Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Airtex lift pump rocks!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Airtex lift pump rocks!!!!!!

Thanks to SFrey (Oil-Burner on DTR) and a trip to my local machinist, I had a couple adapters made, and installed a new Airtex E7153 lift pump. It has been in my truck since Friday (Nov. 16th) and here are some preliminary numbers.

Idle, 19-20 psi
80MPH steady state cruise empty, 16-17 psi
hard pull making 32 #'s of boost, 13-14 psi
wot empty, 11-12 psi

I am very pleased. The wait was well worth it and the cost is right on with my needs for my truck.

Out of curiosity and for those wanting flow numbers, I have an appointment with my local Dodge dealer to have the new pump flow tested per the latest TSB prior to the intank retrofit, i.e., x number of ounces in x number of seconds and will post when I have that data.

In the information column, my fuel lines are all 1/2" i.d., fuel tank to filter housing, filter housing to injection pump. My fuel pressure sensor is mounted at the injection pump inlet and my gauge is digital, one of the constant real time parameters monitored by the Edge Juice with A2 controller/monitor, with resolution down to .10 second monitoring.

For those wondering about my power output, here's some fyi.
The Juice is installed sans the pump wire tap, works like an EZ. Using the broad general HP rule of thumb estimate; 1 pound of boost equals approximately 11 HP, 32#'s boost times 11 equals approximately 352 BHP.

Now the engine does not stumble, surge or lay down, power is seamless, strong and hauls donkey. BOOOOO YAAH

Maverick

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...nd-carter.html

Last edited by Totallyrad; 01-01-2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: S/L
Old 12-19-2007, 09:26 AM

These guys are supposedly close to rolling out a relocation kit for the Airtex:
http://www.valuediesel.com/servlet/StoreFront

...the site is temporarily closed, but they say when the kit is ready, the site will reopen.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if that email address on valuediesel website is correct that is the Vulcan email addy, interesting
Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 AM

The barb coming off the bottom of that pump looks pretty small.

I have the big line kit -but my carter is in the OEM position. Looks like the Deutch plug will plug right into the ECM harness - but what about the fuel lines? I think I'm 1/2 on the IP side - and 3/8 on the tank side. What does it take to get this hooked up - and what kind of PSI are you seeing ahead of your IP ?
Old 12-19-2007, 12:53 PM

Has there ever been a gearotor-type pump that has been a problem on CTDs?

Is there anything about the physics of gearotors that would make them immune to the harmonics and heat of the engine compartment oem mounting?

Purdy cheap alternative (vs the other gearotors) to just put one in place of the oem if it'll survive there.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:17 PM

Does anyone know where a person can get some adapter fittings for this pump? Would like to go barbed - 1/2" and 3/8".
Old 12-20-2007, 09:24 AM

I saw one of these at the parts store last weekend. It's a new design for Airtex. Some of the same part number will be the old Carter pumps. Do you think the fuel line from a big line kit would slip over the one end? How restrictive would the banjo bolt side be?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by nkennedy
I saw one of these at the parts store last weekend. It's a new design for Airtex. Some of the same part number will be the old Carter pumps. Do you think the fuel line from a big line kit would slip over the one end? How restrictive would the banjo bolt side be?

Yeah it'll slip over one end but I doubt you could get it tight enough with a hose clamp and the banjo should be about as restrictive as stock. I sure Eric would hurry up and get us something because I refuse to by another Carter and currently don't have a spare that will hook up.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:37 AM

Very little mechanical problem with geared pumps attached to the filter housing - but the same pumping problems still exist, due to that location -

- a vane-type pump has several rectangular vanes sliding in machined slots in the rotor - that tremendous shudder when you shut the engine down can sling the vanes in\out of the slots erratically and uncontrollably, damaging the vanes

- also the rotor is coupled to the motor shaft with a nylon shock-absorbing coupler - this can crack and fail due to the inertial effects of that shudder on the mass of the rotor\vanes

A geared-type pump is usually unaffected by vibration because the gears are precision meshed in the machined housing, incapable of any but rotational movement - the shutdown shudder cannot hurl them around in the housing.

However, either type pump is affected by dirt\contaminates in the fuel: if the internal sand-blocker screen filter becomes plugged, the pump don't pump - doesn't matter whether it's a diaphragm or gerotor or gear-type pump - an external 20-10micron prefilter\water-serarator with replaceable element is usually recommeded by the oem to prevent that type failure

Both type pumps will cavitate with increased inlet restriction - make sure the inlet connecton - hose barbs, compression fittings, etc - is not smaller than the internal passage to the pump, which may be seen by looking into the inlet

Both type pumps will cause fuel foaming\aeration if dead-headed - a bypass-type regulator should be installed to return any excess volume over engine demand to the tank - 'nuther words, the engine requires a lot less of that 150gph at idle or 30mph than it does at 5000rpm WOT - put excess fuel back in the tank to prevent foaming

Both gear and vane types are intended for sumberged or 'wet' service, not noted for their ability to draw fuel from a remote reservoir = low vacuum capability - mounted near the tank at below tank level is where basic siphon effect out of the tank will ensure the pumping chamber is filled with fuel - mounted on the filter, higher than the tank, will ensure the siphon effect back into the tank will drain the pumping chamber: not even good.

Those plastic push-on fuel line connectors are pressure-type o-rings - they quckly fail if vacuum increases due to any restriction - better to reduce vacuum by placing the pump near the tank.

While the vane-type vacuum pump on your truck will pump down to ~25"HG, the internal displacement is much larger than that of the fuel pump, and it is pumping relatively low-density air, not higher density Diesel fuel from a tank at lower level than the pump.

So, imo - relocation is best, near the tank and at lower level to promote out of tank siphon-effect to keep the pumping chamber full , with a replaceable pre-filter - re-engineer a pusher-type system
Old 12-20-2007, 12:34 PM

I just talked to Eric and he said that he plans on having the adapters next week and should be available through vulcanperformance website. He also said that he will be selling the Airtex pumps through valuediesel website at an unbelievable price. So maybe week after next I can get mine hooked up and use the Carter for target practice.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:45 PM

Might be good idea take it apart, do some failure pics for show'n'tell
Old 12-20-2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by gmctd
Might be good idea take it apart, do some failure pics for show'n'tell
Which one, Airtex or Carter. I've had too many Carters fail and took it my last one apart but didn't really know what I was looking for. Hopefully the Airtex won't lay down on me.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:02 PM

Pop the top off the Carter, see how the vanes look, surfaces in the cavity - take a look at the screen, see if it's plugged - pull the rotor, see if the nylon coupling is damaged - note if the electrical connector is oxidized\corroded, charred pins - etc - did you see any of that on the previous expired pumps?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:30 PM

How do you get to the motor part? I pulled out the top part that holds the vanes and that was as far as I could go. My screen wasn't clogged so I guess my problem was the motor.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 PM

You can test the motor by connecting it to +12v - otherwise, you'll need to cut the housing apart with a hacksaw\equiv - saw a slot around the circumference so the pump-end can be removed from the motor

Quick Reply: New Airtex lift pump rocks!!!!!!