Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

new blue chip abp box...yes or no..

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new blue chip abp box...yes or no..

i'm going to order the new blue chip box that selects from 0-135HP...i'm pretty sure you have to splice into the pump wire though, my truck is stock and i don't intend to race around or dial it all the way up...i'm getting gauges shortly (backwards..i know) Should i be leary with the pump wire or not? what can happen (normal driver remember)
Old 03-29-2003, 05:43 PM
Banned

Re:new blue chip abp box...yes or no..

Worst case scenario, your injection pump dies. If you can, I'd leave the pump wire unhooked until you get gauges and check your fp. Also, you could/will blow your TC/clutch if you run it above the 65 or so HP setting.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:41 PM

good chance of pump failure??? i'm not gonna set it high....(old lady will kill me $$$)
Old 03-29-2003, 08:00 PM

unfortunately BB is right. the early 24v pumps tend to die when the pump wire is plugged in (they can even die in stock form not directly resulting from a bad lift pump like some of the other failures are related to). you never know until you try. what transmission are you running? you can get away with a manual easier than over an auto with the higher power. if you drive them both right and keep the revs above 2000, you should be all set for a while. (i've been driving easy, but just got a shudder today while towing light). remember, it's the low-end torque that causes the stock componants to slip. <br><br>might i add that a friend of mine runs a comp box with a stock clutch (which he can slip), but it's still going strong (5 speed) becasue he drives it right.<br><br>Tom
Old 03-29-2003, 10:46 PM

The autos can't handle as much stock as the manuals can stock. <br><br>Looks like a good box, let us know what you think of it.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of years ago I used to think that fueling boxes created VP44 failures. I posted my beliefs on the TDR and one of the replies was from Mark Chaple of TST. The stats he posted showed that the percentage of VP44 failures were no greater using a fueling box vs. stock.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:17 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Bart Timothy link=board=7;threadid=12895;start=0#122023 date=1048999656]<br>The stats he posted showed that the percentage of VP44 failures were no greater using a fueling box vs. stock.<br>[/quote]<br><br>And this is a point that Mark Chapple, Chip at Blue Chip and a few others have tried to make over the years. If your pump early fails 'due to the injection pump wire being hooked up', it most likely would have been a candidate for early failure anyway. Maybe not quite as early as it would have without the box, but earlier than a normal VP44 failure.<br><br>Rod
Old 03-30-2003, 04:21 AM

The deal with VP44 failures from fueling boxes is the duty cycle on the solenoid. If you raise the duty cycle to much and run it that way for too long, the windings on the solenoid got hot because they can not dissipate the heat and the wire insulation melts...then you get a short in the windings...it is all down hill from there!

This is why you don't tow with a fueling box turned on, and set on the high levels.

it is an electrical failure...not a mechanical one.

The VP44 is good for over 21000 PSI discharge pressure!

Does any one know what the line pressure is when you run a Drag COMP with stock injectors? Prolly not 21000 PSI...
Old 03-30-2003, 09:11 AM

my trans is stock and i understand the low-end torque tearing up the trans...i'm not looking for an off the line boost, i'm looking for the 30-60 mph zone to happen a bit faster, my towing is occasional, a 6000lb load ( old cuda and open trailer, no big hills)...i've replaced the lp (cummins direct=$185.00) to keep up on the vp-44 pump lubrication..Anyway, what do you suggest to replace the vp-44 with once it dies? ( being somewhat practical...yeah right!)
the box will be in by saturday...i'll be sure and post..thanks
Old 03-30-2003, 03:15 PM

Barracuda, I push the trans all the time it is a great auto has taken 1000 lbs/torque and still working great. But it is not stock. I really like the power of the Blue Chip FMS. <br><br>Diesel Freak I will be running the new box this week I can tell you that is based on 3rd generation software and hardware. Lots of race proven testing. <br><br> OverFueled<br>
Old 03-31-2003, 10:34 AM
Banned

The only thing to replace a VP44 with is another VP44. That is unless you want to spend the money and upgrade to a P-Pump (very $$$$$$). An EZ would work well for what your talking about. Do you have the gauges in yet? You should really get them before the box. Boost, EGT, Tranny/Fuel Pressure.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barracuda,<br>The new Blue Chip box contains the same software and board as the FMS, IMHO the best currently available. I don't recommend tapping the pump wire, no need too as Chip sells a pump cover that bolts on to the pump with threaded terminals to mount the fueling boxes wires viola, no nicks in the pump wire. This cover works great if you take a couple of minutes to follow the instructions.<br><br>The VP44's fail for various reasons, mechanical and different electrical problems. I agree that there is no clear evidence that a fueling box shortens the life, however, if you have a faulty lift pump (fuel system), any fueling enhancement would further rob the VP44 of needed lubrication. Larry
Old 04-01-2003, 01:25 AM

A shop up here in the northwest did a survey of failed pumps a few years ago. More failed ones were non-modified than modified by piercing the wire. They sent their info around, but seems nobody really cared.<br><br>If you search their website or email them, you might find more info.<br><br>The Powershop
Old 04-01-2003, 05:49 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Ramflasher, I saw the artcle you're refering to.<br><br>The main problem is that Dodge doesn't care about the facts.<br>If you modify, (pierce the wire) your warranty is toast.<br>And up to a point I can't say that I blame them.<br><br>I Am My Own Warranty Station<br><br>Here's a link to the article<br>Why Pumps Fail by Blue Chip Diesel