Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New FASS system - no fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New FASS system - no fuel pressure

My mechanic installed a complete FASS Fuel system on my truck a few months ago along with gauges. Been working fine since then until yesterday. Drove it to the jobsite in the morning, drove it to a meeting and back to the jobsite in the afternoon. Ran fine. Tried to start it at the end of the day and noticed immediately fuel pressure gauge was at 0. With key on, couldn't hear pump running. Checked connections, fuel system relay, jiggled wires, nothing. Since I'm new to one of these aftermarket systems and I didn't install it, any ideas what the problem might be?

As a side question, if you turn over the engine with no fuel pressure, how quickly does a lift pump get destroyed? A second or two or more than that? I've been through 2 in the last few years before gauges and hope I haven't destroyed another.

1999 Model

Last edited by dogfish; 11-14-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Missing info.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With just the key on, the pump shouldn't run. The pump should kick on for just a second when you first turn the key on, but then will shut off until the motor is running. Try just bumping the starter without starting the engine, the pump should kick on then.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:23 AM

Crank the truck and see what happens.The fuel pressure should come up immediately.If it doesnt then shut it down.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:20 PM

Fuel pressure gauge normally shows pressure when key is turned on. I assume because its a pressurized system that would be normal. The tank pump may run briefly to pressurize to specs. but if there's no pressure and no tank pump running then either the pump in my tank is bad or there's no power to it. Pressure gauge is between tank pump and lift pump which should keep me from killing a lift pump if I'm paying attention. I turned it over briefly a few times but still no fuel pressure. Any more thoughts?