Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need a turbo, thinking of an Aurora 3k or 4k

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I really appreaciate everyones input, Im horribly indecisive when it comes to these things... First I wanted an Aurora 3k, then a Super B, then was set on an Aurora 4k, changed my mind, now I think I have finally decided to order the HTT 62/14 HTB2, seems like I hear nothing but good about HTT, and their products, plus I like the option of upgradability. Its about $500 more than the super b with no downpipe, but I already have a downpipe, so hopefully I dont change my mind again.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SO5.9
Super B Specials arent worth a flip in my opinion. Super B is a good daily turbo, lights and spools nice and quick but the Special is too big and LIGHTS slower than christmas. Absolutely sucks to daily drive one and no one can argue that fact, smokey is an understatement with sticks big enough to light it reasonably quick and doesnt really spool til 1800 rpm. I personally wouldnt advise anybody to get one unless its a weekend warrior or they have sledpulling class limits. The best advice I can give, drive one with a special on it before buying that turbo.
I spool the Special at 1400 rpms. I tow 18k# with it & egts stay below 1300* max, but mostly below 1100 max unless somebody stops me on a steep grade. It builds 58psi boost, although I've seen spikes to 62psi boost already. I can drive my truck smoke free with my box on lower levels.

I have run 62/65/12, 62/65/14, 64/65/12, 62/65/14, 62/71/14 & now the 64/71/14. All with different injector combos & different box combos towing heavy through mountain terrain. I like to think that my feedback is worth something & I'm only trying to help. Just my $.02
Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 PM

Any thoughts about a Phat Shaft? I dont have one but have a few friends that have dif PS's and they have me pretty set on one.
My truck is a daily driver as well, and I tow between 4 and 14k lbs weekly depending on the work schedule.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgenIt
Any thoughts about a Phat Shaft? I dont have one but have a few friends that have dif PS's and they have me pretty set on one.
My truck is a daily driver as well, and I tow between 4 and 14k lbs weekly depending on the work schedule.
The reason I prefer the 71 series turbos is because

1. they flow more air which results in cooler egts.

2. Although they spool slightly slower than a 65 series initially, they build boost way faster from 10psi to full boost. Which is what you need when trying to get a trailer moving up a hill.

At one point, I tried towing 14k# running a 64/65/14 with 200hp injectors & edge comp/Smarty stack. I had the timing advanced to cool egts, but had the fueling cut back to control smoke. I had to pull up a hill that went on for miles from a dead stop out on route 68 heading into W.V.. The turbo lit, but it built boost so slow from 10-full boost that my egts climbed faster than I could control them. By the time the turbo fully spooled, I saw 1800* on the pyro. By that time, it was too late for the turbo to catch up & I had to downshift to 3rd gear. With a 71 turbine, it spools so fast, I "beat the heat" by flowing more air & it hits full boost before my egts go over 1250*. I get rpms up to 2100 & hold them there, then watch my egts drop. I'm just trying to help you guys, take it for what its worth.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 PM

Talking

Hey J Lent I totally appreciate it, Ill take all the info I can get before I finally make my purchase. Im just worried that, although the 71 would be great on the highway and long stretches and big hills, That it will spool to slow and put out too much smoke in the around town stop and go kind of towing I do. Also I plow snow in the winter and that doesnt take much power/boost to move it, so Ill need a turbo that will get me movin right away.
Thanks for the info though.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgenIt
Hey J Lent I totally appreciate it, Ill take all the info I can get before I finally make my purchase. Im just worried that, although the 71 would be great on the highway and long stretches and big hills, That it will spool to slow and put out too much smoke in the around town stop and go kind of towing I do. Also I plow snow in the winter and that doesnt take much power/boost to move it, so Ill need a turbo that will get me movin right away.
Thanks for the info though.
No problem. Just trying to help. Just FYI, I tow through Morgantown & my truck has seen its share of snow plowing.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 PM

I'm a bit confused. I am under the impression from reading these posts that too big of a turbo will hinder towing a big load. What's the scoop? Thanks guys.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gannetpeak1
I'm a bit confused. I am under the impression from reading these posts that too big of a turbo will hinder towing a big load. What's the scoop? Thanks guys.
It depends on gearing etc. My truck is a 5 speed with 4.10's.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gannetpeak1
A big turbo just makes it hard to control everything while towing a big load. If you give it enough pedal to accelerate, you're gonna be rolling SERIOUS coal and once it spools you're gonna be accelerating way too fast. Not really an in between with a big turbo. If you just want ungodly top end and smoke or, then a big single is the answer.

