Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

nerf bars/steps

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nerf bars/steps

Anyone know of a good, solid nerf bar or step that is frame-mounted but won't cost me a small fortune? Wheel-to-wheel. We put WAAGs on my wife's pickup, and really like them but that was a VERY pretty penny. My truck is a work truck so nothing fancy.
Thanks!
Dave
Old 02-07-2005, 07:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't think I've ever seen frame mounted. My Westins kind of mount to the frame. They go through the same bolt that the cab mounts to the frame on, at both ends. But I guess that's not what you are looking for.

Chris
Old 02-07-2005, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Stamey
Don't think I've ever seen frame mounted. My Westins kind of mount to the frame. They go through the same bolt that the cab mounts to the frame on, at both ends. But I guess that's not what you are looking for.

Chris
Same here, don't remember seeing frame mounted ones. I have the Westin wheel to wheel and really like them.

~Rob
Old 02-07-2005, 08:35 PM

Hey Dave..i was in the same situation as you this summer...believe it or not they are NOT frame mounted...and WAAG's always cost a pretty penny (i got the black bushguard)...i believe in mounting it to the frame as well so i went to a big truck wreckers.....when they hack off their fuel tanks they have hundreds of these steps....stainless steel most of the time and you'll just have to get creative with the mounting brackets to get in on the frame thats no biggie took me a saturday afternoon to get all that done wheel to wheel...if ur lucky you might even find ones with lil brushes to wipe ur shoes off on a muddy day....they wont care for those at the wreckers...buy them a pizza and they'll let u grab a couple pairs thats what i did

good luck

Andrew
Old 02-07-2005, 08:41 PM

mr T - great tip...especially for the work trucks out there...just need access to a tig welder.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by mr T
Hey Dave..i was in the same situation as you this summer...believe it or not they are NOT frame mounted...and WAAG's always cost a pretty penny (i got the black bushguard)...i believe in mounting it to the frame as well so i went to a big truck wreckers.....when they hack off their fuel tanks they have hundreds of these steps....stainless steel most of the time and you'll just have to get creative with the mounting brackets to get in on the frame thats no biggie took me a saturday afternoon to get all that done wheel to wheel...if ur lucky you might even find ones with lil brushes to wipe ur shoes off on a muddy day....they wont care for those at the wreckers...buy them a pizza and they'll let u grab a couple pairs thats what i did

good luck

Andrew
Andrew,
Believe it or not, my wife's WAAGs are mounted to the frame. The mounting system is kind like the ones you describe above for the fuel tanks. Some heavy-duty angle-iron is used to extend the bars out away from the frame and body. There is a little more flex than you might expect when you put weight on them, but they are solid. But they were pricey. My truck doesn't need something so fancy.

That's a good idea above, as well. Unfortunately, my work schedule leaves little time for me to spend on my truck. Come summer, the job should change so that will help, but right now, my wife is getting tired of the climb into the truck. I may just have to go with Westins or something similar, that mounts to the body...

Thanks for the input guys!
Dave
Old 02-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smittybuilt makes frame mounted nerf bars for some applications........I have drilled many frames to mount them! (PITA!!)..........they use 3/8" self tapping screw/bolts that can sometimes be difficult to install but they hold well and are easier than nut/bolt hardware when you can't get at the other side of the frame.......
Old 02-08-2005, 12:45 PM

Thanks CTD NUT! I'll look at those, too.
Dave
Old 02-08-2005, 01:12 PM

I had a set of Dee-Zee's on my 97 that were universal. They were frame mounted. A flange with 4 bolts was on each end of the tube.

~Rob
Old 02-08-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are just looking for a solid feel, check out the Westins. I can't feel any flex in mine, and I'm over 200 lbs.

Chris