Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Scotty II

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Taz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Scotty II and Timing Questions???

I jusy installed my new Scotty II and I am very pleased so far. I also installed a 4k GSK at the same time and I have a few questions. I put the factory filter minder in the air intake hose between the filter and the turbo, the highest it has been is 10 inhg. Is this good, bad or indifferent?? Just wandering. Also I checked my timing and I think the hole in the injection pump gear is not actually top dead center. According to my readings, which I did numeruos times and arived at the same result each time, my timing is set at 20* 5.7mm of plunger lift. Is this possible?? I bought the rig used so I don't know the whole history of it. When I got it everything was stock, down to the old tape player. Is there another way to tell TDC short pulling the head or the pan to see the actual crank position?? PLEASE HELP

p.s. I was thinking of about 16*or 17*. What do you think?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:41 PM

Sounds like somebody screwed with the timing.

If you use Pier's chart plunger lift chart for your truck (96 auto =180HP pump) then elaborate on his chart a little (it only goes to 16*, but for every .5* you just add .1mm) then your measurements are correct. 20* would = 5.7mm of lift.

If your unsure of the timing pin, get a small curved pic and pull out the retaining ring round the inner lip housing the pin. Then the pin itself just slide's right out. This is how we had to do my timing a month ago. Have someone bar the motor over while feeling for the hole in the back of the gear. Don't worry you finger can't get caught in there, you can only feel the flat back of the gear.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Taz

I have lined the hole in the pump gear with the timing pin hole with a mirror and light to what appears to be center. I am wondering if the pump has been replaced and it was installed with everything except for the pump gear in the right place. If the motor was at TDC, the pump was set for X* at TDC and the gear was off where the the timing pin hole didn't line up. The gear is just a tapered fit so this could have happened and I would have really no way of knowing exactly where TDC actually is short of actually qbserving crank, or piston position.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:25 AM

Why not just go with the assumtion that its correct and set the timing to where you want it?
Old 03-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Taz, the factory filter minder will not work very well with my Scotty Systems. The air intake is not sealed to give you a good value. The best way to determine if it needs cleaning is to inspect it when you do an oil change. Put the filter minder on the shelf with the stock air box.

Scotty
Old 03-19-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The timing pin is off in many rigs, ok enough for valves but not for setting the timing. What I do is pull the #1 injector and check for the top of it's stroke with a dial indicator. Mark the dampener so you don't have to do it again.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Taz

I was hoping you would say that Scotty, thank you.

I was afraid of that about the timing issue. I just didn't know if someone knew of a quicker and easier way of doing it. As you all know however, quick and easy is not always the best. Thanks again for all your help.

Trending Topics

Old 03-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Some may say it's quicker and easier but not me is to remove the #1 valve cover get close to TDC by watching for lose valves then tighten down the valves while turning the engine back and forth. When the valves will tighten no more and the engine can't be turned over you are at TDC.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:57 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Has the gear housing been replaced? If it has, the timing pin housing may not be in exactly the right place, due to slop in its boltholes. There is a procedure for installing it correctly. The hole in the back of the gear is not an issue, because it is in the CAM gear, not the injector pump gear, and it can only be installed in one place.