Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New guy with performance build questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy with performance build questions

Hi! I'm looking to get a few answers/ suggestions on a performance build I am planning on doing. I do not yet own one of these trucks. Hopefully that won't ruffle any feathers. However, I have driven one on a semi- regular basis, so I am somewhat familiar with them. Familiar enough to know that I'm in love, anyway!

I am also only somewhat familiar with diesel engines. I understand basic theory, and I have lurked on diesel Ram websites for about a year, so I will generally understand what you are telling me.

Just wanted to get that out of the way, so that if you don't like answering dumb and potentially bizarre questions, you wont have to.

Alright, now that that's out of the way, let's talk about trucks!

I plan on purchasing a "97 2500, regular cab, long bed, 4x4. Auto trans.

I am looking for 500+ hp, with long-term durability, relatively low smoke, and low EGT's, as it will be asked to perform under heavy load for extended periods. I would like a fairly quick spool-up time with a wide powerband (wouldn't we all?) It's power will be used mostly from a 30-75 mph roll. I'm not looking for max power so much as lower smoke, EGT's, and durability. Streetability is a must, as it will be a part-time daily driver. Mostly will be driven all through summer, and in winter when the weather gets too foul for the econobox to handle.
Planned uprgades are as follows-
1. PDR towing twins(HX35andHT3B) or PDR street twins( HX40 and HT3B)
(recommendations? )

2. PDR cam

3. PDR ported heads, stage 2 or 3. 163/183 cfm, 172/194cfm, respectively. (does powerband rise with increased cfm, the way it does on a gasser?) O-ringed.

4. DD stage 3 injectors

5. 3kGSK

6. What fuel plate, any ideas?

7. 5in. Exhaust

8. Kore Fox Racing suspension

9. DTT full billet trans, or maybe G-bros, as they are closer.

Any suggestions? I just KNOW I haven't covered every base. Any suggestions on improving durability? EGT's? Will lower compression be required? Money is not so much of a concern, because I plan on keeping the truck for a long, long time.

Sorry about writing a novel on here. Any suggestions or advice will be highly appreciated. Take care.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:02 AM

Also, I went WAAAY back in the forums and found something interesting. I found a thread entitled, "Front axle swap suggestions" on page 28 of first and second gen performance. In it, it was mentioned that the 2nd gen front d60 would not hold up well to high HP abusive offroad conditions. However, it was mentioned that the first gens had a much stronger 35 spline 1.5 inch shaft d60. Any truth to this? And if so, should I consider a first gen instead? I have read that the first gens had a weaker chassis than the second gen, which was what originally decided me on the second gen. However, the chassis can be reinforced for a good amount cheaper than the cost of a Dynatrack (I think that was the name?) axle upgrade at $4K.

Again, any advice will be HIGHLY appreciated.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Banned

Don't worry about the front axle. Unless you plan on doing some heavy wheeling with lots of throttle, then it will be fine. I'd go with the street twins over the towing twins. They will be slightly laggier but the 40 on top will help cool things better. I'm thinking for the plate you'd want a 10 or maybe 100. A 4k GSK would make your power band a lot wider. Full billet DTT all the way. As far as the head, I can't see how having the stage 3 job wouldn't be beneficial. I'd call up piers and talk to them and see what they say.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:23 PM

Wicked. Thanks a million, BigBlue.