the bottom end as air is always blowing by the little charger, there is no time from the 40 lighting off till the B/B takes over it is lenier. The big issue with the boost is I have two good size chargers and allot of fuel for street injectors, so when you get to this point is when you have to have pop offs to control boost......nothing new here, every gasser turbo car I've been around (real cars) has a gate before the turbo in the header that vents off to the outside or down pipe, if were trying to keep boost down more than I do I would have to do the same, like Piers's ATS manifold with the Extreme gate on it.

Jim
Old 02-02-2004, 09:32 AM

Just the top turbo is wastegated, most if not all Big turbo's are not gated, no way to watch the curve except a dyno sheet to know what the 40 is doing but it's not allot, if info is correct the 40 should be gated at about 15-16 psi then it is by-passed, to tell you the truth all I did the other day was adjust it as far as I could without it being open under no boost.....this will kill the bottom end as air is always blowing by the little charger, there is no time from the 40 lighting off till the B/B takes over it is lenier. The big issue with the boost is I have two good size chargers and allot of fuel for street injectors, so when you get to this point is when you have to have pop offs to control boost......nothing new here, every gasser turbo car I've been around (real cars) has a gate before the turbo in the header that vents off to the outside or down pipe, if were trying to keep boost down more than I do I would have to do the same, like Piers's ATS manifold with the Extreme gate on it.

Jim
Old 02-02-2004, 03:15 PM

Jim, I also have an enlarged internal wastegate on mine also. The reason I think I have not had trouble controlling boost is because of the turbo master. I think the turbo master works great using backpressure to controll when the gate opens... I also think that the turbomaster allows the gate to open farther than the boost wastegates do. You might want to try one. Adjusting is just in the turn of a nut.

Horace
Old 02-02-2004, 09:09 PM

Piers told me about those incase I wanted to try it, but the way this one is setup it's just to driveable to change, thanks though!

Jim