Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Gauges in...Boost very low PSI??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Gauges in...Boost very low PSI??

2am and just finished installing the boost, pyro, and elec. F.P. gauges and Torque Dog. Had tons of fun with the wires under the dash . The pyro seems to read ok but the boost is at zero ?? When revved up to about 2600 rpm the boost will go to about 3 PSI. This is just sitting and not driving down the road. I've never had gauges on before, this doesn't seem right. The F.P. is reading about 15 (just put the Vulcan relocate kit with big lines on yesterday and have never run a F.P. gauge before so don't know what it has been previously), it will go down to 14 when revving up. Any input or ideas?? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:34 AM

You probably won't see much boost until you put a load on the engine. Take it for a drive and give it some throtle going up a steep hill.

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The engine will not add fuel, and therefore won't build up boost, until you put a load on it by driving it down the road or by revving it really high.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ncmech
2am and just finished installing the boost, pyro, and elec. F.P. gauges and Torque Dog. Had tons of fun with the wires under the dash . The pyro seems to read ok but the boost is at zero ?? When revved up to about 2600 rpm the boost will go to about 3 PSI. This is just sitting and not driving down the road. I've never had gauges on before, this doesn't seem right. The F.P. is reading about 15 (just put the Vulcan relocate kit with big lines on yesterday and have never run a F.P. gauge before so don't know what it has been previously), it will go down to 14 when revving up. Any input or ideas?? Thanks.
Had similar problems with the gauges I put in my truck and the gauges a buddy put in his....... My gauge was brand new out of the box and maxed out at 8psi. Didn't matter what I did. Turned out the gauge was bad from factory. Autometer replaced the gauge with no problems.
My buddy installed his and had a similar problem with low boost and it turned out that a bit of pipe dope was blocking the tube.... Good luck!
Old 04-19-2006, 05:54 PM

Its completely normal. I just put gauges in my 94 about a month ago. In park or neutral i can floor it and maybe see about 3psi. On the road though it shoots up to 35 pretty quick. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:01 PM

Totally normal. Even with my twins I can't make very much boost in nuetral. In drive it's a different story.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:11 PM

Hey all you fine guys who answered me....You are correct. I went to Chehalis today and voila....the boost was obvious when under load. EGT works great, the F.P. gauge and the boost is great. The vulcan relocate kit provided 15 psi and W.O.T. down to 12 psi (didn't have any pre-relocate data to compare to). I really don't know how effective the Bully Dog Torque Dog was (since changing to the 4" exhaust and AFE intake we already noticed a good increase in performance. I did notice today though that the overhead mpg monitor seemed to indicate a couple mpg more than what I had seen displayed earlier. I leave saturday morning for Oklahoma...Missouri...Minnesota...and then back to Washington so with a new gooseneck dual tandem trailer I will be picking up in Oklahoma, then it will be fully loaded in Missouri to move a friend back to Wa. I should know more when this trip is over. I have really appreciated ALL OF THE HELP that everyone on the DTR site has given me over the last couple of months of reading to get me where I am. You are all very nice to help everyone else out!!! I will be an active participant to this website to join all of you in sharing all of this important information. Without all of the input I've read (til really late...early morning hours....good thing I'm retired) I wouldn't have developed the appreciation for this that I now have. Thanks again to all.
Dondi (Retired Numerical Control Machine Tool Mechanic...from Boeing)
P.S. We really love our Cummins power!