Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Stealthy exhaust--WOW quiet

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Stealthy exhaust--WOW quiet

Installed a new MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust with muffler and resonator this weekend. Install went well; I cut off the hangars on the old pipe to make getting it off easier. The hangars are definitely the challenging thing on this exhaust install. Using long bolts to get the downpipe attached was the trick for me, then I just snugged them up and changed out to the new bolts.

I want a really QUIET exhaust...I want to be able to talk on my cell phone (bluetooth) in the cab--whoopee. I also tow horses so I wanted a very quiet sound out of the tailpipe. So, I installed a 30" resonator (5" diameter)
The resonator is wide open, but there's a spiral design...does something to decrease the sound. I installed it as close to underneath the cab as possible, right after the downpipe.
Anyways, the sound is exactly what i wanted.
No increase in EGTs, no drone...my truck sounds HAPPY!
This is the opposite of what most people want,
but if you want stealthy this is IT!

Got it here: He also makes 'em for the 5" exhaust systems

https://store.ftediesel.com/home/vie...1&idcategory=0
Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 AM

Good to hear. Next spring I plan on a new exhaust install and I want it quiet!

Was yours what they call the resonator or the resonator/muffler unit?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 AM

I'm like you. The MBRP wasn't terribly loud in the cab, but I knew I wouldn't want to tow with it. I replaced the MBRP muffler with a 41" Donaldson. It's a little louder than stock outside (sounds better though) and on the inside it is quieter than stock. Maybe it's just me but I believe I'm getting less engine noise as well.

Over a couple of tanks of fuel, I'm seeing a 1.5-2 mpg increase as well. Gotta like that!

Last edited by kreynolds; 11-02-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: add mpg info.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by toms73novass
Good to hear. Next spring I plan on a new exhaust install and I want it quiet!

Was yours what they call the resonator or the resonator/muffler unit?
I ordered a RESONATOR from FTE Diesel
I added it into my MBRP turboback exhaust w/muffler--so I have the resonator + the muffler
I added the resonator where a catalytic converter would be if you had one of those...
MBRP makes a resonator too, and its priced comparative to the FTE Diesel unit;
but I read such good things about the FTE Diesel unit I wanted to try it
and especially since they offered a longer model--the 30"
FTE Diesel was very helpful on the phone, and shipped quickly.
re: MBRP resonator...I didn't find anything when I went looking, so I didn't hear good or bad...
Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quiet is Good,,,, for sneaking up on critters to hunt too.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GSP7
Quiet is Good,,,, for sneaking up on critters to hunt too.
With that loud diesel knock under the hood???? Doubt it!!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 PM

i also wanted a quieter exhaust after driving with my 4" MBRP for a couple years. i simply removed the MBRP muffler, and replaced it with a 48" donaldson (had to cut some pipe off to make it fit). i went with the 5" version as well, so i needed reducers.

i am completely happy with the result now. the muffler is still straight through (could drop a ball right thru it) but the exhaust noise is as quiet as stock, if not quieter! i was able to keep the performance/cooling of a straight pipe, yet still be nice and quiet. gotta' love that! oh yeah, it does fit on a shortbed, but it's tight . . .
Old 11-04-2010, 02:24 AM

the donaldson sounds like a nice set up. My resonator is open too...but I still have a muffler. As it is, its way quieter than my stock exhaust was.
To get the same thing without a muffler would be pretty sweet...
Old 05-03-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
An FTE 30" resonator made the difference in enjoying my new exhaust. This was one of the threads that helped me decide to get an FTE resonator, and I'm very happy with it, so far (only installed it just this afternoon).

I bought our '05 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins with 98k miles on it from a good friend. The tailpipe was rotting, so I decided I only wanted to do the exhaust once and I ordered an MBRP 4" turbo-back exhaust with their muffler. My goals were three-fold - better flow-through to hopefully improve fuel economy, no DOC to clog in the future, and stainless steel so I wouldn't have to replace it down the road.

The installation went straightforward. But, once the MBRP was in it was too loud for my, and my wife's, tastes. We camp in a state park a few times a year, and we really didn't want to be an annoyance when idling through the campground, either.

So I did some online research and decided to try the FTE resonator to see if that would quiet things down. Since I was going for maximum noise reduction, I decided to order the 30" version (instead of the shorter 17" version), and in stainless, as well.

It was installed this afternoon, and the difference was immediately noticed and appreciated by my wife. I would say the exhaust, besides being quieter, has a much lower-frequency primary tone, too. As others have remarked, now I only really hear the exhaust at the tailpipe, and the noise from the motor in the engine compartment is the more noticeable feature (can't get away from that one and still have a diesel, though ).

So, here's what's installed now to get this result. MBRP turbo-back 4" exhaust, including: MBRP downpipe, FTE 30" resonator, shortened MBRP short intermediate pipe, MBRP muffler, MBRP tailpipe, and MBRP polished tailpipe tip. The long intermediate pipe from MBRP was removed and is not needed with this setup, now.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
That is interesting, I am going to consider trying this as my truck is noisy and gets the drone at speed and when towing.

As for engine noise, I have wanted to dynamat my interior and under the hood...since my dash is all cracked and my power seat started acting up it may be time to pull the seats out and the carpet and get the dynamat down to quiet it up...

Welcome to the site Khnitz!
Old 05-03-2015, 10:33 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dguru
With that loud diesel knock under the hood???? Doubt it!!!!
Yep. Most of the 24v racket comes from under the hood.
I've heard of owners lining their cabs w/Dynamat which seems to help also.
My neighbor's got a completely stock 2wd 24v and it's still loud.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I used the LMC sound deadening stuff and although it seemed to quiet things a wee tad it's pretty hard to keep those 24 valves subdued. I am seriously contemplating trying out the 48" Donaldson instead of the MBRP "muffler".

Cheers!

Mike
Old 05-06-2015, 02:03 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Today I installed a 4" Flowmaster system with a 30" FTE resonator and the Flowmaster muffler on a 97 12V QC LB - the exhaust is much quieter than stock.

The turbo spools a lot quicker and EGTs are down a bit.
The exhaust is that quiet that when you let the truck idle and walk from back to front it gets louder the closer you get to the engine with the hood closed- and that on a fully warmed up 12V with stock timing..

I really like it

Cheers

Markus