Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

need opinions on performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need opinions on performance upgrades

Ok guys I finally got some spare money coming in (got rid of the wife)

My truck is a 99 24v with 5spd stock IP and new airtek LP

I am wanting to start upgrading my truck and so far I have done:

AFE intake
BD plug N power van aaken chip
Dual 5" stacks with straight 4" pipe leading to the stacks
I have already added a fuel pressure guage

I just replaced my lift pump because I installed a fuel pressure guage and realized my LP was dead.

I am wanting to make around 500-600hp but I still want to drive my truck every day & I want it to remain reliable.

What upgrades do yall recomend and in what order should I do them.

below is a couple pictures of my truck one is before the stacks and the other one is with the stacks.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:09 PM

well, some injectors would be the route for you at the moment. prolly gonna need some 150 horse injectors. lots of choices on brands for them. also idk what box that is but id say ur gonna want at least a drag comp or adr for numbers like that. then of course some more air to let her breathe! but that will get ya started! im sure others will chime in wit lil more say in the matter!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM

Yeah as far as chips go I am going to upgrade it to the adrenline
Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 PM

won't that thing smoke like a trane with 150s? I've got some 80s and i smoke pretty good befor the turbo spools up. i had to take the mod off my edge ez so i didn't push too much smoke in town. First off i'd say put a fass or air dog feul pump in there, it'll make a big differnce. Get the 150 GPH pump so you don't have to upgrade down the road. Then put some injectors in 80's or 100's or bigger if you really want smoke(may need big to get that HP) Keep in mind if you go bigger than 80's you'll need a turbo that much more. then get a better clutch, maybe a 550HP rated south bend or go up to a double disc. Then buy a turbo maybe twins, and get the adreline soon so you can dump enough feul to spool that turbo. farther than that i'm not sure. I'm currently waiting to save some cash for a clutch just got the 80 hp injectors and they work awsome. i'm looking for the same power as you and mine will be a daily driver, it is now and will be for years to come. By the way have you blocked your wastegate? and is that the van akien chip that just plugs into the map and the engine com plug? I have a way to mod it if you want to know.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:17 PM

Read my sig. I rarelly even use the TST anymore just the smarty unless I want to black out the county. I drive this truck daily and it is a blast. A 95gpm lift pump will support up to 600hp on #2
Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by rage_blue
By the way have you blocked your wastegate? and is that the van akien chip that just plugs into the map and the engine com plug? I have a way to mod it if you want to know.

yes my chip is the BD plug N power chip

I believe this is it
http://www.treasurestate.com/diesel/plugnpower.htm

and no I dont have my wastegate blocked dont know how????
Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 AM

I'm where you want to be and I run in the high 12s and drive daily with my set-up. Check out my sig.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 AM

I also consistently pull down 20-21 mpg. And there are better choices for turbos out there now days. I installed the Sledpuller 66 back when it was the newest thing. It works for me and because of the 65mm wheel and 14 cm housing I am still able to tow with it.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:05 AM

what should I do as far as realibility. I know I need to replace the head studs. and I have heard about O ring's (not sure what it means). I also know that I need a boost gauge and pyro. on a manual do I need a trans temp?

Is there any other things I should look into. I know I need the larger flywheel and a better clutch also.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:15 AM

on a manual you do not need a trans temp guage. put a fuel pressure guage in instead. O rings are a process where a groove is cut into the head, or the block, or both so that a small wire can be installed so that when you tourqe down the cyl head they make a ring of steel around the cyl. It makes the head gasket harder to blow.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:10 AM

ok is O ring recomended for 500-600hp?

and I already have the fuel pressure guage. thats how I found out my lift pump was dead!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:31 AM

anything over 45 psi I would O ring and stud. I will get beat to death for saying 45psi because many have run 55 psi and been fine. Many have blown at 45 also. On the truck in my sig if I turn the TST and the smarty to kill I can pump out around 75 psi of boost. I havn't gotten around to dyno time yet ,but the guy I had guide me along my journey said I should be sitting on 600hp no prob and he has built quite a few of these things.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:34 AM

should I go with the smarty tst combo or will I be ok with the adrelinen? and still be able to reach the number I am wanting?

Also where would I take my truck to have it Oringed?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:04 AM

i think one of the best setups is a good box like an edge comp or adrenaline, a good set of 150 hp injectors. and a 62/71/14 turbo like a super phat shaft from industrial injection. you already have the basics. all you need to support more power is a clutch egt and boost gauge
Old 09-06-2008, 09:51 AM

I don't know much about the adrenaline but I have heard alot of guys get more out of the tst smarty stack over a box with timing because they can make use of all of the timing the smarty has available. tst doesn't do any timing. If you dig around in the search you may be able to find some old posts about guys switching from edge to TST and vice versa and they pulled higher #'s with the tst stack. That is why I got my tst over the edge I was originally looking at