Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Smarty

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Smarty

Well guy's I have the new smarty installed and so far I'm really impressed. I used to have a surging problem with my turbo when I would hit overdrive unless I had it shut off and then turn it on at about 55mph. Now for some odd reason I can hammer it with no problems at all. I will be taking a trip to Springfield, MO. from WI on Friday and will try the fuel saver mode. It is so easy to use and change programs.You can also do tire calibration and read codes. If anyone out there is even thinking about one of theses units I would say do it you'll not regret it. I had taken a small trip yesterday and found that It is still great to drive on setting 8 with the comp off. It handles the large injectors great!So far no faults at all, Well I have so much more playing to do. Will post anything I find. A HUGE Thanks to Bob Wagner, You have made me so
Old 02-07-2006, 06:34 AM

Drag comp and smarty?- Let us know how well these two play together once you've had time to play.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:09 PM

yeah keep us posted, i would like to get one with my drag comp. How much are these smartys? Thanks Skyler
Old 02-08-2006, 07:03 PM

$649 http://www.madselectronics.com/
Old 02-08-2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by jazz_kt
I had taken a small trip yesterday and found that It is still great to drive on setting 8 with the comp off.
Hmm, with the comp off you could turn it up to 9 (for smarty timing)
Old 02-08-2006, 07:17 PM

Hey I will try anything,but got to have some time. I really need some play time to get out and really work it to see what it will do. Work is not my favorite thing to do but it pays the bill's. But as far as my turbo surge it really has taken care of that which really surprised me, even with the drag comp on.In all I really need more time to play with this and see what is what with my set up. I will be leaving Friday morning for Springfield MO. so I will try to use the fuel saver mode either on the way down or back. I have been thinking about trying it with the comp on and the comp off to see what difference there might be there. Want do u think I should try or what would you be interested in knowing? (Phatboy) or anyone else. It's a new toy for me so lets play some combo's and see what this thing will do for us.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:36 PM

I won't be putting a comp on mine- my smarty is on its way. I just enjoy reading people's observations. You're the first I've seen using comp/ smarty so I'm just curious.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess I'm behind ....again. I have a VA 35 HP box, can I still use the Smarty to get an additional 75 HP? What are the advantages of this Smarty thing?

Go slow I'm an old gear head.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:47 AM

From a va to smarty you'd gain code reader, tire calc,....

Main thing is it will eliminate all defueling from the ecm. Check out post #10 on the recent Va vs Smarty thread: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=91064
Old 02-09-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Phatboy
From a va to smarty you'd gain code reader, tire calc,....
Do I have to take the VA off? It's really old, only 35 HP increase.

Also, You have to stop the truck to change programs? This may be a dumb question, but would not an in cab adjustable be better?
Old 02-09-2006, 07:49 AM

You don't have to take the VA off, but you aren't gaining much from it and the smarty has timing programmed into it. Some say it wouldbe better to just run the smarty. Many have had questions about on the fly adjustability but it is not possible. Marco has stated that the ECM can't hold enough information to make this possible. But to change programs all that you have to do is plug it into the code reader port and change things. Not on the fly but at least you don't have to get under the hood.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

it only takes 2 minutes to change programs
Old 02-09-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
it only takes 2 minutes to change programs
I guess I'm just thinking out loud here and maybe its not worth worring about. But if I have it set on the econo setting and I want to now race a Fred I have to stop the truck and change the program? Is it just me or this this unsatisfactory?

I'm leaning towards getting one, I just don't want to get one and have an "On the fly" model come out in six months and I'm screwed.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:32 AM

There will never be an on the fly mode for this programmer. It actually reprograms your ECM so you can't change it will running. But if you have that need there are some other boxes that you can stack with it that don't add timing like the power max from TST.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geico266
I guess I'm just thinking out loud here and maybe its not worth worring about. But if I have it set on the econo setting and I want to now race a Fred I have to stop the truck and change the program? Is it just me or this this unsatisfactory?

I'm leaning towards getting one, I just don't want to get one and have an "On the fly" model come out in six months and I'm screwed.
In a perfect world we would have it all. My guess is that if Marco could make such a thing at a reasonable cost we would have it.

With regards to Econo setting and racing a Ford, go to the track with it on the highest setting. Why would you race at the track on the Econo setting anyways?

Quick Reply: New Smarty