Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need quick answer regarding EGT !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need quick answer regarding EGT !!!!!

Ok a 2003 HO running an Edge EZ on level 3. I have an EGT guage coming but it is not here yet. Well something came up an I have to pull around 19,000# for 200 miles tommarow moring. Through alot or rolling hill country. Do you think I sould be unhooking the Edge to be safe and not run the temps up too high? It is not worth taking a chance on if their will be a problem.....
Old 05-15-2003, 04:36 PM

Re:Need quick answer regarding EGT !!!!!

no experience with the 03's/EZ but I wouldn't tow 19,000 lbs on my 02/EZ through a bunch of hills without gauges. I run mine without the boost elbow and empty (haven't put my guages on yet) but thats it -- I won't even put the boost elbow on without gauges 'cause I still have factory air. <br><br>just my opinion of course, but I'd play it safe. you'll want to hear from someone who has experimented with the 03's before you fly blind.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:50 PM

The boost elbow alone should raise the EGT thought right, more boost was suppose to help I thought?
Old 05-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Banned

With an EZ and more boost, your EGT's should drop from stock. Stock on mine (everything minus Comp), I can hit dang near 1350. With the Comp in EZ mode and 30 psi of boost, I can barely hit 1000 on a hot day. And that's romping it off the line on 5x5 all the way up to 100mph. If your still a little uneasy, just unhook it. It's not like it's that hard to do.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:06 PM

My temps rise faster but max out slightly lower than without the ez, thats on 4 with boost elbow.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:34 PM

[quote author=Mopar_Mudder link=board=7;threadid=14782;start=0#138626 date=1053035401]<br>The boost elbow alone should raise the EGT thought right, more boost was suppose to help I thought?<br>[/quote]<br><br>I know that in my head but just haven't had the nerve to hook it up. I'm sorta rusty in the fueling/turbo area As the theory goes, the boost elbow should *lower* the EGT by permitting higher boost pressures (more air) for a given fueling level. <br><br>What I don't understand yet, however, is this: if the elbow is said to reduce EGTs, that means an EZ box is capable of fueling the stock turbo beyond it's wastegated threshold -- normally dumping hot EGs out the tailpipe. with the elbow in, you allow those hot gasses to spin the turbo, boost manifold pressure, and burn that fuel rather than sending it out the back. so how does burning more of the fuel result in an EGT reduction? is it because the higher boost pressures result in higher airflow in the exhaust pipe than would occur by simple wastegating? <br><br>Also, I've been reluctant to put in the Edge elbow because I haven't been convinced yet that the new wastegate threshhold was good for the HX (thought it might dial it in too high). That said, some of the fueling and turbo experts here please chime in -- thinking about this more, I doubt that the EZ fuels enough to take the HX beyond where it should go. is that true? <br><br>now then, didn't I hear that the 03's come with a bigger exhaust pipe? If that were the case I'd feel better about flying blind while towing 19,000 lbs with an EZ. <br><br>I have to say, BigBlue's report is pretty compelling evidence. no sustained 19000 lb pulls, though
Old 05-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Banned

From what I've heard, you can spin an HX upwards of 35 psi and it's just fine. There are even a couple of people who have spun them to 40 or so psi without issues. Now, I wouldn't spin mine that high (I've got the HY35/9), but I do spin mine to 30 and it is fine. You need the extra boost to burn the extra fuel. Unburned fuel is what causes high EGT's. There is a point to where you can have to much boost and raise EGT's, but I wouldn't worry bout that. The boost elbow that comes with the Comp is designed to push just the right amount of boost for the extra fuel that you have. It will not overboost your turbo. Go ahead and hook up the elbow. You'll be fine. There are three reasons why I haven't towed 19,000lbs yet. One, I don't have a trailer that heavy. Two, I don't have a gooseneck/5th wheel. And three, I slipped my TC pulling a fourwheeler trailer. :'(
Old 05-15-2003, 05:54 PM

As much as I hate to I think I am going to unhook it for the pull, just hate to take the chance with it. I haven't really heard any problems with the EZ on the 2003's and EGT, but then I haven't heard from anyone pulling heavy weight for long periods either.<br><br>Their is no problem with running the boost elbow with out the EZ right?<br><br>I may leave it hooked up for the empty pull up their, the trailer empty is in the 9000# area I believe.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:56 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I think the &quot;elbow&quot; without the &quot;Box&quot; will set an overboost code.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:17 PM

yea, thats right. hmmm, what about the comp when it's power is turned off and everything still hooked up? thats a good thing to keep in mind, those of us with comps even in EZ mode-- when you turn the thing off are you in danger of setting a code? makes you want to get an outboard boost fooler that is always &quot;on&quot;. <br><br>back to the issue at hand: my question is this: is the stock truck (EZ off) really capable of enough fueling to set an overboost code? what boost pressure will set the code, and where is the stock wastegate pressure? <br><br>I'm sure you'd be ok pulling 9,000 with the EZ. 19,000 is one heavy pull though. without further understanding the overboost code thing , I wouldn't unhook the box and leave the elbow in -- I'd remove the elbow as well. <br><br>Or: Why not just disconnect the bus connection and leave the boost fooler connection in there? 03 may be different from the 02 and I only know the 02. my point is that to keep the elbow you gotta keep sending false boost information to the ECM or you probably will throw a code. If you can preserve the boost fooling capability of the box by leaving it on and hooked up to the boost connector, then you should be ok. Then your EZ becomes only a boost fooler and not a fueling box.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:47 PM

Well their is no &quot;boost fooler&quot; hook up like in the previous year. Hooked up and pulled the trailer home empty tonight and you can really tell the extra power is thier, the thing hardly works at all to pull it so I can't imagine the EGT are getting too high.

Another option is that I can turn the box all the way down to the #1 setting to still leave it hooked up. Setting #1 is 30hp versus setting #3 I am at now is 60hp.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:06 PM
tcb

#1 setting sounds good to me, temps should be low enough just refrain from romping on it. i too am waiting on my x-monitor and scotty III.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:09 PM

Just like the old days and 12V powerups...higher EGTS should really show up on the Coolant temp gauge. If coolant temps does not increase you are not running anything to hot. If you see coolant temps increaseing back out of it alittle.<br><br><br>jjw<br>ND
Old 05-15-2003, 10:10 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

If the '03 hooks to the MAP sensor like the other years then the EZ doesnt let the motor see the added boost allowing you to use the boost aiding elbow. The elbow was designed to be used with the EZ so use it, but if you remove the EZ the elbow has to come off too or, yes, you will set a overboost code. As for towing that much weight, I would have to say you are running a risk without gauges. Thats a lot to tow and expect everything to run cool enough for you to just mash the petal and go. Yes the EZ is supposed to give lower EGT's but even so you are gambling.<br>Dont worry about spinning the HX to high with the EZ. It wont explode or anything but after 35 psi or so the turbo cant push any more air without building excess heat. Heat robs power. Thats why guys get bigger turbos that allow more psi at an efficient level so as not to build heat.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:35 PM

Thats why I got the Diesel Dynamics box, it has a zero setting with boost fooling. Hated to spend the extra but I wanted that feature. My understanding is you wont throw a code without the boost fooling unless you pull enough boost to set off the stock overboost setting? Not sure where that is, stock I think 24 some odd was the highest I saw. It would be nice to know for sure on that.

Quick Reply: Need quick answer regarding EGT !!!!!