Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New exhaust finally in!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New exhaust finally in!

I finally bit the bullet. My stock exhaust went about 100K before a baffle broke in the muffler. Rattled like crazy and drove me batty. I started to replace just the muffler but the cost combined with the fact that I found a leak from the rear of the resonator made me start looking for a replacement system. Local shops wanted $450-$700 for a 4". I found one at shopdiesel.com, with a muffler, for $290 to my door.

The system came in a big box (86lbs) full of newspaper and strangely, numerous ads for AARP............... Quality looked good and there was only a couple of places on the pipe that I had to beat with a sledge to get back in round. I guess the newspaper worked.

Since moving to town I haven't had a cutting torch so I grabbed my little grinder with a cutting wheel. No go. Hacksaw? You gotta be kidding. I ended up borrowing a sawzall------carved it in two like BUTTA! Directions said cut just past the downtube where it levels off and right behind the muffler. Old system slid out easily and the new system slid together with no problems except no matter how I angle the tube over the rear axle and the tail pipe I cannot get my spare tire to fit in the stock location. Oh well, I chained it in the bed.

My only gripe? Beside the spare tire thing? The first hanger needs to be welded, all others are finished. I think the website should emphasize that.

I also changed the oil while I was under there and installed my FUMOTO valve. Man! I should have put this thing on long ago. A friend showed me these things. Makes changing oil a breeze and keeps the mess down to a minimum.

FUMOTO

Exhaust in a box:

Sound clip:

shopdiesel 4" exhaust
Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Chapter President

Sweet. Cummins are made to rumble
Old 02-07-2008, 04:27 PM

What brand is the exaust is it? When I put mine on my truck I had the same problem with the spare. I had to cut the over the axle pipe where it goes into the muffler because the radius of the pipe wasn't centered over the axle, which push the pipe tward the back of the truck making it contact the spare tire. Just something you might want to check.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:26 PM

i have had good luck MBRP put a few on from 98 -06 never had a problem with spare tire ....i got a good hook up on them 98-02 under 300$ shiped 03 was like 330$ shipped ...http://www.performancetruckproducts.com/
Old 02-07-2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by KHoffman
What brand is the exaust is it?
Shopdiesel.com in-house brand.

Shop Diesel Perf

Yeah, I liked the look of the MBRP and the included chrome tip but not enough to justify the extra cost. I'm a cheap %^&$#@!........