Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New F1 Injector Request - Mach .75 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New F1 Injector Request - Mach .75 ?

Just wondering if it would be feasible for Don M. to design a new "Mileage" series injector. Something like a Mach .75 (similar in power to RV275's).

Wondering if his EDM process and design would net any more efficiency out of that level injector. I do know he can make them better matched and smoother overall.

I like the power level of the 275's for daily driving, probably due to being in the big city and do alot of "stop & go" type driving where there can be alot of crawling along and having that extra precision at the beginning of the go pedal is useful in that situation.

Tried the M1's and liked them very much, but were still a little hot of the bottom for what I was looking for.

Not sure if there would be a big demand for them or not. Most people seem to want big power.. But I would think if they did net better mileage and were smoother running than 275's (possibly cooler EGT's) they would have SOME demand. Not sure how much. If he had some I would try them.

What do you guys/gals think??
Old 09-15-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know quad is making a milage only box. It was a thread on here somewhere.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:13 PM

What program are you running the Smarty on?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:59 PM

5, 3, 1, and Stock Software.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:12 AM
The Guru

When I run my that way, just on the smarty. It would smoke to much for me, no power. The best power/no smoker set-up that I've found, I run my edge comp box on 1x1 and my smarty one 4. No smoke and decent spools. 3X3, also works well, faster spools, more smoke. The edge box takes out some fuel down low and adds it in up in the rpm range. How well is your HX-35 spool? Is it getting carboned up? Boost leaks? The 275 sticks are pretty small. I can hardly smoke a set of 130 size injectors and egt's you can forget them. I just get a puff if I get into it.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the comments..

Actually, my current setup is running very well and am not referring to my truck.

Im talking about taking something that is already good and improving it. The RV275's have been used for several years as a major choice for hot-shotting and heavy-towers for several reasons. Also, for people that only want mild upgrades and are not interested in heavy fueling and making the mods to support that.

If the 275's are already known as a good mileage injector, I would like to see what Don M. can come up with that has the same power output, but even better efficiency. I would think they may run even cooler and am sure they would be better matched so they would probably be smoother as well. As for a mileage increase, hey I'd be all for it. They could be the "Rolls Royce" version of an already good injector.

The RV275's are good. A new F1 Mach .75 would probably be a great..

Run bio through them along with a Smarty on mild and were talking about a good running rig and very clean burning as well.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
When I run my that way, just on the smarty. It would smoke to much for me, no power.
I think you are missing the whole point.

Mach 6 injectors are a pretty heavy injector for the street even with twin turbos. Your truck is configured more for competition which is why you need to use the Drag box in defuel mode to make it more streetable. The average Joe does not have twin turbos, head work, added intake cooling, etc.

That is not a flame, I'm talking about a totally different application. Your truck is "cool", but in a different way.

Im talking about a simple setup that is cool burning, clean burning, very controllable, would be great for rock crawling, towing heavy, hot shotting, carrying a camper, high mileage, and someone not wanting to upgrade a lot of other parts to support the extra power.

RV275's are good - Would Mach .75's be better?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:14 PM

The thing is, the Mach's are going to be a lot more expensive that the 275's even if they were just a touch better. Who is going to pay double for an injector that basically runs the same as a set you can get for half the price? It would be hard to get enough of a mileage gain to make up the extra money spent. Not saying no one would buy them, but the 275's seem to be a heck of an injector for the money.

Eric
Old 09-16-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shortshift
...RV275's are good - Would Mach .75's be better?
I think your missing an important point!
To me, mileage is determined, in large part, by the quality (efficiency) of the spray pattern coming from the injector. Power is determined by amount of throttle.
I have owned Mach 2's, 4's & 6's. I gained mileage with my first set of Mach's and have never lost mpg's with bigger sets.
Smaller Mach's would just be less power but may not increase mileage... unless you just can't keep your right foot out of it.

RJ
Old 09-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think ROWJ is onto something.

I get the same mileage with M4s that I did with a bone stock truck, and I actually drive the truck a hair more aggressively (hard not to with a Smarty).

The factory Bosch injectors are actually very good for atomization and spray angle. Think of all the money spent on reducing emissions and such by a mega corporation like Bosch. The factory Bosch injectors are EDMd for initial machining, then honed to clean them up.

Basically, some "don 275s" would be re-inventing the wheel, only with much less favorable economies of scale to reduce cost.

If you want to get your best mileage some time, load the half-power software from your Smarty. This makes it very easy to fine-tune the part throttle fuel delivery, and makes towing a lot smoother, too.

Honestly, half power with M4s feels like stock-- just a hair less power. Mileage, however is about the same or maybe a hair better.

I know when Don was first messing with injectors about 4-5 years ago, he built some 14 hole and 11 hole injectors. In some cases, they worked well at low boost and then were terrible at higher boost pressures.

If you're only running stockish boost levels (under 25psi), Don could make a sweet 11 or 12 hole injector that would have basically no smoke and great response, but I wouldn't expect a large mileage gain if any at all.

MPG and injector size/hole count are not as closely linked as we might want to believe.

JMO
Old 09-17-2007, 06:23 AM

Interesting opinions.. Thanks for the comments.

Guess I am missing the point.

I'm basically quite satisfied with the current 275's now, so it looks like they will be staying in place for a long time.

I did not know that they were already manufactured using the EDM process.

Was just hoping for something that could be even more efficient. Probably not going to happen at this rate.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:58 AM
DTR Advertiser

Hmmm, A have a terrible time making the holes for a Mach 1. A .75 would be a hair pulling experience. LOL

Actually its a piece of cake these days, but in the early years. Oh Boy!

I could do it, but of course I have never tested such a thing so the results would be anyones guess.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:07 AM

What sort of mileage are guys getting with these various combinations?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Don M
I could do it, but of course I have never tested such a thing so the results would be anyones guess.
Appreciate the thoughts Don. Well, maybe if you ever have a chance to try some simple prototypes without having to spend a lot of time re-inventing the wheel, something good might come out of it..
Old 09-17-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jaxn51
What sort of mileage are guys getting with these various combinations?
Some people are claiming 22-23 MPGs on the highway with Formula 1 injectors, and advancing the timing with some sort of added fueling box.

Quick Reply: New F1 Injector Request - Mach .75 ?