Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

new sound system

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new sound system

Ok here's the deal, I'm putting together a sound system for my truck and am looking for suggestions as to what equipment to purchase. Here's what I'm thinking... I don't want sound the will wake up the neighborhood when I want loud music, just some real good clear sound. And I'm not looking to break the bank either. For my application I'm thinking an Alpine 9833 4x 26 watts rms to push the component speakers with a 1 10" sub mounted in/under the center section of the seat and the amp under the passenger seat. Any input? Thanks Phil
Old 03-19-2005, 08:34 PM

I just installed a pioneer stereo, 40x4. It sounds great. I think the 26 watts is a little light. 6x9's are in the door, so a good 3 way will give you great sound up front. Will the sub ave it's own amp? I hope so. I have yet to get the sub for mine, but I'll be interested to hear what sub you go with. Kevin
Old 03-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Taz

I've got an Infinity Kappa Perfect behind the center console in a .6 cubic foot sealed box. It doesn't let anyone sit in the middle, but I really like to see out of the mirror anyway. I have a Kenwood deck pushing an MTX 500D to the sub, and Infinity 6x9's in the front door and 6 1/2' in the rear. I think it sounds really good, not too loud but loud enough.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:17 PM

Sixpack have a look at the CDT Audio CL61A 6.5 components for front stage. I have had a set for over a year now and still am impressed when I hear them. The Zeb.com has them on sale. they do like the watts thow, best components Ive heard for the money.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a few pics in my profile you can look at. Sound is a individual preferance and no two ears like the same but IMHO you need to start with good clean power. As for components you need to listen to the different ones and decide. Another thing to consider is not all lines from one company will sound the same(I like the sound from my Q line Quarts but hate the sound of the Discus line) For SQ one 10' sub in the right sized enclosure should be more than enough. Just try and match you components equally and you will be rockin
Old 03-20-2005, 01:42 PM

What do you have now? If you have the infinity system in your truck now the first thing you will want to do is replace all of the speaker wires. For the rear doors on your QC you want 5 1/4" (it is what fits without mods to the door) For the front you will want 6X9's with tweeter's and crossovers. For the amp a four channel 650 watt should do ya. Run some big power cable to a 1 Fared capacitor then to the amp. For a sub box check out the Q-Logic's box that fits between your rear seat and your center console. It will hold a twelve. As far as what brand, it is up to you to decide what you like best. All of my stuff is DEI and I love all of it. I spent a total of 1500.00 and it incuded everything but instalation. If you want pics let me know.
Your amp will fit under the center seat and it is less likley to get bumped out of ajustment by passangers feet.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:11 PM

Ratsun

I've got MB Quarts PSE 216 sitting on my office floor waiting to be put in. Have you listened to them before? I thought they were the best value for sound quality of all the Quarts. These will go in the front door. Where did you mount your tweeter and crossovers? I'm not sure where they would fit the best for imaging. Since I have gauges on the A post, I don't think the tweeters will fit or give best performance. I also have DKE 113 for the back, I just want them for fill. Both will be powered by a JL Audio 300/4.
The end result hopefully will be just clean power. Whether I listen to jazz, blues, country, or classic rock; give me clean tunes!
Anyway, this whole system ran just under a grand minus the head unit.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:21 PM

I am doing a DIY system, it will cost right around $2000, but will beat out alot of $4000 and up systems, just because you save alot when you do it yourself, if you arent, I would take the suggestion above and get the CDT components, for a sub, if you want good clean sound, look into the Image Dynamics IDMAX line, they work well with lower power too, you dont need a cap, just update the Big three, and run heavy enough wire to your sub and speakers, that is a very nice deck, i have the 35, it is the exact same deck but the screen is nicer, but the internals are all the same, amazing deck. To learn more about systems check out caraudio.com, elitecaraudio.com, sounddomain.com, they all have good information, what I gave is a good start, and if you are the slightest bit mechanically inclined just install the stuff yourself and save money, its extremely easy, if you want to hear about my system just ask, any more info just ask, also Dufrain sent me in the right direction for a system, look up a thread we had about a system, we went through various things that you may encounter, such as 6x9s versus components, different HUs, subs, and the like. Anyways, good luck.

