Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

which new chip

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robins
THe only other chip out there that i know anything about is the XZT+, i like the idea of having a high idle.

Alright so what should i be looking at?

Thanks ROB
Although smarty is a downloader and not a chip; it still lets you have the factory high idle and 3 cylinder mode...even with the latest download (speed limiter removed) from what I've gathered through reading posts here on the forums...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:06 PM

The edge comp is great piece, edge juice is a great one, TST PM3 is a mean chip but is timing only, Smarty is fun but on 65hp, lots out there. Quadzilla XZT and the new Quadzilla Adrenaline is so far a very cool chip. Your choice...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:47 PM

Actually, the TST does not do timing. It works really well when stacked with a timing box though!!

Dave
Old 12-12-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan5687
Well it wasn't just the Edge, but the edge pushed it over the limit and that's why it gave. But part of it was from the tranny getting to a flash point, it messed up the factory temp sensor on it when it was trying to send the info to the PCM, the edge overrides some of it. So the PCM then kicked the truck into limp mode and that's when that PCM went. They checked and ran tests on everything after the tranny was rebuilt and said it all led back to the PCM. But the Edge didn't help cause the info coming into the PCM actually gets replaced by running through the edge, so everytime the PCM was trying to gather info the edge kinda shuts it down, disables it a little I guess. Also, the current running through the wires on the truck and then unplugging and plugging in something else tweaks that current on how Dodge setup the electronics, and that doesn't blend well either. I know in theory it all should, but that's what goes on. Some of us have great luck and some not really lol lol.

Yeah, I've heard one or two 3rd gens that had that happen to, and one when it was plugged in didn't program it right, supposedly one of the units asks if it's and auto or standard and some other stuff that you have to get right in there. That one guy did fry his cause he had and auto and put standard wanting to see what would happen lol, he did a few other things too though.

Also, supposedly, these Dodges are kinda bad about loosing some stuff in the PCM's and ECM's so they have to be re-flashed or replaced...so I've heard. But the edge wasn't the main factor in mine going out.
I'm sorry, but thats crap. As far as I know, the only thing the Edge will do is boost fooling and thats really just a matter of faking a resistance value and that will still keep the current and voltage within the acceptable range.

If you're truck went into limp mode either you wired something wrong or something else went wrong. Also, if you messed up the factory temperature sensor by over-heating it you can't blame the chip for that it's the drivers fault.

To me it really seems like you were fed a lot of misinformation and you're going to be making a mistake by selling your chip and buying something different.

Then again, it's entirely possible the chip did some damage but if it did I'd be inclined to say it wasn't for reasons stated...
Old 12-12-2007, 05:54 PM

smarty

well as said the smarty is a downloader, but its a great product i have a lot of fun with mine even thought its only 65 hp. i tow heavy loads often and dont have any problems...although you do sometimes have to watch the trans temp. some times i overload my truck. only thing i wish is that i had on the fly adjustments, thats why i am thinking about stacking my smarty with a powermax 3 or a ce.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:08 PM

Ok just heard from the Dodge house today and they're all crap over there.

It did have to do with overheating the sensor. I guess the truck isn't technically in limp mode though. It starts in 3rd gear and is super slow to respond. Pull it down to first and it'll take right off but it only drops it into 2nd. Will not touch first gear whatsoever. The dodge house said it was the transducer and the governor cylanoid. They didn't detect anything wrong with the PCM at all, it was displaying fine and showing all the proper readings and codes. Talked to my mechanic and said that's impossible, he replaced both those things twice because it showed him that the first time. So he switched it to make sure. Same thing, so he looked into it further and EVERYTHING led back to the PCM. SO, tomorrow, the truck is going to have a new PCM programmed and installed. So we'll see who's right in this whole thing. I'm going with my mechanic on it. I'll be back on to post the results of it!

Also, Edge does a whole heck of a lot more than just boost fooling. I do not blame the chip for ruining the sensor at all.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan5687
Ok just heard from the Dodge house today and they're all crap over there.

