Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need opinions on 12cm vs 16cm exhaust housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doodah..........................................
An easy fix would be to put a free-er flowing air filter on it i.e. k&n, afe, scotty, or a dry flow from AEM (non oiled) and build yourself an airbox that'll pull cold outside air in. Then you'll be gettin those egt's down. Couple of guys up here did just that dumped the BHAF and put their k&n cones back on and built air boxes. I WISH HE'D (got...DIESEL?) post about his airbox he made for him and his boss and what did for them egt wise, he told me they lost about 150* - 225* on the egt gauge. And both have the same build as you. got...DIESEL? is putin on his pre intercooler water-meth today so I'm sure once he gets that done he'll speek up on his air box he built.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:14 AM

Id be interested in that intake mod. I am running the K&N cone with a foam prefilter right now anyway. We need a write up with pictures!

Eric
Old 01-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

I'll be doing it myself in the next month or so with pics! DIESEL? is the one with the working model pm him tell him to take some pics and post-em.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Banned

Ya know what maybe I'll take pics in a coouple of minutes for myself!!!! Then I'll post'em. His "trial" air box is made of a group 27 marine battery box. I think I'll bend mine up of stainless steel sheet metal, but I'll steal some pics of his this morning
Old 01-14-2006, 12:31 PM

Please do! that would be great!
Old 01-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Banned

Pictures are uploaded and waiting for approval!!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Banned

PICTURES simple but very effective!

these are got...DIESEL's:

And this is his bosses truck, on his they used 5" coming out of the stock air hole which seemed to fit better. The ducting they both used was marine wet exhaust hose (without wire)

Materials:
1 group 27 marine battery box
1 foot of 3" wet exhaust hose (no wire) for the 3" hole in firewall that you just cut
1 foot of 5" wet exhaust hose (no wire) for the stock air hole in the fender

Pretty quick and easy way to get a cold air box without alot of fabrication
Old 01-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Banned

okay okay....yeah it helped alot...a whole lot. I could pull the bhaf down to 7" regularly and found cfm potential really sucked on this filter, not to mention pulling in engine bay air is not a "cool" thing. I went back to the K&N and then built the air box.

The firewall hole is 4", and the side hose is 4" also. Originally I used just the firewall port but could still see high vacuum so I added the second one. On my bosses we refined it and made the side port 5.5"....which fits the stock fender hole perfectly w/o the plastic insert, and lets in a lot of air. Those of you with scotty's know the extra noise you get with a firewall port, but I don't mind it....but some might. All hose is non-wire hose and standard wet exhaust stuff. I would change mine again to the larger hose but its temporary...the twins are being fabbed, and a new system is being engineered for those. I ama firm believer in cool outside air as well as ram air to alleviate any pressure depressions at the turbo inlet, so a ram air hood with an airpan are being designed...or a shaker box...haven't decided for sure. As 'slope said, me and my boss both realized a couple hundred degree decrease in EGT with the cold air boxes. Take our elevation, temp and humidity in account though. I don't know if this has any effect on results.

Yes, I did the pre-turbo AND post IC Water/Meth as well yesterday....be starting another thread about that one. The results are gonna shake the foundations..........
Old 01-15-2006, 12:55 PM

Nice! Im gonna have to try something like that... Are the EGT's mainly lower when at WOT/under load, or cruising, or both?

Eric
Old 01-15-2006, 05:30 PM

Nice pix, But couldn't I do this mod, and still use the BHAF in the box?? if it fits?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
think about it guys... if a modded 12cm can regulate the boost where a 16cm would overboost, the modded 12cm gated housing flows BETTER than a nwg16
I'm SO confused right now on Turbo Upgrades it ain't funny.

Please explain the modded 12cm gated housing.

What's the least expensive way to upgrade a HX35 ??
Old 01-15-2006, 06:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Modding the 12cm housing is fairly straightforward. The wastegate only wastes the rear three cylinders, which is fine for stock fueling. With the housing off, you can put it in a drill press and drill through the existing wastegate hole and through the center divider. Now, when the gate opens, all 6 cylinders 'see' the gate, allowing more exhaust flow without increased boost. Some have taken this a step further and milled the center divider out almost completely. I'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow. With your current setup, a massaged 12cm housing with an upgraded compressor side would make for a fun truck, for sure!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Banned

No, for a bhaf you'd have to use something like an action packer from rubbermaid 18" x 24" lol. Nah serioiusly though the whole idea why my bro my dad and I are getting away from the bhafs is when we dumped the stock injectors and put the big ones in. the bhaf only flows about 680 cfm per wix corporation specifcations, not nearly enough when you add big injectors to the mix. So the whole idea for me was to find a NON OILED high flow air filter. AEM Power makes one, I've got one on order it's called a "Dry Flow" it's made from polyester and is cleanable. Check aempower.com if you don't like oiled air filters. The one I'm gettin is the same dimension as the K&N cone filter. The bhaf is a good filter but mind you for its correct application it probably has some sort of housing allowing a cold air charge. It no doubtedly has excellent filtering properties but no good even for us small 160 pumped trucks with big injectors. It's bad to have a vacuum before the turbo, makes the turbo even less efficient.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Banned

yeah, what he said............ I'll be ordering one of those up as well...though in 6" inlet diameter.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Banned

Ya know I'm a freak when it comes to p/n#'s, guess that's why I'm a parts guy so here's some AEM p/n#'s:

21-2059DK 4.0” x 9” DRYFLOW Synthetic Air Filter (4"ID x 9" long)

21-2099DK 6.0” x 9” DRYFLOW Synthetic Air Filter (6"ID x 9" long)

Mind you these #'s are for the filters only! You must get in addition the filter cleaning kit sold separately, or with the cold air kit. But I don't have the # for the cleaning kit yet

http://trucks.aempower.com/product_i...sp?subCatID=25 - scroll to the bottom of the page for elements only

Quick Reply: Need opinions on 12cm vs 16cm exhaust housing