-Jared
Old 03-20-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4RGSP
Your new premium line Quarts will probably be the same speakers as my 2 year old Q line. What Quart does when they design a new speaker is down grade all the other lines and the Discus gets the boot, so Qs become Premium and Premiums become Referance and the current referance become Discus. IMHO you got a awsome set of speakers, as far as the JL power I have never personally used their products but have heard great things about them. I have the DKE113s for fillers in my sub enclosure between the PWE 304 subs. In the rear doors I put a set af RCE 216(had to do some cutting but they went). As for the mounting, your PSEs shoud have a coaxial style mount that allows you to angle the tweeter up. I didnt like the imaging with the tweeter up in the pillar(I like the tweeter within 3" of the driver) I mounted the tweeter and driver to a piece of 1/8 hardboard (mount the speaker inside the door cutout so your drivers dont slap the inside of the door pannel like what happened to my first attempt ) One more thing, for SQ you cant use enough sound deadner, layer the entire inside of the door(inner and outer skin) and double up the area directly behind the speakers. This seems like a unnessasary step but it will amaze you at the differance it will make as a car door makes a crappy speaker enclosure. You have some great equipment there and with the proper instalation you will be very happy. If you have any other questions you think I can help with feel free to PM me.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:17 PM

Alpine here. Its difficult to get the CD player to skip when off-roading. Alpines hard to beat.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:07 PM

second on what all diesel_kid said. I have the CDT's run off a US amps 400X and they sound excellent. IDMAX's are great subs, along with Resonant Engineering XXX's and Adire Brahma's all of which are comprable to JLW7's (theres quite a few more but those are the only Ive heard in person). As good as all those subs are, fitting them in a second gen w/o building a custom box could be difficult. JL makes a really nice sealed "stealthboxes", one fits under the center front seat for 1 sub, the other holds two and goes under the rear seats........both hold a sub comparable to a JLW3 in size. Good luck, tryn do it yourself and save yourself a ton of $$$$

Jeff
Old 03-21-2005, 07:51 PM

See Signature for Sound: section...

400 miles on it (almost, still trying to get the drivers side mid and twetter mounted in the Q-logic Kick-panel...cant figure out how to bend the parking brake to make it fit , any ideas???).

Initial comments, good enough I didn't hear my turbo going south on me on my way to Florida. Need to tune on the amps to get the front/rear sound balanced a little better, front's are waaaay louder. I need to sit down and figure out what I've got in it, but no more than $2500 including the Fatmat deadener.

Also, need to figure out a way to get two amps, a 1.5f capacitor, and a 10 disc changer under the back seat (any suggestions??? right now have the seat locked up, but I need it sometimes )

I think when I get everything all ironed out I'll have one heck of a Country Boy's Mobile Stereo.

Chris
Old 03-27-2005, 11:01 PM

i have upgraded my sterio and you can tell the diffence. i have an eclipse cd player/head unit. 2 pioneer premier 4 way 6x9's and 2 pioneer 3 way 5 1/4 in the rear doors.
if you can get a 6 1/2 componet system you can get a mounting kit for the front speakers and place a 6 1/2 in the door and have a 1" tweeter for your pod. i have a kenwood 745 which is a 4X75 watt amp for my mids and highs and a kicker kx850 and a kicker 12"l7 in a spl box. i removed my middle seat in the front and bolted the sub box to the middle seat mounting points and now i can only seat 5 but the sound is awsome and the box sits as high as the armrest did before. you do loose the storage space in the armrest but the sound you get makes it worth it. also the sound dampening material in the 3500 means you do not get the door or trunk flex sound that most people have when they put their subs in the trunk of the car with no dynamat. good luck.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:17 PM

I have the stock equipment in my 98 and it's still too loud for my senior ears! You guys will all be deaf before you are fifty! I know, I know...shut up, you old fart! Charlie.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:55 PM

Charlie,
I'm with you. I gave up going to ear bleeding concerts 20 years ago. But, I didn't give up my taste for excellent music.
I do have better stereo equipment in my truck not for the loudness, but for the cleanliness. Nothing worse than dirty bass, and raspy mids.