Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need More Power!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Need More Power!!

Hi iam obviously new, but i want to jump right in and show my ignorance. I have been looking at parts for this 1996 i bought today and i have many questions. Its an auto by the way. I read many of the old threads and i heard a lot of new terms. I wanted to start off with a new plate for the pump. I found several on sites in the $200.00 range and several on e-bay for like $60.00. Are these less expensive ones ok? They claim a one piece design.Also, there is a #100? It says it has the power of a #0 if you step on it but the economy of a #10? Is this crap? What # do i want? Looking for all the power gains i can get, starting with the pump etc. What about an afc spring? Need one? What about the governor spring? Need one? Can someone tell me honestly how much power this stuff is worth? What is my best bang for the buck, short of a big turbo etc? What about injectors? I am trying to keep this truck streetable but with a lot of power and of course whatever fuel economy i can salvage. Someone please tell me where to begin and in what order. I already read about gauges and trans and i will start there also.Thank you in advance. The more info you can tell me would be great.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:46 PM

If you plan on doing anything performance then the first thing you and to get is a new trans. The stock one wont take much power over stock and depending on the miles and previous owners that might be your first mod.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:17 PM

This truck does have high miles but, i pulled the pan today and it looks very fresh inside like the seller told me it was. i know that the stock trans wont hold up to the extra power, but i still want to add the power and then i will upgrade the trans when i see those major power returns you guys are talking about. so can you give me your opinion on the pump mods and if the lower priced one piece plates i found on e-bay are ok? What about#100Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 08:23 PM

i bought a #100 plate from ebay. works mint. install that, slide it forward all the way. turn up your starwheel in the AFC housing, and prepare to get a new transmission.. oh ya. um your going to need guages like pickupman90 said.. and an exhaust system for lower egts... Right now im currently running:

#100 plate (full forward)
BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter)
AFE Torque Tube
Wastegate line is pinched
Starwheel is turned up
and 5" straight pipe to 6" stacks.

and some others im forgetting

all on stock transmission. it is holding up... still slips a little bit but thats cause my truck has only 55k miles on it. Transmission is my next upgrade. and i would suggest that first before putting power into your truck.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:37 PM

Awesome, thanks for the inf. I have been installing gauges today. I actually only got the boost press. one on, tommorrow ill install the egt. I showed around 17 lbs. of boost at full throttle. Is this ok? I did all the exhaust and intake stuff to my powerstroke.It seemed to help it a bit but that was an older truck and without replacing the injectors and possibly the high press oil pump, there werent as many amall upgrades for that truck that were as significant as these seem like they should be.Exolent, Thanks for the help.Does the #100 work like they say? ok on mileage when driven normally and smokin power when you step on it? Also, What kind of egt temps are normal for a stock truck? Where do you recomend installing the probe exactly?
No one has actually said yet, does this plate really make noticable sick power?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:02 AM

Exolent,I also forgot to ask, Where do i find tech stuff like how to turn up the star wheel, and how much? Also whats with the pump timing? At what point do you change pump timing and how much of that? My main question is still,(blowing up the trans aside), what are the steps to get real power out of this truck as far as the pump goes. And aside from the exhaust which i plan to do first with the air-cleaner is the pump the place to start? Also do i have any shot of beating a guys 03 which has only got the banks six gun on it and no other mods?Again mine is an old 96 auto 4wd. His is also an auto 4wd.
Thanks for putting up with all these kindergarden age questions.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:07 AM

To find all the answers on how to do the 'tech' stuff as you put it, just click search. There are lengthy threads and detailed step by step instructions on how to do them.

The #100 plate does seem to work like they say, im not sure about the HP but before i put it in i was getting about 388 miles to empty. now im getting about 400.(and i am always on the throttle) You can do a search about pump timing also im sure there are lengthy threads about that.

Now on to getting real power out of these 12 valves through the pump.

3k or 4k governor spring kit (you will notice a HUGE difference)
and a fuel plate (full forward)
and turn up your starwheel screw (very easy to do)

Right now you probably could not beat an 03 unless u side swipe him and put him into the wall :-P just kiddingg

Trending Topics

Old 07-06-2008, 10:34 AM

Hey thanks man, awesome feedback. This is the best site like this ive seen!No one here seems like ... Well you know, thanks again!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slothrockit
Hey thanks man, awesome feedback. This is the best site like this ive seen!No one here seems like ... Well you know, thanks again!
So where ya from? We have a few Chapter members here in MD that will tweak that 12v for free. Eric just ground a fuel plate for free, pretty easy.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:04 AM

o ya i ground my stock fuel plate to a #100, but accidently ordered one a week before lol well commited to buy
Old 07-06-2008, 11:53 AM

Im out here in Hell! I mean Tucson AZ. right next to hell, temp wise. I have been taking advantage of the search and i found a bunch of mods like the gsk thing with the washers. Think i will do this today. Also what is the afc spring kit? does this one help? Hey anybody run Biodiesel in there stuff? I make my own and have been running it in wifes Benz and my little Benz and my old Power-stroke. The only one that doesn't like it much is the stroke.I had to pull all the injectors and replace the o-rings and also burned up the lift pump in the valley. Pulling injectors on that truck sucks bad!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:13 PM

slothrockit, I put the afc spring kit in mine. It replaces the stock spring that the boost controlled diaphram in the afc housing pushes on with one that has less resistance. The kit comes with two springs...a med and a soft spring. I'll try to describe what it's doing. There is an afc foot that blocks the governor arm from hitting the fuel plate until enough boost is built to move the foot out of the way. This is controlled by boost acting on the diaphram in the afc housing. When enough boost is created to push the spring, via the diaphram, that foot will move out of the way and let the govenor arm swing further forward thus giving you more fuel. By using springs with less resistance, less boost is required to move the foot out of the way. If I remember correctly, I think the a stock 215 pump needs at least 8 lbs boost to begin to move the foot. The kit will allow the foot to begin moving out of the way with as little as 2-3 lbs boost with the softest spring. I found the afc spring kit is great for fine tuning off idle smoke and engine responce. Many don't bother with the afc spring kit. They slide the afc housing forward, effectively moving the foot forward trying to give the govenor arm a head start. Some even grinde the foot down. Others have completely removed the foot all together, called gutting the afc. With the exception of gutting the afc, if you opt to simply slide the housing forward, you still will not move the foot out of the way until you build enough boost to act on the spring. The kit allows you to lower the amount of boost necessary to move the foot. Hopefully I've described this correctly for you.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:18 AM

Thanks Hercules! Thats a great description, I appreciate that. Hey after i put the boost gauge on yesterday and when on a test drive i noticed after pinching off the wastgate hose temporarly, that i could still only get like 20lbs. of boost? I also noticed that the moter really does lay over at 2500rpm. Will both these problems be solved with anew fuel plate and redoind the gsk?and should i stick with the 3kgsk or can i do the 4kgsk without valvesprings right away? Thanks again.