A BD Super B Special scenario:
Towing a 10k load of cattle.... Lower gears arent much of a problem, just smokey. Around third gear EGT's will be soaring around 1400* up until you start to build boost. Turbo lights, a nasty fast spool comes on around 1700 rpm and no matter how much you try to control it....you throw the cattle down....unless you dont let it spool then you're stuck with 1400* and a ton of smoke. Just go with twins. That is the only answer unless you want to stay mild enough to run a small single. Basically a big single moves your rpm range way up. IMHO, not what the ISB was built for. Ive seen people who just love to run full throttle all the time when towing a load. Not me. Its the part throttle towing part of things that make it unmanageable. This was the case with the Super B special, Edge Comp, 180 sticks, and a smarty.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Banned

A big turbo just makes it hard to control everything while towing a big load. If you give it enough pedal to accelerate, you're gonna be rolling SERIOUS coal and once it spools you're gonna be accelerating way too fast. Not really an in between with a big turbo. If you just want ungodly top end and smoke or, then a big single is the answer.

A BD Super B Special scenario:
Towing a 10k load of cattle.... Lower gears arent much of a problem, just smokey. Around third gear EGT's will be soaring around 1400* up until you start to build boost. Turbo lights, a nasty fast spool comes on around 1700 rpm and no matter how much you try to control it....you throw the cattle down....unless you dont let it spool then you're stuck with 1400* and a ton of smoke. Just go with twins. That is the only answer unless you want to stay mild enough to run a small single. Basically a big single moves your rpm range way up. IMHO, not what the ISB was built for. Ive seen people who just love to run full throttle all the time when towing a load. Not me. Its the part throttle towing part of things that make it unmanageable. This was the case with the Super B special, Edge Comp, 180 sticks, and a smarty.
Maybe its your gearing, but I have completely different results. My truck drives like a stock turbo truck. I do have a 3rd gen exhaust housing with 2nd gen compressor housing, but it can't be that different. I'd say that your edge box may be the culprit because it hits hard around 1700rpm.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by J Lent
Maybe its your gearing, but I have completely different results. My truck drives like a stock turbo truck. I do have a 3rd gen exhaust housing with 2nd gen compressor housing, but it can't be that different. I'd say that your edge box may be the culprit because it hits hard around 1700rpm.
I would have to agree that gearing probably makes a huge difference. I just saw where you have 4.10's and can see where that would keep the rpm's in a much more agreeable spot for towing. 3.55's are a bear though.... The Special is a stout turbo and SOTP acceleration is way impressive but I just dont want anyone to buy one specifically for towing huge loads and not have an idea of what it could be like.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:32 AM

wow

The A3000 is a 57/64 and the a4000 is a 63/70 and neither are wastegated.

I'm reading their catalog, looks like they have a kit that puts the stock turbo over the a4000 for an average power of 428hp/ 895ft/lbs hp!
I think the stock turbo could do that by itself
Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
The A3000 is a 57/64 and the a4000 is a 63/70 and neither are wastegated.

I'm reading their catalog, looks like they have a kit that puts the stock turbo over the a4000 for an average power of 428hp/ 895ft/lbs hp!
I think the stock turbo could do that by itself
I did 476/936 with 125hp injectors, edge comp/Superchips stack, 62/65/12 on Dunbars dynojet.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Banned

I would have to agree that gearing probably makes a huge difference. I just saw where you have 4.10's and can see where that would keep the rpm's in a much more agreeable spot for towing. 3.55's are a bear though.... The Special is a stout turbo and SOTP acceleration is way impressive but I just dont want anyone to buy one specifically for towing huge loads and not have an idea of what it could be like.
I understand. I don't want to steer anyone wrong either. That is why I post in these threads. Nobody helped me in the beginning & I ordered a 64/65/14 thinking it would tow. I went through alot of different combos before finding the right one for my application.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 AM
DTR Advertiser

Super B Specials arent worth a flip in my opinion. Super B is a good daily turbo, lights and spools nice and quick but the Special is too big and LIGHTS slower than christmas. Absolutely sucks to daily drive one and no one can argue that fact, smokey is an understatement with sticks big enough to light it reasonably quick and doesnt really spool til 1800 rpm. I personally wouldnt advise anybody to get one unless its a weekend warrior or they have sledpulling class limits. The best advice I can give, drive one with a special on it before buying that turbo.

The Super B Special was never designed to be a daily use turbocharger. Some have managed to make it work and like it. Some don't. It was really designed to be used more as your "weekend warrior" type turbo. It does not tow very well because of the lag.

Quick Reply: Need a turbo, thinking of an Aurora 3k or 4k