Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Member in the P0216 Club

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure its a club everyone wants to be in but I am a not proud member also , mine was acting the same a hohn's I just got tired of dealing with the little problems and yanked mine.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:22 PM

So my question is if you get the code and warranty is still good on the truck, I got like 4k left, need to check the code, but are they obligated to replace it under warranty.

No Bombs, only an FP guage
Old 10-20-2005, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes they are! They may give you a song and dance, if the truck is still running ok...but register that code with them before 100,000 and you will be covered.

RJ
Old 10-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Banned

They might try and void the warranty because of your fuel pressure gauge. Mine tried to blame my stock lift pump going out on my gauge.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Thumbs down

Ok I tried the key trick and,...... 0216
I'll start a new thread for advice.
B00. I didn't want to join the 0216 club
Old 10-21-2005, 09:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rjohnson
Yes they are! They may give you a song and dance...
RJ
NO joke. My local dealer first diagnosed by pump problem (with a showing 0216 code) as a WASTEGATE problem. So, after I paid $99 for them to return my WG hose and elbow back to stock, I took it back to them the next day so they could fix it right.

Actually, I picked it up from them and tried not to be angry when they told me it was the wastegate. I would have laughed, but embarassing them wasn't going to help my warranty position.

How is it that techs can be so ignorant? I consider it physically impossible for a malfunctioning wg (which was "tampered", ahem) to affect the combustion process at all.

Anyway, I told them that wasn't the problem, and brought it back to the dealer 30 minutes after picking it up-- with a fresh CEL and 0216.

The next day they took it in and--- whaddaya know! It was the pump!!

Who ever would have guessed???
Old 10-21-2005, 10:59 AM

Ya welcome to the club.

Hope someone finds a fix for the VP44. What a piece of junk. I didn't know that regular maintanance for the cummins included changing out the injection pump every 40-80k miles.

-CM
Old 10-21-2005, 12:29 PM

I did not consider the Hot rod VP-44 because of my work....I really need to be able to turn down the fueling...especially with Mach 4's. I THINK the Hot Rod is just another way to get more fuel in the lower RPM range. Anyone have feelings...Yea or Ney on this?

The Blue Chip interests me, but for three reasons I went with a re-Mfg pump.
1-They are all re-Mfg now, since I have been told Bosch stopped making them.
2-I got one for $1,080 with no core charge (do have to send it in or my card will be hit).
3-Price, time to get it and up front core charge.

It appears a whole new, and price competitive, after market industry has been spawned since Bosch allowed dealers to rebuild the VP-44.

What has everyone else done for replacments?

RJ
Old 10-21-2005, 01:15 PM

Does anyone know what the life expectancy is on the Hotrod Vp? More/Less then a factory reman?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:27 PM

I had the same thing happen, 1693 on the readout, had it scanned and 0216 came up.

This truck had got a new VP and lift pump at 40K and already needs another VP at 83K. It's very disappointing. If it wasn't under warranty I'd be furious. But since it is I'll get it replaced and modify the fuel system so the "new" VP will last as long as possible. I'm going to put a bottom feed on the tank and install a pusher to the relocated the lift pump. Also bigger lines while I'm at it.

I know changing the fuel system will void the warranty but if I do nothing, at this rate, I'll need another VP at 120K.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:57 PM

Seems like a rash of 02's popping up with bad VP-44's lately....or maybe my renewed interest is just noticing them better

Seems like it all started with HONN's inexplicable pump faliure........Let's all blame our's on him!

I feel better already.

UNSIGNED
Old 10-21-2005, 02:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rjohnson
I did not consider the Hot rod VP-44 because of my work....I really need to be able to turn down the fueling...especially with Mach 4's. I THINK the Hot Rod is just another way to get more fuel in the lower RPM range. Anyone have feelings...Yea or Ney on this?

The Blue Chip interests me, but for three reasons I went with a re-Mfg pump.
1-They are all re-Mfg now, since I have been told Bosch stopped making them.
2-I got one for $1,080 with no core charge (do have to send it in or my card will be hit).
3-Price, time to get it and up front core charge.

It appears a whole new, and price competitive, after market industry has been spawned since Bosch allowed dealers to rebuild the VP-44.

What has everyone else done for replacments?

RJ
HRVP will increase available fueling all across the RPM range. Not just on bottom. Think of it as swapping 275 for stock injectors.

But smoke control w/ HRVP is no different than with regular VP.

The Blue Chip pump is nothing unique or special to BC. They were the first to learn about it and publicize it, but Bosch doesn't play favorites. It would be too expensive to make a special FPCM just for FedEx.

The reality is that any authorized VP rebuilder (like BC or I.I.) will have access to the improved electronics package.

I have no idea what iteration of VP pump was put in my truck as a replacement. It was whatever the dealer had in stock.

Oh, and Mr. UNSIGNED: I disavow any involvement or appearance of same, intentional or inadvertent in the creation, instigation, appearance, or initiation of any trend, whether real or imagined, towards any decrease in the reliability, durabilility, or dependability of the Bosch VP44 injection pumps, both HO and SO, fitted to Dodge Diesel trucks in the 2002 model year.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
HRVP will increase available fueling all across the RPM range.
But smoke control w/ HRVP is no different than with regular VP.

The reality is that any authorized VP rebuilder (like BC or I.I.) will have access to the improved electronics package.
Thanks Justin, Two things I did not know. Will almost make me look forward to the choices available NEXT time!

And on the HRVP...wouldn't that still mean more smoke down low....just like bigger injectors?

RJ
Old 10-21-2005, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Oh, and Mr. UNSIGNED: I disavow any involvement or appearance of same, intentional or inadvertent in the creation, instigation, appearance, or initiation of any trend, whether real or imagined, towards any decrease in the reliability, durabilility, or dependability of the Bosch VP44 injection pumps, both HO and SO, fitted to Dodge Diesel trucks in the 2002 model year.
Well said.....I think?