Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need opinion on chosing D or E rated tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:17 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Need opinion on chosing D or E rated tires

I have two tires in mind and I'm about to go and get one of them real soon but I need some opinions. One is about $100 cheaper (total cost) but is a D rated tire with a max weight of 3300 lbs. And the other is an E rated tire with a max of 3400 lbs. Now, is an E rated tire that much better for this truck, being towing capacity, and wear longevity or is the D rated tire going to suit me just as good? Especially since they are only weighted around 100 lb. difference. Right now I have a D rated tire that wore OK but I felt the compound was to soft for such a heavy truck. Also when I hook up the TT I have to run max psi in the rear or they will squat a little. Not much, but a little. I realize that the E has a couple of more ply's but wont that make it ride harsher? Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your towin a TT then I would go with E.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:49 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
My experience with "D" rated tires is they always wore like they were underinflated, even when I kept the pressure 5 pounds over their max rating.
The sidewalls were not stiff enough to carry the load of the heavy Cummins engine.
Went with "E" rated Cooper tire this time, they're wearing fine at 10 psi under max.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Though it's "only" two more plies, that represent a 25% increase over a D rated tire, and 66% increase over C rated.

Having compared identical E rated and C rated tires (REVOs in 265 size), it's truly remarkable to feel the difference in sidewall thickness and carcass rigidity.

I know that E rating reduces the options you have (especially in larger sizes), but SAFETY is always your best option.

jlh
Old 03-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Need opinion on chosing D or E rated tires

Originally posted by KATOOM
Right now I have a D rated tire that wore OK but I felt the compound was to soft for such a heavy truck.
I think you answered your own question with that statement.

I have D's currently.
The always look like they are low, even with max or max+ pressure in them.
Squirrely steering, you get 1/4 turn on the steering wheel before the tire says OK, I'll stop twisting the sidewall now and actually turn.
Seem to be wearing a little faster on the outside edges, rotating won't help that.

Next tire will be E's, even though I'll have to shell out upwards of $300 bucks per, for the size I want.

Oh, I don't even tow anything. If you're towing definately go with the E. No question.

phox
Old 03-12-2005, 12:19 PM

I have been running the D's on my truck instead of the E's. I have not seen any difference/ That being said I can feel more sidewall roll when the truck is pushed into a turn. I don't tow more than 10,000.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:28 PM

Ive got some D rated 265's and they are wearing terrible. The right rear is wearing in the center with only 50psi. The left rear has a valve stem leak and it is usually low down to about 25-30psi, and it is wearing fine, but both tires squat with 50+psi in them. I have no edges on the outside fronts (mainly my fault for not getting alligned).

So, im in need of some new shoes and im definately going with E rated tires, for the durability, load handling, better driving characteristics, and piece of mind.

Im gonna pick these up because they can be found all day long for close to the same price on this page http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...07&rd=16&ar=75

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2005, 01:53 PM

If you can get an E go for it. Some tires only D's are available.
I run PROCOMP tires and they only come in D ratings.
Overall they wear about the same as the factory E tires and are more stable (larger).
Old 03-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Banned

These tire sizes lose me. Went to the tire dealer and looked at the all terrains I want. The size I want only comes in D rating, but the max load weight is higher than the same tire in a smaller size with an E rating. So do I go with the highest load rating or the D-E rating to get the sturdiest tire.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by 99 cummins
These tire sizes lose me. Went to the tire dealer and looked at the all terrains I want. The size I want only comes in D rating, but the max load weight is higher than the same tire in a smaller size with an E rating. So do I go with the highest load rating or the D-E rating to get the sturdiest tire.
Check out http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp.

They may not have the best price on the tires you want, but they have some good tools and info for comparing the tires they carry. You may find what you are looking for there.

I love my H rated tires!!
Old 03-13-2005, 12:25 AM

I would not consider lower than an E rated tire, even running empty. The front axle is always loaded and needs more than 60 pounds to properly hold it up. Safety is the issue.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:19 PM

I have D's

I honestly do not like them... They are really a soft ride, I was used to a 93 F250 with 1 ton springs running on 235/85/16.. i was literally used to kidneys in my throat.. now with 8 plies, they have not given me any problems dont get me wrong, just need to air them a lil more often. Off the beaten path, i just try and avoid gettin the sidewalls, whether they are 8 or 10 ply, but i do feel safer with 10 ply tires.. Right now i swapped them out for some Liberators from wallyworld, no one had the 285's here in laredo in BFG AT, and i had one of my good tires in the front slashed, and both of my rears were kinda outta it, i needed tires as in asap, so between clases i went and bought them for 420 dollars load range D, 285/75/16, not what i wanted, but they will serve their purpose, so far 200 miles on them, no problems.. i hope they stay that way...

Tx
Old 03-13-2005, 09:31 PM

I am totaly confused. I see so many diesels with D rated tires around here its not even funny. Not to mention, about 75% of them also have lifts which I'm sure is the biggest reason. So I asked one of the tires shop managers and he told me that they (Les Schwab) have been putting the D rated tire on all the diesels with great wear results. Said the compound is very hard where as the ones I have are very soft. He wasnt sure how the E rated tire I was looking at would wear since they were fairly new and there isnt enough of them out there to give me an answer. I have to give him some credit though since the E's would cost about $100 more to install. I do here everything you guys are saying, too. Man, I just would like the $800 or so dollars to last me a little while.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:41 PM

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that when I was talking to the Les Schwab manager his explanation for the reason you dont see very many E rated 285's is because of the contact area of the tire. The 285's have a larger foot print which will support more weight as where the smaller tire needs a stiffer side wall to hold up the same amount of weight. Kinda like the snow shoe? Sound logical? Dont know.