Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Smarty

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geico266
I guess I'm just thinking out loud here and maybe its not worth worring about. But if I have it set on the econo setting and I want to now race a Fred I have to stop the truck and change the program? Is it just me or this this unsatisfactory?

I'm leaning towards getting one, I just don't want to get one and have an "On the fly" model come out in six months and I'm screwed.
The way you handle that is to install a fueling box that you can adjust while running. That way you can run the Smarty ECM programming for its general all-around driveability improvements, and then crank up the fueling if you need to smoke a Ferd...

Edited to say: There are threads all over the place about this, so I'll just summarize by saying that there simply isn't enough storage capacity within the 2nd Gen ECU to store more than one program. So about the only way they could make it on-the-fly adjustable would be to create a completely new ECU with more storage, and I'm sure the cost would be prohibitive for that. Not sure about later models?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The smarty will never be out dated. Marco has updates on his web page for any future software improvements. Plug in the USB cable, and update. It will be that simple. This sounds like the ultimate improvement for our trucks.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
I guess I'm just thinking out loud here and maybe its not worth worring about. But if I have it set on the econo setting and I want to now race a Fred I have to stop the truck and change the program? Is it just me or this this unsatisfactory?

I'm leaning towards getting one, I just don't want to get one and have an "On the fly" model come out in six months and I'm screwed.
If you want in cab adjustability at a touch of a button go with an Edge Comp or the like. Of course you could still couple the Smarty in with the Comp, just use a program without timing. You still get low end fueling/torque and tire adjustment, etc. with the Smarty.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
If you want in cab adjustability at a touch of a button go with an Edge Comp or the like.
From what I have read you are not getting the full potential of the smarty if you are already running a timing box. From what Marco and Bob have said it would better to run the smarty on the timing setting and having a different type of adjustable box that doesn't have timing. That way you would have adjustability on the fly with the programming of the smarty. Why would you ran a timing box when you can put in a program into the ECM that has timing in it and it will let the engine run better? JMO If I had a comp. I would sell it now while there are still people out there that want it and get a smarty. Then you could buy a different type if adjustable box without timing if you still wanted it.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:29 PM

Maybe this has been asked but why is the Smartey's timing better than the comps timing? I would think people that trade the comp for the Smarty would be disappointed if the goal is HP to the ground?

Why sould I sell my comp, buy a $650 tuner and spend another $600+ (I don't know what fueling boxes cost) for a fueling only box?

If I'm hyjacking and this has already been answered, be easy, I haven't had time to read all the threads.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by yarddog
Maybe this has been asked but why is the Smartey's timing better than the comps timing? I would think people that trade the comp for the Smarty would be disappointed if the goal is HP to the ground?

Why sould I sell my comp, buy a $650 tuner and spend another $600+ (I don't know what fueling boxes cost) for a fueling only box?

If I'm hyjacking and this has already been answered, be easy, I haven't had time to read all the threads.
I personally thing those are fair questions. I think what has been suggested as a good combination for the Smarty would be a TST box or Redline fueling boxes, but I already have a Comp, so if I made the decision to try a Smarty, I'd try to use the Comp first. One of my buddies just got his in today so we are going to try it out on my truck tonight. I'm going to try the program with out timing, then cut my comp off and try the Smarty on level 9 and see how it all compares. Should be interesting.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:41 PM

I thought these were VIN locked? At least I read that the tire size adjuster was locked, I don't know about the different ECM programs?
Old 02-09-2006, 04:49 PM

I'm sure we'll read before we try it on my truck first, but I imagine it is like most downloaders in that they are VIN locked until you take the programming out. If I have the program in my truck, then he will not be able to add the program too. Only one at a time. That may not be the case though, that is why we will read first.

During a test of one of the Beta units at an event that I attended you could do one truck at a time. After you removed the programming, you could do another. I don't know if this was the Beta unit only that would do another truck after the removal of the programming from the previous though.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is how I understand it, which is probably incomplete and oversimplified: An outboard box can only alter the signal after it's put out by the ECM, which I'm pretty sure is going to limit what signals can be changed and when, as well as the parameters within which it can be changed. The Smarty, on the other hand, replaces the programming in the ECM itself. So it can put out whatever signal it wants rather than fiddling with an existing signal.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
One of my buddies just got his in today so we are going to try it out on my truck tonight.
FWIW I can now confirm that testing a smarty will enable cold weather features on your truck if you haven't had the dealer do the update
Old 02-09-2006, 10:34 PM

UPDATE:

You can set one truck back to stock and move it to another and it works just fine.....it is listed in the manual as such also.

Ok, we ran the Smarty in my truck first since we had to take the Mad Catcher out of my buddies truck first. We set it on #9 (full catcher with timing) and left my comp turned off to start......holy cow this spools the turbo and fuels like crazy all the way to 3200 in my low gears (6 speed, 4.10 gears) right from the get go. My truck has always been a pig in 2-4, but once you hit 5th and 6th, hang on. Ok, after hitting 5th and 6th with just the Smarty it doesn't fuel as hard as the Comp only does, but, very, very acceptable. Then we changed programs....no more than 5 minutes max.....very easy. We went to #8 which is the full Catcher, no timing. I then turned my Comp on and.........MOTHER %$#@*&, you better hang on with white knuckles......this thing is sick! Gotta get me one of these.....Bob, you listening......PM me, I'll order tomorrow.....no joke....it is that good! 'nuff said!
Old 02-10-2006, 05:57 AM

I agree 100% with ya there. I have the drag comp and smarty and tried #8 myself Today I wiil be taking a 600 mi. trip so am going to try the fuel saver mode. Hard to do when you know how much fun #8 is lol.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:03 AM

I've got a ninja like postman who slipped me a sorry we missed you card in the door yesterday instead of bringing me my Smarty I'll have it in an hour
Old 02-10-2006, 07:06 AM

Ninja like postman Do not leave your doorstep!!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 07:10 AM

He snuck the card in while I was here then jumped on the roof and took off I guess

Quick Reply: New Smarty