Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

new bomber needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new bomber needs advice

This is my second ctd now,(think I did it right this time)sold my 99 auto to buy a 98 5sp 12v. Now this truck has had some work done and runs like a raped ape, but I'd like to get a little more power. Wonder what you guys think injectors, 4" exhaust??? The previous owner told me that it has an 80hp fuel plate and also has guages. I have a small camp trailer that I will pull from time to time. and will be mostly using the truck as a daily driver. It also has a new clutch as of last week and just turned 100k on the odo. any suggestions guys? Also has a drop-in K&N filter.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:59 PM

I don't know a whole lot about the 12 valve, but a good first step would be taking the K&N out and getting a regular paper one or a drop in AFE. To make a long story short, K&N filters are a terrible filter for the Cummins and I am sure just about everyone will agree with me.One of the 12 valve guys will chime in and give you advice on the exhaust, injectors ect...
Old 02-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Banned

welcome aboard wtmtnterror.........

get the pipes, a BHAF, time it right, adjust the plate a little at a time, play with the AFC components, give the turbo a little more room to breathe, and if it's just a stock clutch....maybe an upgrade there too. Once the bug hits you, I promise a stock clutch just won't do!! If you have a spouse to contend with, pretend to smoke it while pulling the camper and convince her you need the big boy clutch!!

I fall into the break it and replace it with better parts category as well with my wife. She'll catch on eventually though. She won't drive it now as it is in fear of something breaking, or wrapping it around a light pole
Old 02-21-2005, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the tips Got Diesel, yeah I've been doing some searching and reading, gonna bomb the $#%& out of it If I can convince my wife how it needs it. Man I love that cummings! Just ordered a bhaf from carquest downloaded the template, should I make the heat shield out of 14 ga? also someone told me to grind my stock plate to a 100#? does anyone have a pic of what this should look like? also not sure about the timing thing, is that something that I can do myself? I am looking to get pipes first thing and cut out the kitty. This is a great site, lots of knowledge here
Old 02-22-2005, 12:52 PM

new bomber

wtmtnterror,
If you get the chance get the Outerwears cover for your filter. It helps you keep the big dirt from entering your filter.[$30]
put in 3,000 gov springs & afc kit---biggest bag for your buck
check where the fuel plate was purchased--if it was tst--they will trade yours in on a bigger one for &50.
if you make a bhaf plate do it out of thin material for a trial fit before the final product is made.
a note on the exhaust-decide if you are staying with the stock turbo. If you go bigger as I did, you need the 4" downpipe & your exhaust might be a foot short on the second pipe. This is important when your exhaust is stainless as mine is.
You can do a search on the fuel plate options. the 10 looks like a pacman, the 100 looks like a backwards J . I will be testing them in my truck this year.
Change the trans & rear fluids, think about the deeper pans at that time.
check your shocks for wear & leaks.
This should do for a start!!
Sit down & think before you do any changes so you don't have to do them again.
Bombs Away
Wayne
Old 02-22-2005, 01:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wtmtnterror
Man I love that cummings! ]

IT IS CUMMINS!! not cummings.

welcome you'll love the truck!