Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need New Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The AGM batteries have the acid suspended in fabric so that the batteries can be mounted in any position, on the side, upside down, etc. They are also lighter, longer lasting and easier to charge.

The stock wet cell batteries like to dribble down the fenders destroying the paint, an AGM is well worth the money to protect your paint. Take a long trip and better put plastic over the battery to help the paint. Another occurrence is one of them blowing up, several here, including me, have had that happen, makes a mess of the engine compartment.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hipsi
Yea but a red top is not in the same class as a yellow or blue top.
My my, and I thought that is what I said
Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
My my, and I thought that is what I said
Let's just agree to agree
Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
The logic is fine, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I personally have a use for extra duty batteries, you don't. Mine are not "toys"
it is my business. It is all perspective. Why do you have your toys at home, why air conditioning? You don't need it, or do you. I need to be able to sit for 18 hours with full power and then start my truck. You don't. My freezer and refridg draw near 10 amps steady drain, add that up. Then add the inverter and what it draws. Or I could just use cheap batteries and idle the truck all night and day, at about 30 bucks a day in fuel or more.

When I was running my Ram for the same duty, I ended up with two trails of acid burns down my fenders, constant dead batteries, one blew up, three alternators, and so on. The Optima batteries stopped all that. Those in cold areas have other reasons for better batteries, they like to start their vehicles. Fine you don't need them, it would be foolish for you to buy them. You have a Dodge diesel, why not just an S10? Because you feel you need it.

I personally think it is stupid to spend near a million for a converted bus that you can sleep in and not have to pay Holliday Inn for a room. But obviously others don't mind the spending. I will tell you this, if I wake up and it is 20 degrees and go to start my truck.... it starts. Well worth the $1100 I paid for five deep cycle AGM batteries a year ago. Could even mean my life. You don't think it is out of line to get up in the morning and make coffed and put on some toast. Why would you waste the money on the coffeemaker and toaster, then pay for the electricity? Well I do the same, in the truck, and mostly thanks to the "toys" batteries on this truck.

Don't try to run others lives, you probably have enough trouble running your own.
Lighten up Francis.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:07 PM

Easy Billy...go out to your truck and have a couple more cups of coffee....