Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tranny

Alright boys, It looks like time for atleast a new TC, maybe a whole new tranny. So who's the best? I live in CO and ATS is close, but I haven't heard a lot about them on here. Any other names, experiences or thoughts....thanks guys!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:21 PM

I just put in the ATS Triple Disk / Valve Body / and Contoller. I'm REAL HAPPY! Shifts like a dream. Doesn't snap my neck or the Horses. Just real firm.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New Tranny

Originally posted by CODODGE2500MAN
Alright boys, It looks like time for atleast a new TC, maybe a whole new tranny. So who's the best? I live in CO and ATS is close, but I haven't heard a lot about them on here. Any other names, experiences or thoughts....thanks guys!
Be sure you get the billet input shaft with your new tranny. I recently paid the price.

John (DH)
Old 01-18-2005, 01:43 PM

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the main players: ATS, DTT, Suncoast or Goerend. It's a matter of who you feel most comfortable with, and who will give you the best price for the setup you want.
Good luck
Mishkaya
Old 01-18-2005, 02:56 PM

you might want to call piers and ask him about a tranny set up . they are doing a suncoast tranny setup for a decent price . the prices arnt on his website yet.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:42 PM

Why is everyone getting these $5000+ trannies? Why not have your local race tranny shop build yours for you. They would love t tackle the job, ad I am sure theyw ould do a great job witha warranty.

Dima
Old 01-18-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Flatty
Why is everyone getting these $5000+ trannies? Why not have your local race tranny shop build yours for you. They would love t tackle the job, ad I am sure theyw ould do a great job witha warranty.

Dima
You are kidding right? Very few shops know how to build a tranny for the CTD. After talking with Dave Georand and my local "racing trans" shop I'm convinced of it even more. I would not let the locals change my oil, let alone build a tranny for +400 HP. I know you don't know the guys I'm talking about, but when this guy dropped my pan for a fuild change and band adjustment he called me and was terrified that my tranny would not last 1,000 miles. It was on its last legs, and he could not change the fuild cause there was too much metal in the fuild, yada yada yada. I took the truck to Jiffy lube, had them do a tranny flush, that was 45,000 miles ago, and the tranny is running as strong as every, and I'm going in for another flush this week.

Dima, you say, "they would love to tackle the job". What you mean is they would love to learn off my $$$. NO WAY! I want an EXPERT. Someone who specializes in MY transmission, and not someone on a learning curve.

And NO ONE will give you the warranty the big four will. They would laugh you right out of their shop.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:06 PM

I have An ATS with the billet input shaft, I didn't get the TripleLok Commander though, kinda wish I did but I can always add it later. I can sure feel the defferance in the way it shifts. I love it
Old 01-18-2005, 06:41 PM

I'm sure i'm gonna get flamed here but....
Any local race tranny shop I dealt with DOSENT have lossers that dont know what their doing working on performance stuff. I'm not talking about your run of the mill puke em out Mr Trans type places either. Any good shop with knowledge of performance will be able to build a good trans with as good of warrenty. For me it was easy as it was the local shop that has been building my gasser stuff for 25 years and zero failures(3200lb car/ 650+big bottleHP)These guys have many 7-800+hp autos running down our local track and theres no way you can have idiots building them either. Just my $.02
Old 01-18-2005, 06:55 PM

I have to agree with you Ratsun. If you have a good tranny shop, and I mean good, you will get just as good of a job. As you can see in my signature I bought a few of the good stuff to put in the tranny. My guy had some experience with ATS and was impressed with their product. He took everything I brought and then did a couple of other tricks that he has learned over the past 30 plus years.
This tranny is great! And I know if I do have a problem, he is only 20 miles away.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Muted User

Word of advice from people who I have spoken to, both companies and customers... all agree... That when dealing with a aftermarket tranny... wether it be ATS, Piers, DTT, or SunCoast..... no tranny is perfect but they're all great. Get the one that's closest to you.. for tech support and the ability to do adjustments and work for you. It's just not practical to buy a tranny from someone so far away unless they have a certified warranty/service center near you. I too am in the market for a high tranny.. everyone I talked to directed me right back to a company in FL that's fairly close to here simpley because it's better to be near someone. Just my 2cents.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:48 PM

Well, let me say this.....what it boils down to is who stands behind their work.

I know first hand that Dave Goerend does..... had to cost him $$, but it only cost me a fluid change.

When I blew an input shaft, Dave OVERNIGHTED an input shaft, front pump, TC and even an intermediate shaft-just in case. He also sent his personal Snap-On slide hammers and snap ring pliers to do the rebuild.

He spent 4 hours on his cell phone (from his nephews wedding reception) walking me through re-doing the front section of the trans.

Customer service is everything, and Dave Goerend deserves a
Old 01-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Chapter President

So who has the contacts? Phones, Emails and websites? Thanks again
Old 01-19-2005, 11:04 AM

Here's one...
http://www.dieseltrans.com/

Here's two more...
http://www.gbtransmissions.com/
http://www.piersdiesel.com/Products.htm

Do your homework...talk to them all...do searches! I spent 3 months, off & on, researching trannys before I knew enough to ask good questions and understand the answers. Probably easier now...all rebuilders seem to be doing a good job, but there are differences. Love my DTT!

RJ
Old 01-19-2005, 11:15 AM

http://www.atsdiesel.com/

http://www.dieseltrans.com/

http://www.gbtransmissions.com/

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/

Matt

Quick Reply: New Tranny