Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need a subwoofer but which kind and where ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a subwoofer but which kind and where ?

Ok, I would like to have a small subwoofer in my truck, I am looking to blast my widows off or eject the passenger off the seat.
I have a standard Sony CD/MP3/Bluetooth deck, standard 6x9 in doors, tweeters on pillars but I need a,little more BOOM, BOOM.

What's on the market that will not break the bank and has to comply with this:

-It cannot be under driver or pass seats since I have fire extinguishers and tools
-It cannot take the whole rear underseat compartment since I keep tools, accessories, garment, etc.

Ideally the area in the middle on front seats and middle of rear seats would be great.

Is there anything out there ?
What about the area between bottom rear seat and back of cab, looks like there's approx 4" deep space x the whole cab width.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:14 PM

i have a 10" under my rear seat (quad cab with flip up seat).
the box was a very simple custom build, built with mdf & covered in thin carpet.
the box comes right to the front of the seat (underside) and goes down to the floor about an inch or two forward of straight down (on an angle to the front of the truck). it is approx the width of the front driver seat and does not go over the transmission hump (maybe 2-3" actually).
i have one amp under each front seat.
i did not do the work myself, it was done by a mobile audio shop. the installer said it was very easy and took less time than expected.
also, the release latch on the driver side rear seat was removed to accomodate keeping the box as far left as possible, and a hole was drilled in the top of the box to allow the seat to sit flush on the box (you will see what i mean if you remove the latch). the flip up is stil operable from the passenger side (a minor pita). i don't believe the seat flips down to its original position, it's just a hair higher than normal - but if i never told anybody, they would never notice.

hope this helps

oh, the box is sealed.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:00 PM

JL Audio makes a stealthbox for the Ram that will replace the factory center console, all you use is your seat cover. Its not very comfortable, and a little pricey, but it is factory looking. It houses one JL 12" sub.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:47 PM

Options...

I've been doing quite a lot of research on this lately as I'm in the same boat.

There are a few companies selling the sub box that replaces the seat bottom of the centre section of the front seat. I remember seeing one that was wood (covered of course). http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1436

There's also a box that fits in like a rear centre console (photo below - can't remember if you've got a quad-cab).

I think I've decided to pick up an Infinity Basslink. It will either be mounted under the passenger seat (not sure if it will fit) or between the centre console and the rear seat. If it's in the back I'll make it removable for space.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Need a subwoofer but which kind and where ?-h044dtx112mt.jpg  
Old 11-19-2007, 08:50 PM

I have 2 8" Resonant Engineering RE series speakers in custom built boxes under the back seat. The boxes roughly follow the shape of the floor which allows it to have the space needed. These speakers dont need a lot of volume, about .3 cu ft in a sealed box per speaker. Mine are the older single voice coils. I have a 300/2 amp running them.

I still need to cover them with carpet but they fit flush or just slightly back of the seat and are out of the way. I have about 9-10" of room at the front of the seat and have it tapered down to 2-3" at the back. I can get more exact measurements if you're interested.

Mine are not under the middle of the rear seat. There is one on each side. You'll be hard presssed to get one under the middle of the rear seat. A single 8" will add a little more bass with out eating up a lot of space.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by North_of_55
I've been doing quite a lot of research on this lately as I'm in the same boat.

There are a few companies selling the sub box that replaces the seat bottom of the centre section of the front seat. I remember seeing one that was wood (covered of course). http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1436

There's also a box that fits in like a rear centre console (photo below - can't remember if you've got a quad-cab).

I think I've decided to pick up an Infinity Basslink. It will either be mounted under the passenger seat (not sure if it will fit) or between the centre console and the rear seat. If it's in the back I'll make it removable for space.

Good luck!
Why can't I find this thing on crutchfield? I was wondering what the price is? Do you have a link? Thank you
Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 PM

Never mind, I found it!!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZZd78sB...px?I=044CDTX34

Do you guys think that there is much of a size difference in the back between a extended cab and a quad cab? I would llike to put this in my truck!!

Trending Topics

Old 11-19-2007, 10:24 PM

Link

I'm not sure where you can buy them... but here's where I found the image:

http://www.nextag.com/dodge-ram-speaker-box/search-html
Old 11-20-2007, 04:58 AM

That's great, thanks everybody but as i said I cannot use the space under the rear seat, I have tools and accessories needed. Truck is Quad Cab as per signature below.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:36 AM

MTX, if you wanna go with two. the only thing is that you have to run their speaker with their box. (its a depth issue)
Old 11-20-2007, 07:23 AM
GFB

Originally Posted by Valv
That's great, thanks everybody but as i said I cannot use the space under the rear seat, I have tools and accessories needed. Truck is Quad Cab as per signature below.
I think the JL stealthbox is about your only option then. I have one in my truck and it sounds great. The sub needs some decent power, so don't skimp when it comes to the amp either. You will need to find a place to mount the amp. If you can't put it under any of the seats, then I'm not sure where else you could mount it.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Ive got a Pineere 10" in a home made custom box replacing the center console. It is a bandpass made out of cabinet grade 3/4" plywood. The sound is real good but I am not happy with the cloth I covered it with. Going to pull it back out and cover it with carpet. The best thing about the box is for somone to steal it you have to remove one of the front seats.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...3&ppuser=39037
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...2&ppuser=39037
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&ppuser=39037
Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 AM

JL audio makes the best subs out there in my opinion. They are a little more pricey, but WELL worth the money.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Memphis Audio makes several variations of boxes for what you are looking for and sound really well I have had two and both performed excellent. I would shy away from there amps I also had two of those and have since switched back to alpine.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
FWIW, i have a infinity basslink in my Mega, it fits perfect behind the driver side rear seat.

the sound quality is exactly what you desire, and the feet are removable for a lot of options