Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New aftermarket Tranny? DTT vs ATS for my 93

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:New aftermarket Tranny? DTT vs ATS for my 93

The 4 big aftermarket builders all have excellent products. You should make some phone calls and ask some *VERY* pointed questions about what they have for your specific application. What are you most likely to do with your truck? Tow? Race? Also, let them know how much HP you have, and are going to have, so each vendor can give you answers that fit your situation.<br><br>I have an ATS tranny, and I tow *EXTREMELY* heavy loads (45,000# once) and also race, and have never had any problems with my tranny. <br><br>It's obvious that 99% of the people who have a transmission from any vendor are extremely happy with their choice. Do what's right for you...and thanks to everyone for keeping this thread civil. 8)<br><br>HTH<br>-joel
Old 05-08-2003, 07:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just went through this. I went with ATS due to what I have heard from ATS owners, however, I don't think you could do bad going with DTT.<br>Why I went with ATS:<br>Even though DTT's package, with TC would have been cheaper than ATS (ATS does not include the Hytec pan with their tranny like DTT), their TC has more surface area for the lockup, regardless of the triple disk.<br>The 3 year unlimited mileage warranty (just learned form this thread that Suncoast has that also).<br>The way I have heard it from several people who have had a DTT tranny or rode in a truck with one, the shifts were too hard. Now I also understand that shift hardness is adjustable and you can tell DTT what you want when you order it, so I don't know how much merit this reason has.<br>And the customer service. I have heard some horror stories about tranny problems and poor third party techs, but ATS stood behind their product, and even the third party tech who messed up, to the point of shipping out a new one immediately upon hearing about the problems. THAT impressed me. ;D<br><br>I have another reason, that I have heard from more than one source, but it wouldn't be nice to post here. :-X<br><br>So, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Like everyone else said, talk to the companies and drive the trucks equipped with whichever trannies, and decide which one you feel better about.<br><br>Oh yeah, TRANNY WAR!!!! <br><br>Chris
Old 05-08-2003, 10:04 PM

<br>The 3 year unlimited mileage warranty (just learned form this thread that Suncoast has that also).<br>Stamey<br>When I talked to Don at ATS I thought He stated that it is a three year 100,000 mile warranty did they change it?<br>
Old 05-09-2003, 04:42 PM

[quote author=Stamey link=board=7;threadid=14367;start=15#136348 date=1052441082]<br>And the customer service. I have heard some horror stories about tranny problems and poor third party techs, but ATS stood behind their product, and even the third party tech who messed up, to the point of shipping out a new one immediately upon hearing about the problems. THAT impressed me. ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Here's what Bill (DTT) did to my trans:<br>I bought a converter and VB from DTT, and had his installer in L.A. put it in. They were morons and crooks, and it only took 4 trans jobs for Bill to figure it out.<br><br>I was in the Pacific Northwest on vacation, so I took a drive from Seattle to BC to see Bill. He pulled the trans, rebuilt it, gave me a new TC and VB, let me sleep on their couch, fed me and his son, Stephan and his girlfriend (Crystal?) took me to see Fast and the Furious.<br><br>Other than having to sit through that dog of a film, it was a great couple of days. <br><br>Seriously, I had no idea there was that kind of customer support out there. In a perfect world, there would have been a different installer, but at least they figured it out fast and fixed the problem.<br><br>Tackett
Old 05-10-2003, 04:34 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Well since I just bought the stuff from DTT and installed it myself I must blame any installer error on myself ;D <br> ;D I'd suggest that you go DTT and never talk to anyone having any bit of purple on their trucks any more ;D Oh YEA- TRANNY WAR ;D<br>One thing to be considered with any tranny vendor is that you must be really honest about what you intend to do BOMB wise and listen to the advice given. If you buy a tranny for 300hp and it breaks at 500hp do not blame the tranny or the vendor. <br>Regarding shift quality: Bill asked me, you could say interviewed me at length, how I would want to have my shifts- then he sold me the VB. I think he understood me <br>The main reasons for me not going ATS were that the ATS dealer I talked to then (who left the impression of being very knowledgeable) had no experience in exporting the stuff to Europe, and the truely excellent phone support I have had from DTT when my stock tranny had problems. <br>So now I drive a DTT tranny and I am content with it. <br>After all the tranny wars I would have liked to have some trucks, bombed like mad, equipped with the trannies from each vendor. (Donations are welcome ;D ) <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 05-10-2003, 10:36 PM

Thank you all for your input. After a lot of thinking [undecided]I ordered the ATS w/Tipple lock. ;Anyway I'm doing the conversion, so time to get the shop cleaned up. :'( <br><br> ramguy<br><br>SOON THE BOMBING WILL BEGIN ;D ;D
Old 05-11-2003, 12:17 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

ramguy: Could you take lots of pics and write an article about your install?<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 05-11-2003, 06:18 AM

AlpinrRAM;<br>I'd spoke with Clint at ATS and he was suggesting the same, so Yes, I'll be glad to. ;D Now I just need to talk my better 1/2 into helping me with the clairical end oh this subject. Thanks again for everyones input. <br> <br> ramguy
Old 05-11-2003, 07:43 AM

I am not &quot;dissing&quot; ATS, i think that they have a great product, but i've always had a question: why shift locked? locked shifts that are &quot;firm, but smooth&quot; are bad for a transmission. there's a good amount of slippage if the shifts aren't neck-snapping hard. it has to do with shift overlap, that's why shift kits help the transmissions to live longer.<br><br>i have personally decided to go with DTT, but a DTT triple disk with stock lock-up programming would be great.<br><br>Tom
Old 05-11-2003, 08:37 AM

When talking to Don from ATS he informed me that allison auto's and also ford trannys shift with the converter locked and they have done so for years and have not had any problems also I think you have to add their controller for it to do it I may be wrong but that is the way I understood him.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote author=cumminsgetsome link=board=7;threadid=14367;start=15#136395 date=1052449446]<br>The 3 year unlimited mileage warranty (just learned form this thread that Suncoast has that also).<br>Stamey<br>When I talked to Don at ATS I thought He stated that it is a three year 100,000 mile warranty did they change it?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Sorry, my mistake, The ATS warranty is 3 years/100K. Sorry for misstating that.<br><br>Chris
Old 05-11-2003, 08:26 PM

Could someone post the web links and/or phone #'s for DTT &amp; ATS and any other good shops they know of?<br><br>Thanks
Old 05-11-2003, 08:49 PM

Ramguy-<br><br>Just curious but how are you going to use a locking TC in your 93 with a non lockup tranny? <br><br>Jay
Old 05-11-2003, 08:50 PM

click on the links tab at the top of the page and you find all th websites listed under transmission's
Old 05-12-2003, 09:34 PM

jbolt;<br>Clint at ATS said this setup comes with an ECM controler which includes interior controls to fine tune, to your preference and driving conditions ;D ;D<br> <br> ramguy

Quick Reply: New aftermarket Tranny? DTT vs ATS for my 93