Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

In Need of Ranchand front bumper pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Need of Ranchand front bumper pictures

I am wanting to build my own ranch hand style front bumper for my 96 cummins dually. The front bumper is beat to hect so I figured I would attempt to build a nice one for it. I would really like a few good close up pictures that I could use for reference and some of how they mount up to the frame would be great as well. Measurements would be even better so I do not have to guess. Thanks in advance and hopefully I will be able to get some pictures and measurements up when I am done. Thanks
John
Old 11-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Sorry but this is the best pic I have of mine. It's made by Tough Country.

Name:  100_2210.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  178.8 KB
Old 11-08-2010, 09:21 PM

Heres mine if I did this right, pipe is 6" diameter
Attached Thumbnails In Need of Ranchand front bumper pictures-summer-2010-001.jpg  
Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 PM

Thanks to both of you for posting pics. Mr. Bill, That is the same one that I am wanting to build. If you get some free time straight on pictures, mount pictures, and a few of the measurements would be great but if not its cool too. Thanks again guys.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you guys are going to try and steal another persons hard work by copying and posting measurements here of a product they have countless hours fabbing and designing, please think again.....I don't want that on my Forum.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:09 PM

Sorry I did not realize that it is kind of like stealing their design. I was not planning on doing the exact thing as them I just mainly wanted to see how they got it mounted up and the angles on the pipe. That is all I really wanted the measurements on. But I see what you are saying. I am sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

honda99,

I have a ranch hand and really do not like the way they mount. On mine there is not really a direct connection to the frame, as they designed it to be installed without modifying the bumper. If I were to design the mount I would cut small 'slits' in the bumper and attach it directly to the frame. The way mine is, I will have bumper damage if I hit a deer (or a prius). It will definitely take the brunt of the impact, but it will be transferred through the bumper into the frame.

I think it would be better to bypass the bumper attachment all together. JMO.

If you do a search, I remember some time back a couple of guys who posted pictures of their designs and offered them up to members. they took the best of all the different types. One of them even posted a pdf with templates for all the cuts. His was a complete bumper replacement and grill guard. But it was very well thought out and built. You might be able to use that and customize it for your purpose. And it is very likely that Lary will be completely in agreement with using his design as he offered it for others to use.

Either way, post up some pics of your completed unit, Gotta love Yankee engineering. (no offense if your from the south!!!)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by wyododge
And it is very likely that Lary will be completely in agreement with using his design as he offered it for others to use.
Right O' His time if he wants to donate it to the cause good on him
Old 11-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by HONDA99
Sorry I did not realize that it is kind of like stealing their design. I was not planning on doing the exact thing as them I just mainly wanted to see how they got it mounted up and the angles on the pipe. That is all I really wanted the measurements on. But I see what you are saying. I am sorry if I offended anyone.
No Harm, No Foul

I just don't want a manufacturer calling me with law suit threats because somebody is sharing their design measurements on the forum.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 AM

Hey Wyo thanks for the advice. I am just trying to get some ideas and figure out what all I need to do this. I am trying to save some money cause I cant afford a 1200 dollar original. I most likely wont get started on this until after deer season but once I finish i will post up some pics. Thanks again.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:08 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

No problem. For what it's worth, mind basically matches the lines of my front grill, then transitions to the lines of my headlights. The space between my headlights and the guard then continues past the outside line of the headlights where it wraps back towards the cab.

One problem I have with mine is when I am working on the truck the space between the guard and the radiator is too short for my foot to fit in. I always manage to press in a couple more fins on the radiator. If I were to design one, I would increase the spacing between the guard and the grill a bit so I could step on the bumper between the guard and the radiator a little more comfortably.

There is also a step on mine at the bottom that is set back just a bit. I would bring this forward a bit as well. It is a nice stretch on the hamstrings when you stand on it and reach into the engine compartment, but after a while it gets a bit irritating.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:09 PM

Cool thanks for all the help. I have gotten the word from my wifes grandpa that he has a few projects going on now but after new years he will be free to help me. So once I get it going I will try to get some pictures up for you guys. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:58 AM

Here's mine
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t279183.html
I didn't go with the full tube grill guard, but if I did it would be welded to some flanges that bolt through the top of the bumper. That way you can unbolt it when you need somewhere to stand while working under the hood. I just sent some kits out to two other members, pm me if you'd like to get the pieces pre cut, or I can get you the dimensions and you can make your own.