Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need some more POWER!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one has yet to mention the reason Mark is discouraging you from putting in a GSK is....... because you plan on mainly towing with your truck! This engine starts to set up harmonic vibrations at the higher rpm's, which eventually will knock the end of your camshaft off! Now if you're just hot rodding with no load, you'll probably never have that happen. But if your towing a trailer up a long steep grade for an extended period of time and keeping it at 3000 rpms, well..........you decide if it's worth the risk! No offense to the others here, but I think you want the same thing I did. So take Marks advice. I guarantee you'll be happy with the results!

Remember, GAUGES, GAUGES, GAUGES!
Old 03-13-2004, 04:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
"So what do you guys think? Anyone pull a 7000 lb+ trailer with a stock auto tranny and a fuel plate??? If so, what plate are you using and how long has the trans lasted?"

My camper and boat are about 7000 lb (and they call this a 3/4 ton truck?). The guys at ATS said my truck runs like a #10 plate, I don't know what's in there. My pulling power at 1700 RPM is awesome, it will chug up the long steep high altitude grades at 60 MPH in OD lockup, cruise control, and never slow down. No smoke but a lot of noise. It will go faster but traffic is an obstacle. All this power was causing the OD lockup to fail thus the recent ATS setup. It seems like if you don't do anything to the stock engine the transmission will go hundreds of thousands of miles, just like DC says. If you tweak it the trans starts failing immediately.

"Definately something to consider if it was me I would get a
1. #10 Plate $200
2. 3k gov spring kit $125"
d-
My tranny is a major concern. I told Mark @ TST I was thinking of going with the #6 plate and a 3K gov spring. He suggested NOT to install the gov spring kit and asked why I wanted it."

I have never had a need to rev beyond 2200 RPM. My fueling does not start to drop off at that RPM.

You probably won't pull well stock. With the #10 you will need a stronger trans.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:58 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back the 10 down to stock location until you do the tranny mods, definately a versatile plate. Get ahold of Jim Fulmer.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You want to know something funny...Mark and Joe Donnelly worked together to create the different plates and profiles for the different trucks(pumps)..Joe D...made the first #10 plate in his garage for his truck Sickly.
Pm or email Joe D. and ask him your questions..
No offense Jim intended.. We are on the same page when it comes to plates...Oh I cant forget Dusty and the folks @ PDR

Rick