Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

new here

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same truck but 2 years older, my shifts are loud & before the chip alot slower than they are now (ecspecially when trying for better mileage!)

The silencer isn't good for any horsepower; in a way (barely) it acts as a funnel for airflow but not enough to make a difference. It's purpose is just to quiet down the turbo thats all.. no gains. It's incredibly simple to remove (theres 2 rings a snap & a silencer) if it won't come out put ice on it & it should shrink a tinee wienee bit. If you remove the muffler you'll get some HP gain (less back pressure.)

I have a cone AFE filter (go with one of those not the square drop ins, theyre not too great, had one) And you really don't NEED a performance torque converter because the power all these chips claim is not at the wheels, it's at the engine! You loose a substantial amount as it makes it's way to the wheels. I have an Auto with no tranny upgrades, a chip and a few other odds & ends. Heat will kill it, get a deeper pan & keep your tranny fluid in good shape & ur good to go BUT if your'e planning on chippin' it AND doing alot of hauling you may look into a torque converter. Clessie Cummins invented the Cummins as a waterpump to run 24/7 365 days a year.. these things are made for abuse. Our tranny's are made to do alot of hauling so some extra power is not enough to take it down (but too much will i.e. injectors, turbo & such after a chip) A valve body, shift kit will make your shifts faster and more precise if thats what you meant when you were asking about loud, long shifts.

I honestly dont even think we have Cat converters, atleast I know all 2nd gens don't.

You don't have to at all but I thought it was wise to get better air flow before my chip. I started with exhaust (cause it's all about gettin the air out as fast as possible.. even though you do need some backpressure) and then an intake. If you get your fuel to air ratio right then your'e getting the most power. For example if you just go and get 300hp injectors your'e not going to gain anywhere near that much because you have all this fuel being supplied but not enough airflow to turn it into HORSEPOWER =)

Great lookin truck!!! Rather be a Cummins than a strokein' :-p
Old 06-27-2007, 04:14 PM

well, i went to the muffler shop and straight piped it, and then took out the silencer ring on the turbo.

it sounds great, but i know my mpg is gonna suffer!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:02 PM

Hows that? Exaghst should have bettered your mileage (not noticeably).
Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 PM

oh yeah on paper it does, but now i gotta get on it all the time so i can hear it

i took the long way home so i could get on it under the railroad bridges and hear what everyone else hears when i pass

hopefully ill get over this in a few days before i run the tank dry!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 PM

blake....

congratulations on a great truck and finding a great sight...

now that you have fallen in love with that sound....and have that new pair of LEAD BOOTS....

you would be wise to get a fuel pressure guage soon....so you know what happens to the FP when those LEAD BOOTS go to work...

there are many options out there...the big question is weather you want mechanical or electric guages....do a search on here.

i went with the Quadzilla Commander set up...all in one package...i monitor 5 soon to be 6 different paramaters and can visually see 4 of them at once...i can monitor curently..fuel pressure,water temp,tranny temp, boost, and exhaust gas temp. i will soon with a simple download be able to monitor RPM..the seventh item is rail pressure but it doent apply to me or you.

do a search online for Quadzilla products and read up on the commander...it is nice as a stand alone guage system that will allow you to add chips,boxes,and preformance mods as you would like to at a later date and it is compatiable with most of the major ones..all quad products,edge,tst,van akken..etc

over all my recommendaton to you is take it easy untill you get that FP guage installed...you dont need a check engine light comming on and a dead pedal due to a bad fuel pressure from the lift pump.

NCA
Old 06-27-2007, 08:20 PM

how hard is it to install a fuel press gauge. i found one on ebay - stuart warner w/ all hardware for $68
Old 06-27-2007, 09:17 PM

its not hard, as long as you have the tapped banjo bolt on the bottom of the the fuel filter. Go to your local hardware store and get brass fittings that will fit the fuel line for the gauge. (i used a 1/8'' ball valve from the bottom of the banjo bolt, and put the fuel gauge line into it (use collets to seal it), but also get some Permatex to insure no leaks. (the ball valve is to control the fuel to the gauge and you dont faul it out, and if it ever leaks in your cab you can stop the leak). PM me if you have qeuestions
Old 06-27-2007, 09:56 PM

Welcome, I am new as of today also. I se your from Rome ga. I am just up down the road in Woodstock Ga. Good luck on your new truck.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:47 PM

Hahaha oh I see! YOU WON'T GET OVER IT! I still listen in tunnles and bridges. Hey guys, check out my trucks for sale! Want em?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Chapter President

At the very least get a low fuel pressure light, it works for me but I would get gauges if I was going to do any mods.

And dieseldarlin I would remove the ad from your signature (against site rules) there is a link at the top of the page to the classifieds and you can post your ad for free.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:26 PM

Hey, thanks for the heads up! I removed it!