Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

new to the board with a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:new to the board with a few questions.

Thanks, I wen't to the Edge site and looked at the installation insturctions. If I plug it in like an EZ do I still need to have a 12v power wire? Or does it work like an EZ without the power wire? I'm still wondering how it hooks up on the pump. Is it another harness that you plug into, or a wire that you must tee into? Is this why you void the warranty? Also, I was reading on a previous post that with an auto it is hard to replace the boost elbow. I looked at mine and I think I will have to dirll/tap a hole like one guy said. Do I really need to use the boost elbow or should I, and just drill/tap the hole? One more thing is there anything else I will need to do the install? Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I know as much as I can before ordering. Thanks Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 09:57 AM

[quote author=Chris_O link=board=7;threadid=19412;start=15#msg183011 date=1063203408]
Thanks, I wen't to the Edge site and looked at the installation insturctions. If I plug it in like an EZ do I still need to have a 12v power wire? Or does it work like an EZ without the power wire? I'm still wondering how it hooks up on the pump. Is it another harness that you plug into, or a wire that you must tee into? Is this why you void the warranty? Also, I was reading on a previous post that with an auto it is hard to replace the boost elbow. I looked at mine and I think I will have to dirll/tap a hole like one guy said. Do I really need to use the boost elbow or should I, and just drill/tap the hole? One more thing is there anything else I will need to do the install? Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I know as much as I can before ordering. Thanks Chris
[/quote]

You still need the 12v to make the comp work. The comp hooks to the pump tapping one of the wires with a scotch lock or the bluechip pump cover or the TST power grabber all do the same thing in a different way. You may or may not need the boost elbow Im not sure of this I know it comes with the EZ as well. I changed out my turbo on the 02 before needing to mod the elbow so others may chime in I think you will have to use the turn buckle do a search it will reveal what it is. So my advice on the elbow is leave it alone and do the turn buckle or the turbomaster which is also found on the site. That is how you disable the waste on your truck.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:09 AM

Another thing to note on the "Ez or Comp" choice. You mention that your transmission cannot handle the comp and you don't want to have to spend the money upgrading or repairing a transmission right now.

First: As Jamie mentioned you can run the comp on EZ mode

Second: Lets face it, you will eventually have transmission work done on your stock transmission even if you don't do ANY performance mods. WHEN you do have that trans rebuild you could build it up right and really enjoy the fact that you bought the comp.

James
Old 09-10-2003, 12:33 PM
LE

I was able to run the Comp fully hooked up including the pump wire to a stock trans with NO problems. I would not tow heavy on more than level 2 (which is the same as an EZ). You need to understand that you have the "control" with any box. It will not force you to mash the throttle every time (at least after the honeymoon period is over), which gives you the ultimate say. But, to purchase an EZand then go back and buy a Comp may be redundant and therefore expensive. The other option is to get an EZ now, and then go with a SC Dieseltuner which loads into the ECM and run them together. The SC Dieseltuner runs around $300.00, and is capable of clearing any error codes which may be thrown. Pretty flexible unit, and well worth the money in my opinion. BTW, there are those who have said stacking these chips creates a problem with a miss in the engine @high RPMs. I have NOT hadthis problem, nor have the other couple of guys we have stacked up. Good luck in your decision ............................. LE
Old 09-10-2003, 07:27 PM

Saw an Edge Ez on ebay for $390.00 today
Old 09-11-2003, 09:36 AM

I found the turbomaster but no the turn buckle. So could someone explain to me what it is and where to get it? Thanks again. Chris
Old 09-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Banned

wait for the new cr chip 150 hp 400 ft lbs
Old 09-11-2003, 12:23 PM

Chris the turnbuckle is easy. Find it on this site http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/Auto-Elbow-Install.html thats how its done on the auto turbo see the piece available at the hardware store that holds the wategate closed? Thats the turnbuckle.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:00 AM

Thanks for all the help. I think you have talked me into the Comp. ;D
Old 09-12-2003, 09:01 AM

Good Choice Chris you won't regret it the power is awesome! And when the day comes you need more or want more is just 1 wire away waiting for you wanting to be hooked up you can't control it hook it up ! ;D ;D ;D