Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

new clutch time

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:51 AM
BCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new clutch time

I am doing a nv4500 to nv5600 conversion here in the next week or so, so I need a new clutch (no big deal, I was getting one soon anyway) my question to you guys out there is how streetable is the MU 13-1.375 Con FE?
I would like to be able to have this clutch instead of the con ofe because I would probably push that one past its limits before I am done with power upgrades. But I do need a clutch that is fairly smooth.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:05 AM

I have the OFE and when backing a trailer, it doesn't like it. Tends to chatter. Other then those instances when you really gotta ride it on and off, its smooth. Great for daily driving.

I imagine the FE would be rougher.

I was thinkin a 2wd low range kit would help out the situation.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:43 PM

I went with the OFE but am getting ready to go double disk since I underestimated my HP goals. If I was going to go with something as grabby as the FE, I'd personally go ahead and go double disk. There is an organic faced DD that has the same hp rating as the FE but is supposed to be more user friendly as I understand it. It is more money though.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:35 PM

Not to rob your thread BCB, but I thought I might slip this in here because it fits (mostly). I am in the process of upgrading and in addition to what is in the sig, I will somewhat soon have Mach 4's, a Phat Shaft 64, and a TST box. What SB clutch would be appropriate for this setup? I was thinking the FE, but I would like a somewhat smooth engagement, as I ride empty mostly, but tow a small amount about once every two weeks. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Rush
Old 06-23-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by rbattle
Not to rob your thread BCB, but I thought I might slip this in here because it fits (mostly). I am in the process of upgrading and in addition to what is in the sig, I will somewhat soon have Mach 4's, a Phat Shaft 64, and a TST box. What SB clutch would be appropriate for this setup? I was thinking the FE, but I would like a somewhat smooth engagement, as I ride empty mostly, but tow a small amount about once every two weeks. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Rush
If you are going to stay below 450 hp, go with the OFE. It has a much smoother engagement. I'll have an OFE for sale before too long if interested. It has only been in since January and less than 5000 miles on it. Let me know if you have any interest. No pressure at all though.

Take care, Matt
Old 06-23-2006, 08:36 PM

I talked to Peter at Southbend and he said he absolutely tries to talk everybody out of using a dual disk that has a street driven truck. He said that the dual disk does not have a floating hub like a single disk and over time it destroys the transmission. If anybody has questions about what clutch you need call Peter as he is very knowledgeable and willing to talk to potential customers. He also told me he is phasing out the FE and has raised the holding capabilities of the OFE as well as lowered the cost. Soon I will be ordering an OFE. Eric
Old 06-23-2006, 08:39 PM

Rattling noise in clutch

When I start out I get a loud rattling noise from my cluch. It doesn't do it when I shift from 3rd to 4th to 5th and then to 6th. Only when I let out the clutch from 2nd. Any suggestions.

Trending Topics

Old 06-23-2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lynallen2
When I start out I get a loud rattling noise from my cluch. It doesn't do it when I shift from 3rd to 4th to 5th and then to 6th. Only when I let out the clutch from 2nd. Any suggestions.
Replace it.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:23 PM

I only have 49000 miles what could be causing the rattling. I only occures when I start off.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lynallen2
I only have 49000 miles what could be causing the rattling. I only occures when I start off.

Hmm

that rattlin u are describin could be the springs in the clutch are broken, as was the case (before further damage) to that centerjunk trash dual whatever it was i had before.. U might wanna read up on here too if ur lookin for a clutch..

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=107035

I posted a reply here..

Rick
Old 06-23-2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by rbattle
Rush
Dunno about new offerings mentioned, but those mods will take you past the 450 rating for a ofe. Call Peter at SBC and he'll make a recomendation. If what ellerman says is true you might want to hold out for the new design. When I talked to Peter he was talking about raising the plate load on the fe so it'd hold more power.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:21 PM
BCB

called SBC and asked for the dodge cummins sales rep and ended up talking to woody. I told him that i used the truck to tow and my HP goals were about 500-550 amd he said that i should go with the MU 13-1.375 Con OFE he seemed to know what he was talking about. he said the ofe would hold the power just fine.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:10 PM

Interesting
Old 06-25-2006, 11:24 PM

You say this new OFE is cheaper AND higher horsepower rating? And it retains the same smoothness of engagement? I am in!
R
Old 06-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Banned

BCB where did you get the tranny for your swap? i just broke my 5600 and need to find a replacement

Quick Reply: new clutch time