It did have to do with overheating the sensor. I guess the truck isn't technically in limp mode though. It starts in 3rd gear and is super slow to respond. Pull it down to first and it'll take right off but it only drops it into 2nd. Will not touch first gear whatsoever. The dodge house said it was the transducer and the governor cylanoid. They didn't detect anything wrong with the PCM at all, it was displaying fine and showing all the proper readings and codes. Talked to my mechanic and said that's impossible, he replaced both those things twice because it showed him that the first time. So he switched it to make sure. Same thing, so he looked into it further and EVERYTHING led back to the PCM. SO, tomorrow, the truck is going to have a new PCM programmed and installed. So we'll see who's right in this whole thing. I'm going with my mechanic on it. I'll be back on to post the results of it!

Also, Edge does a whole heck of a lot more than just boost fooling. I do not blame the chip for ruining the sensor at all.
I agree that the edge does a ton, but boost fooling is about the only thing it does when it comes to manipulating anything with the factory computer. Unless you're referring to intercepting the map sensor wiring as well as tapping the wire to the pump? Neither of these would be something that would kill your PCM I'd think.

Also, I forgot. Was this a comp or a juice/attitude? If the latter, than all that does is intercept some values from factory sensors to give you information. BUT everything going to the PCM would be left alone as well...

Also, I'd be placing my money on the dodge boys getting it right. They have some pretty nifty electronics to play with and if you really over heated the snot out of your transmission then my guess is you did a lot more damage than originally anticipated.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:30 PM

Well I'm looking at it in the box and it was plugged into the MAP, pump, and Data Link. I'll talk to my mech. further tomorrow or so on it.

Yeah, it was the Juice. It does give me some info through factory sensors, but from what I've heard about it, the Edge overrides and somewhat shuts down the PCM and works with the ECM. So over time from the PCM trying to recieve stuff but goes to the Edge...like some of the values from the factory sensors. The edge kinda shuts it down so the PCM wont get it and the Edge will. That's just what I've been hearing from quite a few and ran into a few more that have had the same problem due to the Edge.

Oh lol, I know I really overheated it. It's been rebuilt since then and then he found this as he was trying to get the trany tested out from being rebuilt. EVERYTHING is new, VB, shift kits, TC, electronics, cylanoids....everything lol. So it was something in the process of overheating the tranny. We kinda have a guess as to what happened but will know more tomorrow to see if the new PCM fixes all the problems.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Oops, I mean the TST PM3 does fueling only. Good eye Fishin2Deep4U!!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:15 PM

IF Tst is fueling only how would it do if on my truck if i also having a sneeking susicion that i have rv 275 or some other mild injector.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:31 PM

WOuld some one give me a lesson on timing and fueling chips. How do they work, what do they do, and what is the effect?

Thanks i think i understand the basics to them but run it by me just so i know i got it. THanks
Old 12-13-2007, 12:20 AM

I guess I'm not sure what you're asking? Timing chips add timing, fueling chips adding fuel. Timing added at a lower RPM will give you the bottom end pull like a gasser.

What else are you looking to figure out?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:45 AM

ok heres my spill on this, i like the feel of a lesser chip and more injector, i got the XZT+ and love it, customer serves is great too. any question at all just ask em. im getting ready to order some injectors, pritty sure 90hp will get me where i want. drive it one the max milage setting most the time till i need a boost then just flip the switch and have some extra power. its all in what works best for you
Old 12-13-2007, 01:09 AM

Sorry, Im not sure what my question is now. I guess my question may stem from not knowing the intricasies of how a combustion engines work well.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Fueling chips-add fuel makeing more power in _________Range and more smoke. While timing gives more power in lower ranges.

I just read something about timing being bad for HO models like mine is that something to worry about or should i not believe everything i read.

I may have said this earlier but i think i have rv274 or a similar size injectors.
THough i dont think it matters i am not trying to make the truck a speedy gonzalas but a good strong towing truck for moving equipment and hay around.

THanks sorry to ask so many questions
Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 AM

I've only got a short minute to respond to this, but I wanted to point out that diesels are not combustion engines, they are compression engines. They don't have a spark to ignite fuel, its the force of compressing the fuel which makes the fuel reach its flash point at room temp. in turn making it ignite.

Also, the reason timing boxes are "bad" on an H.O. (should probably say more stressful compared to an S.O.), is because the H.O. motor has a higher compression. The higher compression mixed with higher timing settings make for very high cylinder pressures which can be stressful on head studs/bolts and gaskets.

edit: I'll check back later and respond more.

Quick Reply: which new chip