Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Turbos - So many Choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Turbos - So many Choices

Does anyone have any real world experience with the:
Cool Twist Turbo, Banks Variable Geometry Turbo, or the new Diesel Jammer Ball Bearing Turbo? and how do they compare with the B1?

I am looking at one, ok maybe two upgrades. I would like a little more horse power and cooler EGTs when towing. Which of the above would work best with - F1 EDM 2s, a TST PM3 stacked with an EZ or a MAD ECM.

Thanks,

George
Old 04-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Muted User

George, cant help you with the turbos because I just run the 35.

But I can tell you that when you stack an EZ with the TST it really lowers EGTs at full tilt quite nicely. In my case with stage 4 EDMs and a PM3 Competition version, it lowered the max EGT I see by about 150°F. This is quite nice and I attributed this to the additional timing of the EZ. BUT (there always has to be a down side, eh) for me it causes a bucking/surging when I use from about 3/8 to 3/4 go-pedal on the highway. While cruising its fine. Lay into it a tad to pass someone, still fine. Go for anywhere near mid-pedal and its horrible. Smash it to the floor and its perfect.... Very very strange indeed. It must have to do with the additional timing naturally created by the larger injectors ADDED with the timing curve in the EZ. This has gotten so annoying to me, I have removed the EZ from the truck and only run the PM3 comp and now have to watch my EGT's much more closely when playing. In your case with Stage 2 EDMs, it might not be a problem. When I posted a while back asking about this problem, most of the people who indicated they had this problem also had stage 3's or larger.

Kevin
Old 04-03-2005, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Mad ECM with your PM3 and Mach 2's will work very well! Better tha the EZ/Pm3. I believe Don M. is building a specialized Mach 2 just for towing.

The turbos you mention are, IMO, unproven. B-1's have been matched and passed by HTT...doing basically the same thing but more professionally with much better customer service. That's where I would look for more air.
http://www.htturbo.com/
RJ
Old 04-04-2005, 12:23 AM

I would sugest J.R Adkins switzer that he does som Mods to so that they spool just as fast as a stock turbo but can handel up to 500HP but he says he likes to see them in the 450HP range. Great little turbo for pulling trailers. the best is the price is less that the other turbos listed.
give him a call and ask about his switzer.
317 281 3130
DM01
Old 04-04-2005, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by gdh11
I have decided on new EDMs from F1 but still have not decided on a new turbo upgrade. I get very little information from most vendors when I ask questions. Banks has a new one out good to 500 HP, Diesel Dynamics is supposed to have a Ball Bearing out the is supposed to be good to 600 HP. I have seen no numbers or feedback on either of these and at the price of a B1 I want to be careful. I am tempted to just get the new injectors and wait on the turbo(s) until later because of the lack of information. I doubt I could return a turbo if it is not what I want so I need to be careful with my choice.
Call J.R he will tell you everything you want to know about his turbos and even what turbos are close to what your wanting. But I bet his price will also be lower.
never hurts to call
DM01